5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 10:20 AM by gremma

R9 Fury constantly blackscreens/crashes in Windows 10

amduser184

I am somewhat at a loss at this stage due to the constant crashing of my PC over the last few months, which has been so frequent, that I am unable to use my PC as my daily driver and have to resort to using an older computer to have a stable system.

I have isolated the issues my side to be driver or software related and not hardware as I don't get these crashes when running Ubuntu off a separate harddrive (ironically with the vastly inferior Linux drivers). I didn't get crashes previously and currently with the Crimson drivers in Windows 10 it is "crash-city" almost every day.

My system specs are as follows:

System type: Desktop

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Graphics card: Sapphire Tri-X R9 Fury 4G HBM

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K

Motherboard: GA-X99-Gaming 5P

PSU: Corsair AX860

Memory: 32 GB

Display: 34inch (3440x1440) @ 60Hz Displayport

When and how does it crash?

The crashes result in the screen going black and the system rebooting immediately and this has mostly occurred when browsing the web in either Chrome or Firefox with no other custom programs running - Literally just a web browser running. I have also noticed a couple crash/reboot cycles after leaving my PC unattended for a short while and coming back to a system that had rebooted.

There are no major patterns I have noticed when it crashes. It has occurred shortly after a previous reboot, it has crashed after a number of hours have passed, it has crashed after numerous start-sleep cycles over a couple days, it has crashed while viewing a plain text/html page and has crashed after using a program/application.

What solutions have I attempted?

1. I have restored Windows 10 to the Pre-Anniversary Update, along with the Anniversary Update - Still crashed
      2. I have both changed and removed all previously installed anti-virus software - Still crashed
      3. I have uninstalled drivers using the AMDCleanupUtility and DDU and reinstalled drivers - Still crashed
      4. I have checked system temperature, ventilation and updated BIOS and other system drivers - Still crashed
      5. I have tried different monitors and ports on the graphics card - Still crashed
      6. I have not installed the Raptr/Gaming Evolved app at any stage and I have deselected non-essentials (e.g. HDMI audio) from the install wizard - Still crashed
      7. I have tried to isolate it to a browser issue, with both Firefox and Chrome showing no difference when run independently - Still crashed
      8. I have tried to isolate it to a flash issue, disabled flash in Firefox, left Chrome as is (built-in flash), no difference - Still crashed
      9. I have tried a range of drivers thus far which have all crashed: 16.11.3, 16.10.2, 16.9.2, 16.7.3, 15.7.1 ... to name a few - Still crashed
      10. I have tried a different operating system (Ubuntu) with different drivers (default kernel drivers and AMDGPU-Pro 16.4) - No crash

What conclusions can be reached?

• Judging by the number of posts on this forum about "crashes/black screens" and the range of graphics cards affected, it is almost a certainty that it is a software - more specifically driver - related issue and not hardware
      • Crashing has not been noticed on a different OS, using different drivers - so the fault lies with either Windows 10 or the Crimson drivers
      • These issues seemed to have become more prominent/frequent with the release of the Crimson set of drivers running on Windows 10
      • AMD is either not aware of the widespread nature of the problem or is unable/unwilling to fix the issue as this isn't a recent problem. There are posts/reports going back months now on here and other sites.
      • AMD is releasing drivers more frequently than in past years, however the focus seems to be on providing support for new released games and not bug/stability fixes

As someone who has been buying ATI based graphics cards or systems containing them for the last 12 years, this is the first time I am regretting my purchase decision. I spent a fair bit of money a few months ago on what was then one of the top-of-the-line graphics cards, looking to be somewhat future proof, and instead I have system which has crashed more frequently in the last fortnight than all my others during their lifetime.

I will be keeping track of all the driver versions I have tried that crashed and will update this thread when I can, however judging by the fact the most recent driver (16.11.3) at the time of this posting is still crashing, I am not hopeful. I don't want to have to consider an alternative provider, however I don't know how long I can keep waiting for a fix.

Update Nov 21, 2016

Unfortunately I've not had much success since my original post.

Some more observations/solutions attempted since then:

• I installed 16.11.2 and had an uptime of around 2.5 days without "black-screening", before I uninstalled those drivers and updated to the newest drivers 16.11.4 which crashed a very short time later (~ 1-2 hours) while in Civilization 6
      • I have done a bit of research into the Corsair AX/AXi PSU and there have been a few comments, specifically related to the AXi series and random reboots. My current PSU is an older model and not the "digital series", however I did toggle the fan setting from "hybrid" to "normal" to see if that would help and unfortunately I still got a black-screen-to-reboot cycle shortly after installing 16.11.4
      • I have attempted to adjust the power and display cables (Displayport) for a snugger fit without success so far. I'll give HDMI a go the next time I get a crash, although my versions supports only 50Hz which is why I am using DP.
      • At the moment the biggest change I've made is to swap out my new GPU (R9 Fury) with my previous GPU (HD 7970) which has served me well for the last few years. Currently my system hasn't had a single black-screen/crash/unexpected reboot since I switched the GPU. I'm using the current drivers: 16.11.4 and the system currently has an uptime of ~4 days. Since then I've run Civilization 6 for hours and hours without issue, currently I've got Prime95 running in the background while surfing the web (last few hours). At this stage I want to see if it does indeed crash again or not, which should hopefully isolate the issue to my Fury card and/or the drivers associated with the R9 series.
        • Re: R9 Fury constantly crashes in Windows 10
          qwixt

"The crashes result in the screen going black and the system rebooting immediately"

This really makes it sound like a hardware issue. Why? Because the reboot says that it was not handled by the OS, and that the hardware is triggering it. My first guess is power. That could be power supply, or some power issue on the card. A different OS can pull power usage differently. Also, you should monitor heat of course, but I really do not think heat would be an issue for browser.

1. I would try switching power connectors on the power supply to the alternate GPU connectors and cables.

2. Make sure power efficiency is turned off, to see if that makes a difference.

2. If that doesn't work, then I would try ClockBlocker, add the browser to run at full power, and see if that helps.

3. If that doesn't work, I would get a new PSU from a local place that I could return it to if it makes not difference.

I have the same GPU, OS, and CPU as you by the way. Good luck.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              pinheads

OMG!!! Finally, somebody else who makes me feel I'm not alone with this exact same problem.

I have an R9-390 GPU and I started getting these random reboots. It all stated when playing a game. My screen went black and instantly shut down and rebooted itself. Then I noticed that it wasn't just the odd game that caused reboots but simple browsing using Edge browser in Windows 10.

Whenever I open the Edge browser then my PC will simply shut down and reboot itself. If I click on any of the arrows on the Edge browser page, say to go back to a previous page, then again, instant shut down and reboot. Sometimes I'll get lucky and actually get to click more than a few times during my browsing session but it doesn't last long. Click something else on the web page then, again, PC will shutdown and reboot.

Now then, here's something else. It's not just games or web surfing using Edge, but sometimes when I click on the Start button in the menu then, whaaaaat!!! shutdown and instant reboot!! Sometimes, my PC will just shut down and reboot even when I'm not doing anything and the PC is idle at the main desktop.

I have completed Memtest for fifteen hours straight with 7 passes overnight which were successful, i.e. no RAM errors.

I have been monitoring my temps and am confident it's not a heat issue. My PSU is a beefy 1500W.

I have taken the R9-390 GPU out of my case for the moment and am now using this PC via the motherboards intergrated graphics and guess what? No reboots. Edge works fine when browsing. Clicking on and opening various apps is not causing any reboots and clicking the Start button is not causing any reboots. I even managed to play one of my less graphically demanding games without a shutdown and instant reboot.

Please, I don't want to hear about sorting out the Power Management settings because they're all disabled. Two of us now describing the same symptoms. Both of us can't have faulty GPUs or PSUs.

Windows 10 64Bit (Home)

R9-390 GPU

16Gb RAM

1500W PSUI.

amduser184

Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently exploring the possibility it may be hardware related and will let you guys know how I go.

Regarding troubleshooting, am I correct in assuming that if it is indeed a power issue - either PSU or GPU - that it should be repeatable (both load and time/period to failure) by running something that stresses the GPU load such as a 3D game/benchmark and/or stress test such as with Prime95?

I am also wondering if it may be a fan issue now, as I've noticed the card shows 19% speed constantly under the "Global OverDrive" settings and that to could in theory cause the hardware to shutdown to protect itself, correct?

• Re: R9 Fury constantly blackscreens/crashes in Windows 10
                winterspell

Reading & reading with no solution. So i joined the community so my works may one day help solve this

Saved 6 months to get the RX 480 cuz i had a Samsung with FreeSync, amd was the only option. Now i regret it all. the GTX 1070 would have been the perfect choice. To late now....

I have an old computer

Asrock motherboard AM3 socket with Phenom X4 3,2 cpu & 8 Gb Ram Corsair DDR3.

Right now i also thing this to be a PURE software/ firmware related matter. I got a Corsair CX 600, and most people say the 12volts rail at these psu's are kinda bad. I don't think blaming it on the psu is the way to go,and i don't have any high-end psu either so i guess that's out.

I also got a SSD (for the very first time) X-Fury Savage 240GB. Sure i installed Windows 10,all updates etc the problems started. Freeze while watching movies , blue screens in desktop random stuff, but 100% sure when playing Witcher 3 (the only video game i got ). If i idle more than 5 minutes, the monitor will turn off than it would be impossible to turn it back on. Unplug is the only solution.

Try to fix it by never letting the monitor to shut down. Did not work. If i left the game even without escaping to Menu, so random npc's would do stuff around me.... there for the game was still active after 10 minutes or so, image freezes, entire computer freeze ,had to unplug.

Installed Win 8.1 same problems. My last resort was using my old hdd for WIndows and keeping the SSDfor storage. This helped. I never EVER got a crash/freeze while doing stuff.

However, even if i run the game from SSD or from HDD, the freeze is still there.

Solution for me :

- keep Windows on HDD

- never idle in game. Turn off game if walking away from computer.

Very very disappointing. Reason i got a SSD is to hold my OS and programs on it. Can't do this now.

I never tried to install an older driver. Right now i am using the latest 16.11.4

I am trying to save money for a new motherboard 1151 socket with an i7. No luck. 

I am thinking a high-end motherboard (gaming edition) will have more stability dealing with electricity fluctuation.

Would be amazing if people with very high-end computers would comment on this. People with expensive motherboards and psu's to see if they have the same problem.  But then again, people with high-end computers don't go with amd, do they ? A GTX 1080 + i7 + GSync monitor 144HZ and your golden, right ?

Looking for a download link for the famous driver 11.7.3 but without WHQL (as somebody suggested ) ...impossible to find. the only official driver i found on Guru3d is WITH whql in it.

I would gladly reinstall Window 8.1 on SSD and that driver to see the difference.

Can somebody provide ?

• Re: R9 Fury constantly blackscreens/crashes in Windows 10
                  gremma

Can I ask all posters  in this thread if they are using windows 10 ?.      I have been having problems for a few weeks, My pc keeps rebooting while playing games or loading games and sometimes browsing the internet (internet explorer). I visited this forum to find an answer to my problem having checked my hardware/ drivers and thinking my R9 280X may be at fault, I am now thinking the problem could be Windows 10.