7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2017 3:25 PM by scole250

Using a headless GPU under Windows Server 2012 R2

ilindsay

Hi all,

I have asked this on the general forum and currently have a support ticket outstanding for some advice, but I thought it wouldn't do any harm in the mean time to ask here too in case this is something someone here has managed to get working. For reference, my original post is here:

OpenGL/DirectX Support With S9100 GPU on Windows Server 2012 R2

Briefly, we have a Dell PowerEdge R730 with an AMD FirePro S9100 GPU installed that we are intending to use to perform some server side rendering under Windows Server 2012 R2. The card does not seem to get recognised by DirectX/OpenGL, with all rendering performed on the on-board graphics. As the card is headless, hacks involving dummy plugs, resistors poked into the monitor socket, etc will not work.

Is there a simple driver setting to allow this - searching this forum, there seemed to be a hint that this is/was planned to be supported in 2011 : APP / CAL / OpenCL : The Monitor issue

I am beginning to wonder if this is possible with AMD cards at all under Windows. Does anyone else know whether I am likely to have more success with NVidia?

Thanks for any advice,

Ian Lindsay

• Re: Using a headless GPU under Windows Server 2012 R2
          ilindsay

Hi, as I have not had a reply yet, I assume this is a fairly unusual use case.

What would be really useful is some documentation on the server (S7xxx, S9xxx) series cards. Is there somewhere on this site that this is available, or would I have to request it via our support agreement with Dell - I have not been able to find any so far. Specifically, I am looking for details on how to set these cards up under Windows Server operating systems so their resources can be used. The specs on AMD's website for the card we have very clearly states it has support for DirectX, OpenGL and Windows Server 2012 R2  - see AMD FirePro™ S9150 Server GPU

What does the term 'headless' actually mean - there are no monitor ports on the back of the card, so the (I think fairly reasonable) assumption was that the card would be automatically recognised by Windows as a resource it could use for rendering.

As it stands, we currently have a £3000 door stop.

Any help would be much appreciated, even a pointer on where to go to look for information.

Thanks,

Ian Lindsay

scole250

I have a similar issue. I have a S9100 installed in a Win764 system and I can't access any of the adapter settings or monitor the GPU temps. It tells me to try again after connecting a display to the AMD graphics and extending the display. How do I manage this GPU?

scole250

To clarify, I just want to be able to monitor the GPU temps. If there was a way to adjust the clock speeds, that would be a bonus. I was aware other AMD GPUs and drivers required a monitor or dummy plug connected but I thought since this GPU has no physical outputs, the driver would at least enable temp monitoring.

And I realize the server GPUs were meant to be used by virtual desktops. Surely there's a way to utilize them without setting up a citrix server and clients.

annihlator

Hence the unit is headless I'd mainly like to assume that no display is required for the card to function and maybe something else may be going awry.

I'd love to check the following; did you actually install the drivers for the GPU? In the indirect phrasing I'm getting a notion that the drivers may not have been installed yet and the card merely has been inserted (based on the phrase "assumption was that the card would be automatically recognised by Windows as a resource it could use for rendering.")

If you have done this; what does dxdiag actually show you about this GPU, if it displays anything at-all?

Also what software/DirectX/OpenGL version exactly are you trying to execute here?

scole250

Yes, I installed the drivers from the installation .exe listed for a S9100 on Win764. The filename is radeon-pro-software-17.q3-july27.exe

The driver installed, or at least partially installed. Under Device Manager, it lists the AMD FirePro S9100 along with Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (the iGPU). GPU-Z also sees it but no OpenCL drivers got installed, which I need and is a 2nd issue along with temp monitoring. Actually, temp monitoring is a moot point unless I can get the OpenCL drivers installed to run OpenCL apps on the GPU. Whenever I've used an AMD GPU to run OpenCL programs in the past, the OpenCL drivers where installed during the driver installation.

GPUZ_S9100.jpg

It installs the AMD Radeon Pro and AMD FirePro Settings app, again at least partially, but when I try to run it I get his...

no_driver_message.jpg

I've installed, used the cleanup utility to uninstall and re-install many times. I know it's possible there are trash files somewhere. I'd remove them it I knew which ones and where.

I have a copy of Win 8.1 Pro I'm going to install and try it on as a last resort