1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2016 10:41 AM by kingfish

How do I determine EXACTLY what graphics driver I need?

boweasel

My mother has (actually ;had') a Windows 8 tower that died shortly after she upgraded to W10. I put her HDD in a new chassis and managed to get it activated. She's running a 64 bit Home Premium. She then began having problems with her graphics driver, getting Display driver stopped responding and has recovered messages.. She is not any sort of hard core gamer - she plays various games from Facebook - but the error messages she gets do not occur only when she's playing any of those games. They seem to happen at random.

I also noticed other problems - I could not do a W10 repair, I could not install updates, and a couple more, so I saved her data and did a complete, clean reinstall of Windows 10. After the reinstall a message displayed on the desktop for at least 5 minutes indicating that Windows was searching for a suitable graphics driver, eventually installing an AMD Radeon 7540D driver.

The reinstall solved all of the problems except the display problems. I've gone into device manager, event viewer and the AMD Catalyst CC to do some auto detection diagnostics. I'm including some of the images I've gotten.

I've uninstalled the driver and rebooted, letting Windows reinstall the driver. I've uninstalled again and gone to the following AMD page: Download Drivers , downloading the Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, R5 300, R5 240, HD 8500 - HD 8900, and HD 7700 – HD 7900 Series.

Nothing has made a difference. I have no idea what to do now. I've given the tower back to my mother. She's about ready to throw the whole thing in the trash and buy a refurbished Windows 7 tower. It sure seems like something could be done to keep this computer out of the local recycling center.

AMD card4.JPG

Event mgr 1.JPG

Device driver.JPGAMD card.JPG

AMD card3.JPG

• Re: How do I determine EXACTLY what graphics driver I need?
          kingfish

These are the correct drivers for the computer > Legacy

Here's how to install them >

How to install graphics drivers

Remove old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel****

FOR COMPUTERS WITH AMD PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and selectively uninstall the graphics drivers and CCC only. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Note: Disable all anti-virus/ anti-malware/ anti-anything while performing the installation. Very important.

This is a proven installation method that will work 99% of the time for everybody. However, there is the 1% who will need to use the 'Clean' install method. Use this if you run into issues.

1 of 1 people found this helpful