8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 4:26 AM by loneranger

Athlon 64 X2 QL-62 Specs?

loneranger

What socket does this go into? How many pins does this have?

• Re: Athlon 64 X2 QL-62 Specs?
          arcticwind

Here are the spec's for it from "cpu-world.com"

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%20QL-62%20-%20AMQL62DAM22GG.html

It's a notebook processor with 638 pins and goes into a "S1" (s1g2) socket.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              loneranger

Thanks articwind. I'm looking for a CPU that's faster than the 2.0 GHz. Athlon 64 X2 QL-62 chip that's in my Acer Aspire 4530,that I can put in there as a faster upgrade. Would love 3 GHz or faster but I have to keep in mind there's NO CPU fan in there just a single heat pipe connected to the sink bracket that's clamped/screwed on top of the chip.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,Bill

arcticwind

The only suggestion I have is to check with Acer first to see what they think is compatible with that system.

An update of the BIOS may also be required when updating the processor.

loneranger

The original Bios version was 1.3335. I downloaded and installed the ONLY bios update they ever had which was version 1.3336. I was thinking of the AMD Phenom II Dual-Core N660 3.0GHz 2MB s1 LP CPU HMN660DCR23GM 

The specs looked really good,it's a mobile chip S1 socket 35 watts,45 nm,638 pins, check it out if you get a chance.

One another website one fellow was talking about how Acer claims HIS Acer laptop can only have 4 GB ram MAX

which is what they said for the Aspire 4530. He'd popped in 8 GB and it's working. Since the CPU actually IS the ram controller,I was thinking that a new CPU would help making 8 GB in this old Aspire a possibility. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,Bill

neon

Good news: there are several possible CPU upgrades

Bad news: they aren't much faster

To my knowledge, if your notebook runs the Athlon 64 X2 QL-62 S1g2 CPU, then the motherboard is only compatible with socket S1g2 CPUs. All of the Athlons and Turions for the S1g2 platform are dual core, range 1.9 to 2.5 GHz, with additional differentiation in the amount of L2 cache and speed of HyperTransport bus. You can get a modest performance increase, but you'll have to gauge whether the cost would be worth the upgrade. Keep in mind that the fastest CPU upgrade for each platform is always in high demand, which drives up price in the 2nd-hand markets.

The possible upgrades are:

Athlon 64 X2 QL-64, QL-65, QL-66, QL-67 (2.1 - 2.2 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)

Turion 64 X2 RM-70, RM-72, RM-74, RM-75, RM-76, RM-77 (2.0 - 2.3 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)

Turion X2 Ultra ZM-80, ZM-82, ZM-84, ZM-85, ZM-86, ZM-87, ZM-88 (2.1 - 2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)

loneranger

Thanks neon,finally someone actually responded to my original question. So the AMD Phenom II Dual-Core N660 3.0GHz 2MB s1 LP CPU HMN660DCR23GM  can't work? How DO YOU swap the CPU anyway? On DT MB's there's a lever on the side of the socket, that you lift up to free up the CPU so it can be removed and replaced. I hope you don't have to remove the MB to swap CPU's on this Acer Aspire 4530.

Cheers,Bill

neon

Phenom II Dual-Core N660 HMN660DCR23GM is a socket S1g4 CPU. It will not work in that notebook.

Socket S1 does not have a lever like desktop sockets. Instead, there is a turn-lock that is operated with a screwdriver.

In fact, it is required to disassemble a good portion of the notebook, including removal of the motherboard, to replace the CPU.

This will void your Acer warranty, but that should have expired since the notebook was manufactured in 2008.

Fortunately, there is a service guide available for your model. Have a look and see if you want to tackle such a project:

http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%204530%204230.pdf

loneranger

Thanks Neon,

I was afraid it would require a good deal of disassembly to swap that CPU. (It sure looked like it)

Looks like I'll be staying pat with just memory and Hard drive.

In Windows Mobility Center there was a box for Bluetooth. Which,when you push the Bluetooth button on the laptop, a message comes up "Bluetooth Disabled". I'm wondering HOW was it disabled,and How do you enable it. Shortly after that I noticed the Bluetooth box in the Windows Mobility Center was gone. Looks to me like this Windows Mobility Center is a bit Buggy? Cheers,Bill