4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 5:26 AM by tag75

Fan Speed Issue with R9 290X

mfdietz

I installed this card about 11 months ago and it's worked fine until very recently.

While playing various games (xcom 2, heroes of the storm, fallout 4) the fans would very audibly speed up on occasion.   This seemed odd given it didn't really happen during the first 9 months or so the card was installed.

After cracking the case and observing the issue directly, I was shocked to discover the two fans DO NOT SPIN unless the GPU temperature climbs above 70C.   Once it reaches this threshold the fans will spin up to what I would guess is 100% and stay that way until the temperature drops back down.   It'll do this over and over while playing a given game.

I installed the latest drivers from AMD today, 07NOV16, but this had no effect.  I opened Radeon settings and went to global overdrive and was able to get both fans to come on if I set the speed to 85% or above.  If I drop it to 80% or below, the fans stop completely.

I've used caned air to try and blow dust out of the card but this had no effect.

Is this a problem with the card?  XFX is the manufacturer.

Thanks

Michael F. Dietz

• Re: Fan Speed Issue with R9 290X
          tag75

hi mate I have the same problem with me sapphire nitro fury so I had to download MSI and set custom fan , don't know if that helps you .

mfdietz

I've installed afterburner and the behavior is the same.   I can make the fans spin up if I set them manually to 85% or above.   If I drop the slider to 80% or below they turn completely off.

Ideas?

pinheads

That is strange indeed. I have an R9-390 and in Global Overdrive I have my fan setting permanently to 30% for basic browsing, YouTube e.t.c. For gaming, I set the individual profiles to fan settings of 50% so that as soon as I start a game, the fans will spin up and stay there until I finish then they spool back down to the 30% set in Global. This is because I don't trust the GPU to spin the two fans when it thinks it's getting too hot.

I know this doesn't help you in the slightest but I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me, Crimson fan settings are working and the GPU responds accordingly. Maybe your GPU is showing signs of a fault.

On Global, did you click 'Reset'? Maybe that will help.

tag75

have you tried a custom fan control that's what I have to do.