17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 7:40 PM by eidairaman1

amd 16.11.3 driver review

ququhang

Amd is heading the right direction ever since 16.11 onwards props to that(: Still .... having screen flashes every once in a while.

• Re: amd 16.11.3 driver review
          eidairaman1

they still yet to have fixed the file for the AMD External Events Utility under Windows 7 that causes slow boot with Please Wait message, it's been broken since 16.6.1, Driver 16.4.2 didn't have a issue with the EEU. the file is atiesrxx.exe

ququhang

Update: Occasional blue screen once in a while too

redfury

I think moderators should unblock comments in "release notes" posts as used to be. It was informative and convenient.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                jakslap

The only difference with with so called "Driver Updates" is that they support newer games. No optimisation or performance increases for any games, issues such as flashing, flickering and black screen are still not resolved yet. Unacceptable!

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                    pinheads

My thoughts exactly. These so-called Driver updates may support the newer games that come out but the amount of bugs that still need addressing always seem to be there. What's more frustrating, is that there isn't a dedicated small number of qualified AMD people who join us on these forums. It's like we're always on our own.

When I purchased my AMD GPU, I didn't expect to be an ongoing BETA tester for their product with regards to Drivers. I have sent them questions on Twitter in the past and got no response. Well done AMD, nice way to go.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                        jakslap

Yeah i agree totally, i really want them to push performance increases with there driver updates. I have been asking and creating threads 3 months ago about creating optimised battlefield 1 drivers but have been ignored entirely. Also alot of older games tend to run worse on these new drivers, i installed Max Payne 3 and been getting terrible FPS Dips. I remember when i had a Nvidia card it was great when new Drivers came out, the release notes were so nice to read,

for example

7% fps increase in Battlefield 3

9% fps increase in mass effect 2

etc etc.

But with AMD the "Known issues are pages long" and the fixes are one line, support for

• Dishonored™2

and thats it

eidairaman1

I hadn't encountered such a major issue with drivers until 16.6.1, ever since I would always go back to 16.4.2 due to the "Please Wait" Slow Boot Message in Win 7 as stated above. I have a temporary fix to fix the slow boot issue but it causes the monitor to not resume from a power down state Properly (monitor set to turn off after 5 min etc). It would go to lit black screen and all I could do then is hit ctrl alt delete to get back in. I have been reporting this please wait issue since I found out about driver reporting since September, but no one has an answer to this issue. There is no excuse for such a major screw up.

I'm starting to wonder if the driver team let alone anyone at AMD truly cares about this issue. I see on Facebook through the AMD Gaming page all the time they are doing this and that but it's certainly not reflecting in the drivers, it's so funny that I get a response anytime I report this issue on the facebook AMD Gaming page that they always refer me to the forums here, yet no one answers my question or gives us an update on the fixes, the release notes don't state what has majorly been fixed on the driver releases either. I had a Hercules GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64MB back then and moved to an ATI All In Wonder 9700 Pro and have been using ATi/AMD since, I'm starting to truly wonder If I should just go to NVIDIA now.

ququhang

Dont worry boys... Its all an endless cycle. Updates after updates fixing after fixing but still there won't be a perfect driver it will always have bluescreen always have issues.. Newer updates only comply to newer games thats about it. People thought its the gpu buts its actually the drivers, people won't ugprade they won't make money.  If not there will be only ONE driver to rule them all. Nope its not happening. Live with it boys:D

pinheads

With regards to release notes with each new successive Driver is a section called 'Known Issues', but that list can be the same for like the past few Driver releases. Whaaaat!! How can that happen? If AMD are aware of these 'Known Issues' then why aren't they getting fixed with each new update?

Furthermore, AMD has it's own Crimson/Driver Uninstall utility in 'Programs and Features" yet a third party program such as DDU is also required to make a proper job of it. Even then, you still have to go into C/AMD folder to manually delete everything from there.

We are almost in the year 2017 and even though hardware has improved greatly, it's all let down badly by software whether it be Microsoft Windows 10 or GPU Drivers or a combination of both.

eidairaman1

Its the oddest thing, Never had BSODs

redfury

It was a golden time, when on the market was ATI, NVidia, 3DFX, Matrox, S3...

It was a Competition and Development. But now both AMD and NVidia resting on their laurels and simply shared the market in a certain proportion.

The cost of cards has exceeded all reasonable limits, but each new trash such as Mafia3 wants more and more.