5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 4:26 AM by pseud

X4 860K keeps crashing, what else can I try?

pseud

I recently purchased an AMD Athlon X4 860K.

Unfortunately after installing it, the PC constantly, and seemingly randomly, freezes and crashes, requiring a hard-restart in order to continue using the PC.

When I stick the old CPU back in, the problem vanishes. We have tried everything that has thus far been suggested.

We created an RMA with the people we bought it from and they say they stress tested it for 72 hours and it showed no faults at all. They then proceeded, obviously, to charge me a testing fee as well as a postage fee for their courier to return it to us.

After them deeming it fault-less, and sending it back, we re-installed it and low and behold the crashes continued happening.

Sometimes the PC runs for 15 minutes before crashing, and we managed to get it running for just under 8 hours at one point before it crashed.

The motherboard is a GA-F2A68HM-HD2 Rev. 1.1. The GPU is a GTX 560ti and we have a Corsair GS800 (800W) PSU installed so I doubt it's a lack of power.

Since we got it back, I have installed a fresh version of Windows 10, flashed the BIOS to the latest version, reset the CMOS by removing the motherboard battery for a good 10 minutes, updated the GPU drivers and even tried running it without them, turning off Windows updates after upgrading to the latest one and also tried running the PC with no drivers or software at all except for the chipset driver and Windows 10 of course.

I'm not sure if this is going to be something obvious that jumps out at somebody or if it's more convoluted and difficult to figure out, but I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give. I'm at a loss now and am sick of spending more money on this. They are obviously refusing to refund us since they found no faults with the CPU, so we're stuck with it and I guess I better get it working, or I'll keep hounding them until they either fix it or give me a refund.

Anyways, thank you for your time and I hope to find some help!

Chris.

• Re: X4 860K keeps crashing, what else can I try?
          black_zion

What happens when you run it in safe mode? Anything in the event logs stand out?

pseud

Hard to say re. safe mode because it potentially takes so long to crash. We need to use the PC daily and can't leave it for long enough, and don't really want to leave it unsupervised overnight as when it crashes it doesn't seem to restart, it just kinda ... freezes and becomes un-usable. Although I think once it did reset.

The event log is full of Critical number 41 as you'd expect however there was one critical log that stood out, which was:

Task Scheduler service has encountered RPC initialization error in “RpcServerUseProtseq:ncacn_ip_tcp”. Additional Data: Error Value: 14.

Really not sure what this is, and it was only logged once (could have been the time it reset). My girlfriend logged the times of every time it restarted and we stopped counting at 15, over the course of 1 day/night.

In regards to "Error" entries in the logs, there's about 100 of them in the last few days, many of them are different.

There are a bunch of "Machine Hardware Errors" with the content: "Reported by: Processor Core. Source: Machine Check Exception. Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error. Processor APC ID: 2 (sometimes 3)".

Also 2 more that stand out are:

- Event 7001:The Network Location Awareness service depends on the DHCP Client service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

- DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:

Almost as if it thinks we're running server 2008, no?

I am going to bed now so will reply to anything else when I get back online. Thanks!

grizlodĀ®

Try, entering the BIOS to increase the voltage of the RAM modules @ 1.65v (although they give to 1.5v).

pseud

After removing 1 of the RAM sticks, the PC has run for a steady 24 hours without crashing. Calling the seller back now to discuss this further as it indicates a fault in the CPU.

We're also out of thermal paste so can't put the old one back in just yet - should have some more in a couple of days but for now it's working (albeit laggy because I think all the crashes have taken a toll on the CPU - everything, even videos are lagging and were before we removed the RAM)

Will see what they advise me and post here.