3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2016 4:31 AM by redfury

graphics card isnt being recognized

joshmiles5

I have had the Radeon R9 290x for about 4 months now and I have never had a problem with it. Yesterday I played skyrim remastered for a little while with no problems. I walked away for about 40 minutes and my computer had a black screen but sound was still playing. I would press escape and hear the pause menu come on but still no screen would appear. I would press control, alt , and delete and still nothing would happen. I held down power and forced the system off. When I turned it back on the next day my graphics card was no longer recognizable. The fans on the card are activated and everything, my computer just won't recognize the graphics card at all. I tried to use AMD's autodetect and that did not prove to be successful either. Please help!

• Re: graphics card isnt being recognized
          redfury

What do you mean by "my computer just won't recognize the graphics card at all"? Do you have a black screen (no signal) or just your device manager does not recognize your video card? In last case try to restore your system to a restore point.

joshmiles5

The computer is turning on and running off of the internal graphics. The graphics card is not appearing in device manager, I tried to fix it in BIOS. Like I said the fans on the card are running, my computer is just not able to recognize the card. I restored the system and that did not change anything either.

redfury

Any of software manipulations will do nothing in this case.Your external video card might be faulty.

1.Reinstall your 290x in currently used motherboard slot or in other PCI-e 16/8/4(long) slot

2.Check or change power connection to your card/or try another PSU

3.In BIOS your internal graphics must be off if external adapter is present

4.Reset your BIOS and update it to a latest version (it may be damaged)

5.Try to check your 290x in another PC