11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 7:12 AM by niazniaz

Computer crashes on desktop, fine in games

niazniaz

I am using a Gigabyte R7 360 2GB with  Windows 7 Ultimate and after installing non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.11.2-nov4.exe it crashes after logging on and opening the desktop.

I was using a previous version of the driver, but even then, it would stay on the desktop for a few minutes before crashing.

However, if I opened Counter-Strike or Hotline Miami, I can play for a couple of hours with no more problem.

I tried using a different windows version and completely wiped my computer, but it still doesn't work.

With no drivers it works fine, but no gaming can happen. My motherboard BIOS is updated, so I really don't know what the problem is.

Please Help.

(I'll try uploading the dump files, but I'don't know how to do that)

• Re: Computer crashes on desktop, fine in games
          amdmatt

Are you getting any error messages or BSOD messages? Run through out troubleshooting document to see if it resolves the crashing. Use DDU to remove your current drivers.

Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems

niazniaz

I actually update my drivers manually, through Windows device manager.

It says my driver software has been correctly installed and that I should restart for changes to apply

After logging on after the restart, the screen flickers and goes green.

After rebooting into safe mode, where it doesn't crash I get a dialog box saying that there was a BSOD, but it doesn't explain it any further.

amdmatt

Try the above then. ^

niazniaz

I tried and the above, and it doesn't seem to help.

For the DISM thing, I am on windows 7, so I used the update i got from the windows website.

In fact it seems less stable now.

amdmatt

Okay. I would next try a clean installation of Windows. Fully update Windows before you install any other software, then try updating to the latest Crimson drivers once Windows is fully up to date, including all optional and recommended updates.

niazniaz

I already tried that.

I got a windows 7 iso from a Digital River mirror(official iso) and reinstalled windows.

At first it wasn't updating, so i used wsus offline and installed some updates, after which, I downloaded the rest of the updates through windows update.

It definitely more stable now, as it doesn't crash on the desktop, but now crashes when i open my browser.

Do you know any modded drivers for better stability?

kingfish

Having just reinstalled my Win7...I know what it takes to update it. If you stopped before you got a message "Your computer is up to date, there are no more updates for your computer" then you are wasting your time. It must be fully updated (Win7) before you even think of installing any AMD driver. It took two days for me. If you are having problems with Windows Update....read this > Following a clean install, Windows Update remains at "Checking For - Microsoft Community

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      niazniaz

Right now I've installed all updates, except the language packs.

Not sure what else to do

kingfish

These are the correct drivers for your computer...try the latest one > Desktop

niazniaz

It hasn't helped.

Right now, it can stay indefinitely just opened on the desktop, but if I open my browser or randomly, while loading a CS map, it crashes.

After running Whocrashed, I get this:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112016-10264-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4AD42C)

Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800757F8F8, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

If I upload the crash dump to OSR online, it says:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)

A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error

source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the

WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.

Arguments:

Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception

Arg2: fffffa800757f8f8, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.

Arg3: 0000000000000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Arg4: 0000000000000000, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Debugging Details:

------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_AuthenticAMD

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

STACK_TEXT: 

fffff880`027945b0 fffff800`022c8cb9 : fffffa80`0757f8d0 fffffa80`06d2d040 00000000`0000000b 00000000`00000000 : nt!WheapCreateLiveTriageDump+0x6c

fffff880`02794ad0 fffff800`021a8297 : fffffa80`0757f8d0 fffff800`022222d8 fffffa80`06d2d040 00000000`00000000 : nt!WheapCreateTriageDumpFromPreviousSession+0x49

fffff880`02794b00 fffff800`0210fb95 : fffff800`02284ba0 00000000`00000001 fffffa80`07576fa0 fffffa80`06d2d040 : nt!WheapProcessWorkQueueItem+0x57

fffff880`02794b40 fffff800`02082355 : fffff880`00e4ee00 fffff800`0210fb70 fffffa80`06d2d000 00000000`00000000 : nt!WheapWorkQueueWorkerRoutine+0x25

fffff880`02794b70 fffff800`02314236 : 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`06d2d040 00000000`00000080 fffffa80`06d21040 : nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x111

fffff880`02794c00 fffff800`0206a706 : fffff880`025e6180 fffffa80`06d2d040 fffff880`025f10c0 00000000`00000000 : nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x5a

fffff880`02794c40 00000000`00000000 : fffff880`02795000 fffff880`0278f000 fffff880`02f54720 00000000`00000000 : nt!KxStartSystemThread+0x16

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: AuthenticAMD

IMAGE_NAME: AuthenticAMD

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV

Followup: MachineOwner