1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2016 12:49 PM by larsbars

RX 460 driver crash, Windows event 4101 "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

larsbars

Describe your system:

AMD Graphics Card

·         SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 460 100409-2GOCL 2GB

Desktop or Laptop System

·         Desktop

Operating System

·         Windows 10 64bit

Driver version installed

·         Radeon Software Crimson 16.11.1 hotfix

Display Devices

·         Viewsonic VX2260WM on DVI 1920x1080 @60Hz

Motherboard

·         MSI K9N SLI V2

CPU/APU

·         AMD Phenom II X4 940 AM2+

Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage

·         OCZ 600w

RAM

·         8GB DDR2

Describe your issue:

World of Warships crashes to desktop after a few minutes of being at the port. Event 4101 sent by source "display" is logged in Windows “system” event logs, with message "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." The game must be closed and restarted.

Steps to repro:

1.       Launch World of Warships.

2.       Log in to your account and you are taken to the port screen.

3.       Click around the tech tree / modules / profile / rotate your ship / hover over some different modules.

4.       Eventually the game will stutter and crash to desktop, and must be restarted.

World of Warships is affected and easy to repro. I haven’t played any battles because I’m afraid the driver will crash and my record will go down from “quitting” matches. I have also seen the crash happen two times during FURmark tests.

The game is set to mostly “High” settings, with some settings turned lower. It is a little bit difficult to grab a screenshot due to the fact that the game crashes.

Let me know if you need any additional information or need me to try anything!

• Re: RX 460 driver crash, Windows event 4101 "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
          larsbars
          • I moved the Sapphire RX 460 2GB into my main AM3+ machine for one night, and had no problems for several hours of heavy gaming.
          • I upgraded my aging Socket AM2 rig to a new FM2+ rig, and the RX 460 has not had any problems since, with plenty of gaming. (1+ month)

Based on the posts I have been seeing, there is something wrong with the RX 460 PCI-e power or bandwidth on computers with older PCI Express revisions. It's unfortunate because the RX 460 seemed to be shaping up to be "A good upgrade for older machines" especially since it doesn't need external power.

As it stands, I guess until these issues are resolved, I wouldn't use RX 460 in an old rig. It looks like someone fixed it mostly by underclocking / undervolting in WattMan. Probably best to do that as a workaround to the problem.

Closing this out as being fixed: don't use RX 460 in older systems.