5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 3:44 PM by feline1

Installation of the latest AMD graphics driver fails repeatedly on my machine

feline1

Hi, wonder if anyone has any suggestions to solve this problem.
      My 'Radeon Control Centre' keeps inviting me to install the new 21.19.137.1 driver, but it fails every time, same message in the log file that's produced.

AMD Display Driver

Final Status:Fail
      Version of Item:21.19.137.1
      Size:90 Mbytes

Error messages
      Driver Install: the installation failed

The installation also fails if I go to the AMD website, and run the 'find the latest driver' tool.

And thirdly Microsoft's system updates have been trying to install it for me, and *that* has been failing.

A triple fail whammy

It has been doing this for several weeks, I've probably tried it at least half a dozen times in that period, never worked yet, finally I got irritated enough to seek out a support forum.

My system details, should they have any bearing on this...

AMD Graphics Card: Radeon R7 200 Series

Desktop PC running the latest Windows 10 64bit (v1607 build 14393.351)

Current graphics driver: radeon 16.7.3

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 2433 1920x1200 60Hz on a DVI connection

Motherboard is Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, CPU is an Intel Core i7 X980 3.33GHz hexacore, 

I've got 6GB of RAM

For what it's worth, I've had this graphics had in my machine for years, and the driver updates have always worked fine until this one.

Oh and I also tried the tip of "Empty the folder C:/AMD of all previous drivers" but that made no difference whatsoever.

Cheers

• Re: Installation of the latest AMD graphics driver fails repeatedly on my machine
          jinxed

pretty much same issue here, has been going on for a month or so for me atleast and just tried again today to see if any different results...

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series

You're on windows 10, i'm on windows 8 though.  Same "Current graphics driver"being 16.7.3

I'm gonna try wiping it all out and starting from scratch.  Will let ya know if anything changes..

1 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Installation of the latest AMD graphics driver fails repeatedly on my machine
            feline1

Well, AMD support came back with this (basically, go fet the unsupported 3rd party freeware "DDU" tool, and use it in Safe Mode to clean out all our crap. ... we don't support this, so if anything goes wrong, you can go fly a kite... loool.... luckily, however, it appears to have worked.

A pity that AMD can't design their own installers to be as effective as "DDU".

This issue could have been caused due to any of the following reasons.

• Driver files Conflict.
            • Corrupted driver files.

Performing the clean installation of the latest driver could resolve this issue.

Clean installation is nothing but removing all the leftovers of the previous/existing driver from the system completely. Overwriting on the existing driver causes driver files conflict and could lead to some performance issue.

To perform this, please make use of the DDU tool, a device driver uninstallation utility

I would request you to uninstall the drivers by entering to Safe Mode on your computer. It will help you completely uninstall AMD graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind.

Once the older/existing driver is completely removed, please download and install the latest driver (16.11.2), provided in the below link:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Also, ensure that you have installed all the available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often .Net framework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers.

If you have antivirus enabled, please disable it and install the driver.

Please perform the above and check the issue status.

Thanks for contacting AMD.