4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2016 8:56 AM by psitay

FX-8320 OEM is very hot in games for small loads

psitay

Hello All!

I have ATX PC case and 3 cooler (all installed on the max speed in the bios) on it and a CPU cooler - Cooler Master CK9-9HDSA-PL-GP.

Without action the CPU had ~45 degrees, in games to 70 degrees.

I decided to replace the cooler on Cooler Master GeminII SF524 RR-G524-13FK-R1. And bought a good thermal paste Arctic Cooling MX-4.

Now I have without action ~35 degrees, in games (Need for Speed World or Dragon Age: Inquisition or Titanfall and others) to 65 degrees.

Processor without overclocking, settings in the BIOS by default.

I don't know how to beat this fire. Please advise

• Re: FX-8320 OEM is very hot in games for small loads
          grizlodĀ®

By default, mainboards, apply a very generous vcore (compared to VID). Test, entering the BIOS to lower it step by step.

This definitely will lower the CPU temperature, but at every step of undervolt, tests the stability of the processor in Windows.

When will begin frezze or BSOD, ascend one or two step of vcore.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: FX-8320 OEM is very hot in games for small loads
            techguy

I would recommend that you download the applet OCCT and record the CPU vcore voltage under full load along with the internal CPU temp. If the internal CPU temp exceeds 61C under heavy load then there is definitely an issue and that issue could be the mobo not regulating the vcore voltage properly resulting in excess vcore which will cause the CPU to run hot. Most mobos offer a Load Line Conditioner/Control for the vcore voltage. Asus uses some other name for their vcore regulating circuit but the name is insignificant.

If you have choices for vcore control you will need to test each option under Full Load to see which choice retains the vcore voltage closest to the default base frequency vcore voltage, which is often displayed in the BIOS if you select manual mode but do not change anything. CPUID / CPU-Z can also advise on the default base frequency vcore voltage programmed into your CPU.

Be sure that you are reading the Internal CPU temp and NOT "CPU Temp" as this is typically the CPU socket temp which runs 10C-25C higher than the CPU internal temp. The no load temps are often inaccurate and should be ignored. OCCT, Core Temp, HWiNFO and AIDA64 read the CPU temps pretty accurately in the 60C-70C range.