3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 12:43 AM by draconavitch

WINDOWS 10 Generic pnp Monitor Driver failure & AMD Radeon 8400

joankl

This may be linked to some other thread somewhere on this site.  But I'm on Day 12 of this problem and desperate for an answer.  I have an HP Pavilion Touchscreen laptop 14-f040ca, with AMD HD Radeon 8400 graphics.  Everything was fine after I upgraded to Windows 10 in May 2016 (previously ran from Sep 2013 on Windows 8, 8.1).  On October 30, 2016, a Windows 10 update ran and my screen went black.  Was able to do hard reset, reboot BUT then freezes after slow reboot and desktop icons appear.  Safe mode shows problem is GENERIC pnp MONITOR DRIVER FAILURE.  HP technical support (yes I'm paying for their help) doesn't seem to know what to do, they installed the Crimson 'fix' that they saw on AMD site.  That didn't work.  They reset my computer to point BEFORE the event on October 30, i.e. just before the Windows update and computer worked FINE for several hours until WINDOWS 10 did another update.  And now I'm back to same problem.

Assume there is some link with AMD Radeon and Windows 10, based on what I've read online.  WHAT SHOULD I, the customer, advise HP TO DO....i.e. an updated AMD driver potentially to install that I can tell them about.  I'm on my 4th day with them, technical support, and seems like any advice I can give THEM might help to get this problem resolved.

Joan (retired, not used to using such forums, but hope someone can help....I'm desperate for an answer).

• Re: WINDOWS 10 Generic pnp Monitor Driver failure & AMD Radeon 8400
          erickvillalobos

Hello, I had the same problems with my laptop, An HP n007 la with AMD 5200 with integrated Radeon 8400 after updating to windows 10 a couple weeks ago it was terribly slow, right after booting, my desktop was all black and if any notification popped up it froze; what worked for me was uninstalling my Radeon 8400 drivers and using the microsoft generic drivers, apparently is a compatibility error between the driver and the OS, but now i'm unable to play any game.

To uninstall the driver go to file explorer> This PC> right click > manage (or something like that) with the admin shield logo >Device manager> select the screen or graphics adaptor> Right click  the Radeon driver> uninstall.

that might work

if you find another way without uninstalling the driver i would appreciate if you told me

joankl

Hi Erik,

A lot has happened at my end since the post.  I also contacted AMD tech and he advised to use cleaninstall utility on the AMD site to uninstall the existing driver (I thought you would just right click on the driver and uninstall).  THEN download the latest driver for the 8400 which is NOT the Crimson Fix series, but the Catalyst 15.7.1 suite (AMD does NOT provide any updates for the 8400 past this driver edition from 2015).  However, tech also said that he wasn't sure though if a new Windows update would mean laptop freeze again, driver problems again.  I subscribed to the HP maintenance program before I did my research.  And in fact HP had downloaded the Crimson Fix which didn't work.... SO....told HP to try this Catalyst download to see if this worked.  They decided on Day 5 of trying to help, not knowing the answer, to restore Factory setting of Windows 8, then upgrade to 8.1.  No more 10.  After 175 Windows 8 updates, 44 updates to Windows 8.1, with me after copying back all my files, reinstalling programs and apps, everything now works FINE....this is not the solution I had expected, and if I had known that a Factory reset was where I was heading, I could have done myself/not paid HP who I thought would have had the driver answer.  BUT even though I'm a bit poorer paying HP, reality is I have a fully functional machine again.  I don't play video games though, so this may be problematic for you with respect to a driver for your games.  Based on my experience and a post response I had on the Microsoft Community forum I believe you may be stuck going back to 8.1.  I SHOULD ADD>>>HP told me that I should NEVER have updated to Windows 10 to begin with.  They haven't done any development on my laptop drivers to support Windows 10.  They said this info was somewhere on their website (?) and on the terms and conditions when I was starting the 10 upgrade process (??).  For your specific case, maybe you could also phone Tech Support at AMD??  Joan

draconavitch

joankl wrote:

......THEN I downloaded the latest driver for the 8400 which is NOT the Crimson Fix series, but the Catalyst 15.7.1 suite (AMD does NOT provide any updates for the 8400 past this driver edition from 2015).

Hi Everyone, oops, a little Quote Editing for Joankl, But, I had to make a Point on what she was saying.... And that is that the Latest Driver for the AMD Graphics cards (( CATALYST 15.7.1 Suite )) I have found a FREE Catalyst 15.7.1 suite Driver Download and Installer, Downloads in .Zip format, then you Unzip it using WinRar or another Zip program, then you Install it like a Regular Windows Program or App. The Graphics Driver/Program is for Windows 7.1, 8.1, and Win 10. So if you still need the Latest AMD Graphics Driver, Click on the Link below and select your Win: OS, and get Your FIX.    http://www.sapphiretech.com/product_downloadmore.asp?PID=1101&CataID=16&lang=eng So there it is, I'm not going to type much more, Just thought I would add a little helping hand in where I saw a Need that hadn't been met yet. Oh, and to let everyone know too, I had been working Frustratedly on this same problem for 4 hours when I came across this Blog. So Yes, Thanks JOANKl for Tipping the Scale in my Favour about the Name of Catalyst 15.7.1 I had never heard of it before, so, Thank you again.