AnsweredAssumed Answered

r9 290 not properly being recognized, can't install drivers

Question asked by staryknights on Nov 16, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 by redfury

First of all I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

For the past few weeks, AMD crimson software has been telling me there was an update for my card. Every time I would try to install it, it wouldn't actually update. Today I decided I'd just uninstall the drivers and manually install the new update. However once I uninstalled, my card now isn't properly being recognized. When I looked under device manager, my GPU was showing up something generic as "display adapter" (I don't remember the exact wording). I googled and googled and finally found a solution to at least install the display driver. I right clicked on it in device manager, went to Update driver software>Browse my computer for driver software>Let me pick from a list>Have Disk and found a file in the C:\AMD folder, which ONLY seems to have installed the display driver. However, I still can't get the install manager to install drivers. The only options it displays after analyzing system are: Application Profiles, HDMI Audio Driver, AMD Install Manager.

How do I get it to work again? Sure, I have the display drivers now installed but boy that was a round-a-bout way to do it, and it won't install the rest of the programs I'd like to actually be able to use....

Outcomes