29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2018 4:06 PM by pokester

HOW TO USE FREESYNC

amz

Hello guys , so FREESYNC only works with FRTC or V-SYNC, it can not works without these 2 tech even if the fps are in the freesync range ?

thx, explain me beacause I'm getting mad about that

• Re: HOW TO USE FREESYNC
          amz

up

amdmatt

FreeSync will only work if the application is run in exclusive fullscreen mode and the FPS are inside the FreeSync range. If you enable Vsync while using FreeSync you should find it easier to stay within the FreeSync range as you will never exceed it, providing you have enough processing power in the GPU to maintain the FPS above the low end of the FreeSync range.

FreeSync can and does work on all my systems without Vsync or FRTC, providing the FPS are in the FreeSync range. However it makes sense to use Vsync and FreeSync together as FreeSync removes all the negative aspects of using Vsunc, such as stuttering and input lag.

amz

I really wanna believe you, but in some games, without Vsync or FRTC with the fps in the freesync range, it still have tearing

holl0918

What would be better, turning on Vsync in-game or using Enhanced Sync+FRTC? I am looking for the least input lag while staying at my refresh rate of 75hz.

pokester

I believe the optimal way for free sync to work is to set use chill if that is available to you and set the min and max just inside your freesync range of your monitor. However this gives me stutters. I use vsync off and set FRTC to be 1 frame lower than my max range on the monitor. My range max is 75 so I set FRTC to 74. This works well for me. I do occasionally get some tearing but mostly not in game more going in and out of maps back to menus. The input lag is still greatly reduced over Vsync on. I can use VSYNC  with freesync too and it is perfect but has some lag so I don't use it in my shooters online only in offline games.

I hope that helps some.

Good Luck & Happy Gaming!

amdmatt

Least input lag would be FreeSync on, Vsync off, Enhanced Sync on. You should test with Enhanced Sync on and off on a per game basis and see which works best for you.

holl0918

Any FRTC or Chill?

pokester

Hi Matt. Good to see you, haven't seen you much lately!  Hey I had been having issue with chill and FreeSync so I have recently been using VSYNC of with FRTC cap.

Last night though I decided to give Chill a go again with great results. Just FreeSync on and Chill set with Min and Max per game is working great!

Out of curiosity Matt is there a reason that the Chill Min and Max are not available globabally and only per game. Is it because it is dependent on individual game support that the driver can't control or just a missing feature?

Another question on the chill too please. The F11 global key I don't see that toggling it makes any difference. How do I know what difference it makes. No idea if it is on or off as it doesn't seem to change the on and off status of chill anywhere? Also the only way you know the key push does anything is it makes a different sound for each push like one is off and one is on but no idea on which is which? Do you? I can't find info on this anywhere.

I was tickled with my Battlefield One performance last night with chill and freesync thought. The least lag I have ever experienced. We are on the right track here with this 18.3.4 driver now.

holl0918

The F11 hotkey only works in-game while you have chill enabled, and toggles Chill on/off for that gaming session. Chill is enabled when you start playing, so tapping F11 once turns it off/disables the FPS caps. If you stare at the sky in BF1, watch your fps when you press F11, you should see it climb up to either your FRTC cap, your Vsync cap, or the max your card can output. Depending on your settings. Press it again and Chill will activate again.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

pokester

I didn't see any change doing that. That's the problem. It seemed to be keeping the cap either way. Not complaining as at least the chill was working well.  And no way of knowing which is supposed to be on and off. Do you know which sound is on and off?  Thanks for the answer though much appreciate it.

pokester

I simple indicator changing of some sort in the overlay would be really nice instead of you having to somehow just perceive a difference.

holl0918

Yes, the two low tones that are the same are off, the three ascending ones are on

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                pokester

thanks for differentiating! That helps. I knew the sounds had to indicate one or the other. Just no idea which! Curiosity do you know if this resets then each time you start a game or does it remember the last sessions setting?

holl0918

It resets when you restart the game. It will always be on when you first start the game.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                        pokester

Many this really helps. You have no idea how many places I went trying to find these answers and all I found was people asking the same thing. I guess if your system is powerful enough that you see the frames shoot up high enough you know for sure whats what but if you are already maxing around your frame cap or in my case less. Then how could you possibly know. And the is no indicator or explanation of what the sounds are, in fact the AMD stuff doesn't even mention the sounds just that their is the F11 hotkey. So you are giving some great help here!

holl0918

Np, happy to help. I am running a Rx580 8gb overclocked to 1425mhz core and 2200mhz VRAM running at 1080p 75hz FreeSync.

pokester

My monitor is 1440p 60hz native with a FreeSync range of 48 to 78. But in BF One for instance I run between 55 and 62 and that's about the best my card can do.

I have an XFX Black RX 580 that is a factory capable of 1425, I have mine at  1460 with notable improvement. I can run the card to 1475 stable but at that speed it is slower than 1460. My memory wont do as well as yours unfortunately 2020 is as high as I can go without instability. Was hoping for better as I even have Samsung ram. However it doesn't really seem to be memory restricted anyway. So unless I could push the GPU core a lot higher, I don't think it would really matter much. Again thanks for all the help and info, and your hardware info share too!

holl0918

I have been having a little bit of trouble with knowing if my VRAM is stable just because it runs through benchmarks (Heaven, Valley, FurMark, etc.) just fine maxed out at 2250mhz, but then it will randomly crash my PC after I have been playing a game for an hour or two. I dropped it to 2200 and haven’t had it happen again so far. I was still seeing performance gain at 2250 vs 2200 in the benchmarks, never got any artifacting, it just randomly crashes at that speed when I play games. My PC will just randomly reboot itself… I kind of wish there was an easier way to tell if your VRAM was stable. When I OC core it is pretty obvious when you start getting artifacts in FurMark, they show up fast and because it is such a regular pattern they are easy to spot.

pokester

Mine only crashed when it was unstable too. Never saw any glitches or anything like that. I'd say 2200 is pretty decent. I'd be very happy with that. I will add that I could run through the benchmarks to without issue, but certain games would crash. Some are just way more temperamental than others. I like the heaven at this point to test stability as it runs fast enough now to know if it's a stability issue and not that I am taxing the card too much. I like the superposition benchmark to test the best overclock as you can really evaluate the differences down to an individual frame change because it is so taxing.

holl0918

For checking core stability I really prefer MSI Kombustor under Combined FurMark & Tessmark load. I have to manually set my fans to 100% at all times and take the side panel off my case to prevent thermal throttling while I do it, but running the 1080p benchmark with the built in artifact scanner running is very good at picking up on any artifacts. I could get my core to 1435mhz before I noticed artifacts on my third run-through using Heaven, but when I ran it through kombustor it picked up artifacts inside of 20 seconds. I had to back it down another 10mhz to get it totally stable. Each run of kombustor only takes one minute, and once I found my max stable I only ran it 2-3 times to check. Works like a charm. It does get toasty though, my card maxed out at about 82c on the third run through w/ side panel off and fans going full blast. I do like that it only takes me 2-3 minutes to check for total stability, and that it has a built in artifact detector that picks up on artifacts that are to small or go by to fast for the eye to catch. It is also good for seeing improvements memory clock changes, as every time I brought up the memory by 25mhz it would give me a drastic change in FPS and benchmark score. Here are my scores for the 1080p benchmark on the Combined setting.

Score   Core   VRAM

8133 - 1425 - 2175

8192 - 1425 - 2200

8284 - 1425 - 2225

8339 - 1425 - 2250