2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2016 10:33 AM by 12of12

How do I fix aoddrive2.sys system thread exception BSOD problem?

12of12

• Graphics Card
        • MSI Gaming RX 480 8GB
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • If a laptop, make and model of the Laptop
      • Operating System
      • E.g. Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • AMD Overdrive
      • Display Devices
        • Cannot access as of right now
      • Motherboard
        • MSI b150 PC MATE
      • CPU/APU
        • INTEL i5 6500
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • EVGA 650W Gold
      • RAM
        • 16GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.

So this evening I was curious as to how I could control my GPU fan speed as I already know how to control my case fans using SpeedFan. I installed AMD's Overdrive into my main 1TB mechanical harddrive and as soon it was installed I get the blue screen of death saying that system thread exception cannot be handled and aoddriver2.sys. My pc keeps restarting on an endless loop unless if I boot it into safe mode (which I did to try uninstall the graphics card driver but it did not work). I am now in CMD from the troubleshoot option in advanced boot options scanning for corrupt files.

• Details about applications/games affected (including version number)

Logging in is an issue as I have to be extremely quick to log in before getting the BSOD. Even then, after logging in i'll get it anyway almost immediately.

• Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)

n/a

• If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue

• Re: How do I fix aoddrive2.sys system thread exception BSOD problem?
          amdmatt

AMD Overdrive is not applicable to the RX 480, so this is likely the reason for your issue. If you can, please uninstall it. You'll need to use Wattman, which is included in our latest drivers.

Download DDU to remove your current drivers. Restart the system and download Crimson 16.11.4 and install the driver. Restart.

Navigate to Radeon Settings > Gaming > Global Settings > Wattman and unlock it. From here you can control fan speeds etc.

• Re: How do I fix aoddrive2.sys system thread exception BSOD problem?
              12of12

hey amd matt if you are still here, i have another problem with my graphics and it's cause major stuttering in game and everytime i move in any game, everything increases in contrast like every line seems bolder and highlighted with this white color. I went into my amd radeon settings and i'm on 16.6 and it says there is an update available. I went to update it and a series of problems occurred with my screen to the point where it restarted my pc and i only saw a black screen (black sod). I had to eventually restore my pc to a restore point but i have several problems in game and it's really frustrating how i've already had so many problems. How do I update my amd radeon settings without having to blow up my computer again? Also I know it needs an update because everytime I click display in the amd radeon settings, it says something about host application has stopped working and the last time i fixed this was by updating it. I went to the website and the Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.2 Optional only installs this amd software thing which only checks for new drivers like the auto detect utility. I am so confused so any help would be appreciated.