13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 2:36 PM by joker364

16.10.3 STILL Crashing

dementalist

I cannot reiterate my frustration with AMD's Crimson Edition drivers any further. Version 16.10.3 of the drivers is still causing the sound card to fail to respond to Windows query and then to recover. This has been a recurring problem ever since I bought the card. Fixing the TdrDelay value to "8" does no good.

The only known solution, thus far, has been to reduce GPU clockspeed by 300mhz on all seven states in AMD Wattman. This, of course, means that users must run 300 mhz under the advertised clockspeed.

Please fix this as soon as possible, AMD. The whole point of a graphics card is to play a game. But a user cannot play a game if their display driver is constantly crashing. This problem affects not just my Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 470 8GB model, but various models by XFX, ASUS, MSI and other manufacturers.

• Re: 16.10.3 STILL Crashing
          dementalist

And literally after I posted this, it did it again, this time outside of a game. Simply unacceptable.

doaner85

I'm having the same issue with my MSI Gaming RX 480 4GB (Not Gaming X). I've tried all kinds of things and my system still crashes. I tried DDU, Windows 10 reset, using older drivers, tried it with 1 monitor, my CPU temp is fine, GPU temp is fine, did a registry clean, increased power limit, underclocked it in WattMan, and changed Windows 10 power mode to high performance.

dementalist

Have you tried reducing the GPU clockspeed for each and every one of the seven states by 300 MHz? It is the only solution that has worked, as far as I am aware. This is a problem that is affecting everyone using AMD cards. Ever since the Crimson Edition drivers came to be, this issue has persisted, and AMD has yet to address it.

I am very strongly considering going back to the competition.

doaner85

Tried that and it still crashes

chin

No. It is not true the all AMD GPU users are facing PC crashing during game play.

I did not encounter any of the crashing since launch of all Crimson Drivers. I love it.

There are some version that I encountering shadows of stuttering during game play.

Even with 16.10.3 (latest driver), I have DX12 ON and I am not getting and stuttering on BF1.

I am CrossFiring Asus Strix R9 390 on a Asus Maximus VIII.

Go read the Green forum. They do have problems of their own.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    dementalist

the video card*

ambrose

Hello D.

Just wondering if you might decide to do a fresh install of your O.S. and just keep everything at their default settings until the O.S. is fully updated that you know everything is working normally, this might include the use of a previous card that you also know worked normally. Then when you feel everything is up to standards then re-install your RX 470.It may seem like a long process and I only suggest this as I install the new Crimson version(s) every time they become available, just did it, not 4 hrs ago and I continue on with my computing and/or gaming as usual, no issues. The only thing I see most of the time ( Not Always ) is that I use Windows 7 and a good portion of people use 10.

There must be something else going on with installs such as yours as I see these queries a lot on the forums, weather it is some type of compatibility issue or an install issue, a seating issue with the card, definitely something askew I can't believe the frequency of the issues I see with these cards. I would really like to build a new computer in the near future but it is really hard to figure out what hardware is compatible with each other to make a good choice.

Good Luck, Ambrose

leopard

I've changed my setup, gpu is Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB and updated it to 16.10.3. Directx crashes quickly on like every game. This is not acceptable. :/

apolics

I have to agree that it is not acceptable but not just on a single series of AMD graphics cards. I would have to say every card on the market because this has been a problem for years. About the only thing you can do is provide AMD with info and hope their next driver is the solution. On the other hand you can learn how to code a driver and create one that works with the current problem. However I do not think either will work because of the GPU design and specifications lacking the requirement for actual gaming use.

qwixt

I suggest you contact Sapphire support. Maybe you can get a RMA for new card. If you have to underclock your card to get it to work, then the factory OC is not working right.

I am a little confused that you mention sound card has issues with some windows query when you care talking about the AMD drivers.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                              joker364

My browsers were crashing. I had multiple blue screens, and had some random resets all from the drivers. I even tried a fresh install of OS and it still crashed randomaly. It was finally fixed once I cleaned the drivers using DDU and loaded 16.7.3 and disabled auto updates. Now everything is running just fine... Hopefully AMD fixes this stuff... If not, than I'll be going to Nvidia for sure. I am running a MSI R9 290X.

chin

I was having the Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X in June 2014. But when Crimson Drivers first release, I was running it without a problem. I love the Crimson Driver right from the start as compared to the Catalyst Drivers.

I sold the R9 290X before the warranty expired and now I am happily running the Asus Strix R9 390 Crossfire.

Awaiting the launch of Vega.

Think you should bring your MSI R9 290X to a computer store to check it out.

joker364

Store would be a waste of time and money. The fact that it works with earlier Crimson drivers just fine indicates a driver(software) issue not hardware. That is up to AMD to fix.

Everything below runs just fine right now. No problem with any game crashing at all.

Radeon Software Version - 16.7.3

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

GPU - AMD Radeon R9 290X

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1030 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 7 (64 bit)

System Memory - 24 GB

CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor