AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using a headless GPU under Windows Server 2012 R2

Question asked by ilindsay on Nov 14, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 2, 2017 by scole250

Hi all,

I have asked this on the general forum and currently have a support ticket outstanding for some advice, but I thought it wouldn't do any harm in the mean time to ask here too in case this is something someone here has managed to get working. For reference, my original post is here:

OpenGL/DirectX Support With S9100 GPU on Windows Server 2012 R2

Briefly, we have a Dell PowerEdge R730 with an AMD FirePro S9100 GPU installed that we are intending to use to perform some server side rendering under Windows Server 2012 R2. The card does not seem to get recognised by DirectX/OpenGL, with all rendering performed on the on-board graphics. As the card is headless, hacks involving dummy plugs, resistors poked into the monitor socket, etc will not work.

Is there a simple driver setting to allow this - searching this forum, there seemed to be a hint that this is/was planned to be supported in 2011 : APP / CAL / OpenCL : The Monitor issue

I am beginning to wonder if this is possible with AMD cards at all under Windows. Does anyone else know whether I am likely to have more success with NVidia?

Thanks for any advice,

Ian Lindsay

Outcomes