8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 3:47 AM by savagebeastzero

LG 34UC98-W freesync issues

i_am_spock

Hey all,

Just bought my first wide screen monitor - LG 34UC98 and also purchased a new 1.2 display port cable that connects to my GPU

Graphics Chipset

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Problem I am facing is when I enable Freesync on the monitor and also on ATI CCC i start seeing flashing black lines across all apps, games and it seems to go away if I turn off freesync.

I want to use freesync as this the main purpose of purchasing this monitor.

My drivers are

Radeon Software Version - 16.11.2

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Memory Size - 3072 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1100 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz [0x7FFD51FB70E3] ANOMALY: use of REX.w is meaningless (default operand size is 64)

Is there anything you can suggest to enable freesync without the black lines/flashes appearing when I use any app?

Thanks

• Re: LG 34UC98-W freesync issues
          savagebeastzero

Hey i_am_spock,

This behavior has been noted with multiple LG Freesync monitors during my independent testing and each time this issue was encountered it was due to (improper/corrupt) driver installations. So, in the case that something went wrong during your video driver installation, please perform everything in the following order one last time, so we can eliminate this being the root of problem. Then if the problem persists, we can move on from there, fully knowing that this wasn't the cause. So, once more, please perform everything listed below and once finished, reply with the results.

On another note, worry not about your monitor, as a solution will likely be in your future, as the LG Freesync monitors are some of the best out there on the market. Their quality control is remarkable, so I doubt it's an issue in need of an RMA and nothing more than a bump in the road towards your elimination of screen tearing. Great choice of monitor by the way. So, get those results my way and we'll see if we can take care of this issue by end of day. Have a good one, I'm looking forward to your response.

• Download the Radeon Crimson 16.11.2 Driver Package
          • Don't install them quite yet (Will direct in a later step).
          • Download Display Driver Uninstaller
          • Don't run it quite yet (Will direct in a later step).
          • Open your Control Panel
          • Open Programs and features
          • Uninstall AMD Install Manager
          • When asked if you'd like to reboot now, select "Later"
          • Open Display Driver Uninstaller
          • Select "Reboot in Safe Mode (Recommended)"
          • Once you've rebooted into Safe Mode, select the recommended option of "Clean and Restart"
          • Once you have booted into Windows, Install Radeon Crimson 16.11.2
          • Once installed, restart your computer
          • Once booted into Windows, Right click the desktop
          • Select "AMD Radeon Settings"
          • Select the display tab
          • Enable AMD Freesync
          • Restart your computer
          • Download the FreeSync™ Technology Demo
          • Now on your LG Monitor, use the menu joystick and go to "Menu"
          • Once there, select "General"
          • Ensure Freesync is enabled via the general menu option
          • Reboot your computer
          • Once you have booted into Windows, Open the Freesync Technology Demo
          • In the Freesync Technology Demo software ensure you have "Freesync/ON", "Vsync/Off" and "FPS Sweep"
          • Now monitor the Freesync Technology Demo for roughly 5-10 minutes, ensuring no screen tearing is present, nor any artifacts such as you described are being encountered.
          • Reply here with the results.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              i_am_spock

Firstly many thanks for the quick response savagebeastzero

I did my homework when looking for my next gaming/entertainment system and this monitor took it all on the reviews. Pricey but well worth it.

Now for the not so good news.

I followed your steps to the letter and when I reinstalled the Crimson drivers, I could not enable freesync from the AMD application

See below

No matter what I tried, AMD Freesync just wouldn't enable

Even on the demo application it wouldn't let me switch on

I can confirm the Freesync is enabled on the monitor via the menu system but AMD just won't realise this.

There is one possibility that may be helpful. I purchased the mini display to display port 1.2 cable from Amazon and realised it only supports up to 1920x1080p and nothing more (link here)

So ordered another same cable from another manufacture but supports 3840 x 2160) (link here)

Hopefully the cable arrives tomorrow and I'll restart the whole process to see what end result I achieve this time around and post on this thread.

As always, appreciate the support.

Live long and Prosper.

savagebeastzero

Hey i_am_spock,

Just to be sure..I noticed something that caught my eye when reading your specifications that I need to clarify. When reading your specifications I noticed that you listed your graphics processing unit as a "R9 200 Series", but weren't specific as to the exact model. I then noticed that your video memory was displayed as 3072 MB, leading me to believe this might be an R9 280 or similar class GPU. Is this perhaps a R9 product that doesn't fully support Freesync and the application of the technology is reserved solely for video playback and power saving as mentioned below? I'm sure that's not the case, but wanted to throw this out there in the case that your GPU was in fact not fully compatible, so as to not waste your time, leading to your further frustration in locating a solution.

Which AMD Radeon™ GPUs are compatible with AMD FreeSync™ technology

All AMD Radeon™ graphics cards in the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000, HD 8000, R7 or R9 Series will support AMD FreeSync™ technology for video playback and power-saving purposes***. The AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R9 285, R7 260X and R7 260 GPUs or newer, additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming***.

Here's the extended/current list of fully supported graphics cards below.

Graphics Cards

• AMD Radeon RX 480
                  • AMD Radeon R7 260

i_am_spock

My bad.

I have a ATI R9 290x model graphics card. I'll get more specifics when I get home tonight.

i_am_spock

Could it be I have the wrong drivers/model?

Well that's me screwed Looks like I've been misold a gpu card many years ago Box the card came in had R9 290x so not sure if the 7970 is this model??

savagebeastzero

Hey i_am_spock,

Yes, sadly it appears that the model you possess is in fact not fully compatible with Freesync and not an R9 290X. The R9 290X has either 4096MB or the lightning model has 8192MB of Vram, no less. As you can see via CPU-Z, the card you possess has 3072MB of Vram and is listed as an HD7970 which is in fact only compatible with Freesync video or power saving features.

Overall though, this isn't a total loss if you're still attempting to utilize the full capabilities of your Freesync monitor, as the HD7970 fetches roughly $140 when sold on Ebay, since it's still a very capable video card overall. So, I highly recommend that you sell your HD7970 now, before its value depreciates any further and purchase a newer card that's fully compatible with Freesync such as any of the cards listed below.

I've listed them based on their raw performance power to make selecting a fully Freesync compatible graphics card that suits your needs easier. Many of the graphics cards can be found for a steal on Ebay at the moment, so you shouldn't have to spend much for the upgrade. I hope this helps and have a nice day. Good luck with everything buddy!

• AMD Radeon Pro Duo 8GB x2
                            • AMD Radeon R9 295X2 4GB x2
                            • AMD Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB HBM
                            • AMD Radeon R9 Fury 4GB HBM
                            • AMD Radeon R9 Nano 4GB HBM
                            • AMD Radeon R9 390 X 8GB
                            • AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB
                            • AMD Radeon R9 290 X Lightning 8GB
                            • AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB
                            • AMD Radeon R9 290 X 4GB
                            • AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
                                i_am_spock

Thanks again for the quick support.

Mr Amazon is delivering a new Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB GDDR5 Memory Polaris FinFET DX 12 Vulkan FreeSync PCI-Express Graphics Card today as an early Xmas present for moi

Hopefully the Freesync issue is case resolved

Thank again.

savagebeastzero

Hey i_am_spock,

That's great to hear and it's a fantastic graphics processing unit that you've decided on. The RX 480 will most definitely solve your FreeSync issue without a doubt and you'll finally get to see the amazing benefits of FreeSync! Aside from solving screen tearing, it nearly eliminates any input lag as well and it's quite noticeable within the first few minutes when everything suddenly just feels snappier, especially coupled with the low latency response times the LG 34UC98 will provide.

Anyways, I was glad to assist you. I hope you have a fantastic day and enjoy your new RX 480!

AMD Assistance.png