2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2016 1:46 AM by benj_master

Resolution is exceeding my display at 1920x1080, where is the overscan/underscan option?

benj_master

So I've updated Radeon and my HD 7800 series GPU to the latest and my resolution is going beyond what my TV can display (basically, I can't see about 10% of both left and right sides).
      I can't play nor watch a movie properly.

I've checked multiple options:
      -There is no more overscan/underscan.
      -Tweaked all possible settings ("virtual resolution", "scaling option", "custom display resolution", etc.) along with Windows Display Settings.
      -Restarted my pc.
      -Unplugged/plugged my HDMI port.
      -Rolled back to the previous GPU driver.

I'm running Windows 10 64bit, Radeon Crimson 16.6, GPU HD 7800 2GB version 21.19.137.1, 16GB DDR5 RAM, FX-8120

Please help this nonsense, the only answer I found so far is AMD saying "We are working on this, roll back to the previous driver" but that thread was dated APRIL 6, 2016...

• Re: Resolution is exceeding my display at 1920x1080, where is the overscan/underscan option?
          catchabreak

Your tv should have a setting to disable the overscan. It maybe well hidden in the controls but should be there mines in feature and its called full mode , but it could be called anything. If you cant find it then do the following

in Radeon additional settings. Now I use a TV as a monitor and the setting is called HDTV support. What it does is allow me to enable screen resolutions that EDID driver is not identifying correctly, Don't Know what its called if you use monitors or if it is available for them, but it did enable me to add some resolutions to my graphics card.

in Radeon additional settings  there is a menu called custom resolutions.

you can change size of screen and is for fixing overscan or unusual monitor/tv sizes.

make a note of the timings here,  or you can use a mobile to capture the screen.

decrease horizontal and vertical timings by about 10 each time then use verify to confirm if the resolution will work. the screen will flash briefly and show the new resolution and ask if you want to keep it.

If the screen goes blank for about 5 to 10 seconds this means the resolution will not work and you need to use ignore it

you will have to do this for every resolution you use

This worked fine for me then I read on a forum about changing overscan with tv settings and this made it  a lot easier no more unique screen sizes

Each TV company has a different place and name for overscan. I can't list them all, but I hope I can give you a few examples so you can find it on your TV.

The most common setting name is called something similar to "Size." It might also be "Wide," "Screen Fill," "Screen Fit," "Aspect Ratio" or "Format."

Annoyingly, once you find the control, the options aren't always labeled well. What you're looking for is 1x1 pixel mapping, which, as it sounds, maps each pixel in the source to each pixel on your TV. Some TVs will label this as "Full," "Fit" or "Dot by Dot." If it's not clear, select each one and see which one shows the most image.

Others TVs, like Panasonic and Sony, have an additional setting you must enable to get 1x1. On many Panasonic TVs, once you've enabled "Full" you also have to select "Size 2" in the settings menu to eliminate overscan. Sneaky

even has this on Panasonic plasma screens How to turn off overscan on Panasonic plasma? - Forums - CNET

just search for your tv model and overscan