4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 3:52 AM by guybrush

System freeze since Crimson 16.10.3 + RadeonCrimson software not opening

guybrush

Hey guys,

I experience system crashes or rather freezes since I updated to crimson 16.10.3. Yesterday I did update to 16.11.3 and the freezes persist.

What exactly happens:
      At some point while browsing, Chrome stops responding. Programs in background i.e.: GIMP, Thunderbird, Firefox still work. After some seconds they also stop responding. Taskmanager does not open. Start Menu > Symbols grayed out, not responding. Full System freeze.

Only flipping the on/off switch on the PSU helps.

I haven't done anything specific to cause this freeze and wasn't able to force a reproduce. It happens when it wants to happen.

Furthermore, the Crimson software won't open anymore since 16.11.3. I had this problem already in the past but after updating some time later to the next version it resolved itself. Still it's annoying. I usually right-click the desktop to open it. Opening from the Taskbar doesn't work aswell. Cancelling the process via Taskmanager and restarting the Radeon Software also does not help

System information:

Sapphire Radeon 7870, 2Gb

Desktop, Asrock Z87Pro3 Haswell, Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 (@4 x 3,7GHz), 16Gb 1067MHz DDR3,

Windows 10, 64 bit

Radeon Crimson 16.11.3

Displays:

Samsung SyncMaster B2230(TFT) via DVI @ 1680x1050p, 60Hz

Philips TV (Plug&Play) via HDMI @ 1360x768p, don't remember refresh rate