21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 10:45 AM by duggyhow

Random black screens on my RX460

eti_

Hello,

I just received this GPU yesterday and it seems like it glitches all the time.

I have the latest drivers and I'm using this adapter to display the output on my screen (only has a VGA input).

See the video for what I'm experiencing.

It's really annoying and I can't do anything about it.

Would changing the adapter work ? I could try getting a DVI one instead of the HDMI.

Have a great day anyway !

• Re: Random black screens on my RX460
          bearaids

Join the club.

Been a problem since July and AMD refuses to acknowledge it.

bearaids

Only working fix i've found myself that works...ish. is going back to 16.7.2

Sorry i should've provided you this in my first response.

guily6669

You should seriously buy a new 1080P LED Screen, VGA, your loosing everything on that thing.

And depending on your CPU, by changing screen you can even probably get better performance, because the lower the resolution you use the more struggle it puts on the CPU and less on the GPU (we use very low resolutions specially to test CPU performance).

About the black screens, it seems lot of ppl are having it.

I dont get that black screens on my RX480, but get a ton of other problems, specially freezes and crashes on almost every game . With the latest driver even BF1 made a new crash that I never seen before only after 2 rounds. Went into AMD settings and bang AMD drivers completely crash.

ps: Upgrading from my GTX570 to AMD RX480 for now it has only been a step back. Never had any major problem for 6 years with my GTX 570 even at massive OC.

cowtown62

have you tried it on a normal monitor like a tv with HDMI or something and see if it does the same thing. you gotta try without the adapter to know if its not that.

eti_

I hooked it up to my TV for about 2 hours but I didn't think it would've been relevant, I played CS:GO & BF4 and had no issues.

I'm starting to think that the screen, the adaptator and the messy drivers don't help.

guily6669

Its probably the device alone...

On a gaming console for example you CANT use that device, because you can't convert from HDMI with HDCP protection to VGA.

Theres a device to make a proper conversion from HDMI to VGA which is the HD fury which is a expensive device because it has to bypass HDMI security and finally convert it to VGA.

I dont think those cheap converters will do that and will continue to have problems or only work properly at a very low resolution.

ps: On Nvidia panel there was a option to deactivate HDCP, if there is one on AMD driver software, maybe you can try disabling it to see if it works with that converter you have. BUT SERIOUSLY YOU NEED TO UPGRADE THAT MONITOR, THERE'S NO POINT IN HAVING A MODERN GAMING GPU WITH A VGA MONITOR...

eti_

> Its probably the device alone...

Not the device as seen here. I'm clearly not the one having issues, even AMD says that we might experience black screens.

> I dont think those cheap converters will do that and will continue to have problems or only work properly at a very low resolution.

My resolution is low (1366x768) so I'm cool with that.

> BUT SERIOUSLY YOU NEED TO UPGRADE THAT MONITOR, THERE'S NO POINT IN HAVING A MODERN GAMING GPU WITH A VGA MONITOR...

I'm still a teenager you know, I don't get money and my parents don't want to spend another amount because the component I ordered isn't working well with my config.

I can't have a monitor whenever I want just because the GPU doesn't like the current one.

Anyway, no reason to go all caps on that man.

guily6669

Yeah, lot of people are having black flashes with those AMD cards... But you said when you connected to the TV for 2 hours it worked fine, right?

Having a HDMI to VGA converter is not usually great and might cause more problems.

You have to convince your parents to buy a cheap modern LED LCD with 1080P trough HDMI, or do some work... I used to work 1 month of my school holidays to buy things for me back then .

But sadly buying a new LCD, doesnt mean you will get rid of the black flashes since like I said sadly lot of people have the same problem even using a HDMI screen, but at least you will get a lot better gaming quality on any device you connect to the monitor.

ps: My RX480 doesnt do that. It did a similar problem when I had old version of Asus GPU TWEAK II installed which was bugged and causing problems, but its now fixed. Also make sure you have the latest bios on your GPU from your GPU manufacturer.

eti_

Thanks for your answer, unless AMD doesn't fix it in about a month I'll probably try buying a new monitor.

But as you said it's not going to work at a 100% chance of it working as expected.

If you know how to check the latest BIOS for the GPU I'll gladly like to know.

Nothing on Sapphire's website is displayed concerning that.

stace01

HEY. I found my solution to my black screens!!!! Now because i have a older mother board(5 yrsold), and mother boards back then only give out about 50, it wasnt enough to run the card.Now a reminder, i had a card that did not require a external power cord....On that note, when testing the voltages on the card and then the motherboard, the card would not get enough juice to charge, to keep the charge and there for unable to display. Solution!! I either had to build a new computer for the card or find a GC that had a external power required. I found one where i bought the Asus RX460 2GB and they replaced it with a Styx or whatever they are called, RX460 with 4GB, External power cord required to run the card. Plugged it in, and Tada! no more black screens. I'm not saying this is a solution to all of the black screens out there but maybe it can help others. Another thing, the card weighs so much that i had to find some nonconductive to support the card so i wouldnt have to put the tower on its side. So make sure the card isnt weighing down cause they can cause stress to the card and the mother board. I hope this helps narrow the black screens down. Cheers!!

guily6669

Dont really know if thats really the problem...

Because ppl report the same on all RX cards.

I also have a 6 years old Motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 and I had a RX480 Powercolor reference RX480 and never had black screens (the card already comes with external power).

I have now the Asus Strix RX480 which is probably the most extreme custom PCB and uses everything from the external power to the GPU and the only thing drawn from the PCI I think is only for the ram and probably stay under 50 W from the motherboard.

But I have is a ton of other problems, freezing, some strange textures in a lot of games, crashes and games that don't even open.

Assetto Corsa for example I can't play on AMD, when I put start game it just goes back to desktop .

I sent mine to RMA because lately I couldnt play BF1 anymore, it gave Red Screen of death.

I have my Nvidia GTX570 back in the PC and can play again all games with not a single crash.

From tests with a GTX980 that I saw, PCI-E 3.0 on that card only gave like 1 or 2 FPS more and even more strange is that the GPU running at PCI-E 3.0 8x even won 1 fps more on some games that PCI-E 3.0 16x.

ps: Maybe it could be problems with EFI drivers that the motherboard needs to be updated, but sadly the manufacturer doesnt update anymore, you can try changing the boot mode priority to BIOS Legacy (My system just hangs and doesnt start on EFI mode).

eti_

My motherboard is the M4N68T V2 from Asus, it's an old one so I'm pretty sure it doesn't support UEFI.

Furthermore, I don't think there will be an update from Asus.

Even then the power supply shouldn't be the cause of all my problems, I just think I'll send back my RX460 to Amazon and go green..

stace01

Hey listen.. My Motherboard is a Asus z77. It sold too. Before i took it in, i formatted my computer. and Windows 10 was so out of date that its crazy how much it changed when i loaded it. after that and installing drivers and such i still had a problem with black screens. I have a 650w power supply so thats not a problem. I would as a last resort format, then install drivers. If it still black screens and your graphics card doesnt have external power outlet i would take it in and just get one like mine. Guily was right with the product name, I had a Asus Rx460 2GB that ran from the mother board only, and now i own a Strix RX460 4GB and my computer has never looked better. So before you go green, just try...theres no harm in trying....In one day i went from not playing to playing on ultra and just having a blast. Good Luck.

eti_

Thanks, going green really is my last resort.

My power supply is pretty small (only around 460W) but no issues are found when looking at the temps, voltages etc..

The fact that it crashes might come from the PSU but it's still pretty annoying having to change every bit of your config because some component isn't working properly.

I bought my RX from Amazon at around 100€, the thing is that the other power supply powered ones add +40€ to the price, and as I said before it's my parents who are paying, not me.

And I know for sure that they won't be okay with having to return a product and getting a new one AND costing them more money.

stace01

Hey, I currently have the same issues. I just upgraded from my HD 7750 to the rx460 and it seems like the display driver is out of whack. At first i was only getting black screens when playing games for the first 2 minutes but now it has started with my browser as well. I have also heard that its not just AMD that has black screen problems with new games. Nvidia is currently in the same boat. Althought VGA is out of date, upgrading to DVI is a better solution. Not much difference between HDMI and DVI. and connecting to either should not be a problem. I have sent support tickets to all the game developers who i have black screens with and i will, tomorrow morning be calling AMD and asking them to figure this out. It only seems to be happening with new games in the last year or so or in the last 4 months that are causing black screens with with the cards. It makes me wonder if the codex for the games are not written correctly for the drivers and such that the cards have. I wonder if there is a compatability issue between game codex and graphic card codex.....just a thought..

eti_

Good stuff.

I just installed Windows 10 to see if it made a difference, it didn't.

I also tried using Linux (Debian Stretch fyi) but it really is the GPU's firmware that glitches on any platform.

I hope AMD fixes this soon because otherwise I'll have to send back my GPU and it would be heartbreaking for a first experience with AMD.

Keep me updated, I'd love to hear a response from AMD.

Post-script:

It doesn't actually happen only on 'new' games on my side.

Tried with BF4 & Crysis 3 (which are starting to be a bit old) and it still glitched.

stace01

So far the only update i have is from a game developer from Guildwars2. We have tried everything to fix the screens and nothing. I have sent an email to them again asking if they have had more issues with the rx460. I hope to get a response tonight yet since they have really good support. If all else fails and AMD doesnt find a fix, i'm afraid that after 12 years im going to have to change my GC company to Nvidia or go back to my old trusted and true 7750, that is currently very tired. I'll keep you posted. I also have posted a thread on here for my rx460. i'll keep you in the loop if any one replies to that as well. Cheers

eti_

Little update on the situation.

I tried changing my old screen with my TV just for a little time, I played around 4 hours without any black screens.

So I think that both the GPU & the monitor aren't helping.

The only thing that bothers me right now is the driver crashes, I cannot seem to play more than 20 minutes of Warframe without the drivers not answering.