1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 5:15 AM by amdmatt

Powercolor RX 480 8gb reference model not working?

dictatorgamer

Hi, not too long ago I brought a Powercolor RX 480 8gb gpu from newegg. I heard great things about this breast like Gpu and how its good for playing games. I got this gpu from launch date and made a pc build for it. I played some Payday 2 with the gpu and its good. Good framerates and everything. I tried to play The Witcher 3 but got horrible frame rates. Don't believe me? Here take a look at this $900 Gaming PC Build RX 480 + i7 6700 (2016) - YouTube I have plenty other benchmarks in my video. (Fast forward 3 months) Omg its so terrible. I can't even run rise of the tomb raider max settings at 1080p. The game closes at the title screen, my gpu doesn't heat up. Payday 2 on the other hand drops frames whenever I record it at max settings at 1080p. I can't 1080p that game anymore and Its unreliable frame rates. Ok, at the beginning I didn't care. I was ok when I could play Payday 2 at 1080p max settings with a good 60fps. I can't play overwatch at max settings, because my Rx 480 heats up, closes the game to prevent its self from catching on fire. During July all I played was Hyperdimension neptunia rebirth 1. That game wasn't hungry for power or specs. Everytime I would play it while recording, I would get sudden frame drops. It was horrible, it was like my gpu was having a seizure. I used bandicam instead, problem solved.

Ok this isn't organized good ;/ I think my gpu has burned out over 4 or 3 months. I think the gpu isn't even 8gb video ram. I think its 4gb. Why? I went on Can I run it website and its saying my gpu is 4gb and 3gb of dedicated video ram. To be sure I check my program called Techpowerup Gpu-z and its saying it has memory size 8192mb which is of course 8gbs? idk, I can't run Rise of the tomb raider anymore not because my gpu overheats, but I think because my rx 480 doesn't have the muscle to play it.

My Gpu http://www.powercolor.com/us/show_img.asp?id=611&file=image_b_s_2.jpg Explain what the H is happening here.

• Re: Powercolor RX 480 8gb reference model not working?
          amdmatt

I'm using a RX 480 and it is good for playing games, but it does not have the power to run most games maxed out at 1080P, as neither does my Fury X. Some games can be run maxed out, but not all.

What temperatures is the GPU hitting? I can provide some recommended Wattman settings that should keep performance steady and temperatures in check.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is far too demanding to run at maximum settings. Using x4 SSAA you are effectively running the game at 4K resolution. Dial back your settings a little and things should stabilize.