1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 1:28 AM by goodplay

Unable to install any new display drivers

jru5002

I just recently installed an AMD Radeon R9 380 series and have thus far been unable to successfully install any new drivers. I've researched this thoroughly over the past few weeks because my symptoms are similar to many others already reported and stickied at the top of this forum, but no solutions offered have done anything at all to help.

When the drivers are installing, the installer freezes my PC at 19% every time and I'm forced to shut down using the power button. When I reload windows, sometimes there are no drivers installed and sometimes it says the newest one is installed but I get error prompts saying certain files are missing or corrupt since the installation is incomplete.

I've tried to bypass the installer by using the Device Manager to install the driver directly but it still freezes. Also, I've been able to use the installer to install non-display drivers like AMD Settings and the HDMI Audio driver.

Researching this process led to my having to do a clean install of Windows. With a fresh Windows installation, I WAS able to install the most recent display driver. Then the subsequent updated driver that came out on 10/20 repeated the same behavior. That being said, I've tried to remove the currently installed driver with DDU and the AMD cleanup tool, but those also cause my PC to freeze leading me to believe that the uninstall is incomplete. Subsequent attempts to install the newest driver fail as always at 19%. So it seems with a clean installation of Windows I was able to install an AMD driver without issue but any attempt to remove or upgrade an existing driver will always fail.

I would appreciate any additional suggestions for things to try as I'm really out of ideas on how to proceed. Right now my PC works with 15.300.1025.1001 (I believe this is the version Windows installs by default). Obviously I would like to keep my drivers up to date and current but until AMD can fix these problems I won't be able to use the newer versions or take advantage of the newer optimizations or bug fixes.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz

8gb RAM

MSI LGA1155/Intel H61/DDR3/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard H61M-P31

2 Monitors, one Asus touchscreen (1600x900) and one eMachines (1920x1080), both using DVI

I've attached a dxdiag if needed.