3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 7:07 PM by janagewen

Hell freezes over as Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation

kingfish

Fifteen years ago, Steve Ballmer memorably declared Linux was a cancer. Now, Microsoft announced it was joining the Linux Foundation. That’s not a completely unprecedented move, given that Microsoft has been getting steadily chummier with open source software over the last few years. There’s a Linux Bash shell integrated into Windows 10’s Anniversary Update, after all. But joining the organization responsible for maintaining Linux and for funding various open source projects? That’s a true 180 from where the company used to be.

Microsoft also launched a beta of SQL Server for Linux, while Google just joined the .NET Foundation, PC World reports. Microsoft is releasing a version of Visual Studio for the Mac, although this is based on Xamarin, not a straight port of Visual Studio. Samsung has a preview version of Visual Studio for Tizen, which will allow .NET applications to be built for Samsung’s non-Android hardware. If you wanted to blow someone’s mind from 2010, try telling them that Microsoft will help build Linux, Samsung wants VS support for Tizen, and Google has added .NET after spending so much time and effort investing in Java.

SQL Server should be available on Linux by the middle of next year. Those of you hoping for a suite of consumer-friendly cross-platform announcements may need to wait a little longer — there’s no indication that general application compatibility at the consumer level is coming to either operating system, and certainly no known plans to make APIs like DirectX 11 or 12 cross-compatible. Of course, some would argue that Vulkan supersedes the need for such support in any case, but we’ve heard similar arguments about OpenGL versus DirectX (pre-DX12) for over a decade. Even after Valve’s work to bring Steam to Linux, Linux gaming lags behind its Windows counterpart.

Hell freezes over as Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation - ExtremeTech

• Re: Hell freezes over as Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation
          black_zion

I think that Microsoft just wants to get a little quid pro quo, and get them to help Android apps run on Windows.

ambrose

Hi Guys,

Not sure how others feel about this but I think Linux should keep faaaarrrrrr away from this idea, Linux and other like, Distros' should keep something for themselves. Crap!!! Microsoft can't even get driver updating to work smoothly with W10 and that's their own animal. If they get their talons into OpenSource Distros'....It will be Hell for sure. IMHO.

Cheers, Ambrose

Bonjour,

The most important thing I figure out from this article is that Microsoft would release SQL Server for Linux! I think it is important for AMD, because the next year, AMD would release their ARM64 based Opteron processors. for those processors, there are no Windows products already on shelf. So Linux must be the first choice for those servers. Porting things on Linux is much easier than any other platforms, so I think Microsoft just wanted to have a try to take up that market ever dominated by Oracle and other open source DBMS. They are clever, not to release the Windows for such platform, but just take a look around and seek for the right timing...

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen