17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2017 1:33 PM by pill

AMD FX 9590 overheat

mjmatsuura

I have problem with my FX 9590

Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0  (Bios 2501 lastest)

Mem Gskill Ripsaw 1866Mhz 16gb

Power supply XFX 850PRO 80 plus gold

CPU cooler Coolermaster H100 and now canged for NZXT Kraken X61.

But I have problem with temperature in idle 41º C and full work for 4 minutes with AIDA64 go to 68º C.

What go is wrong?

I try the same configuration with another CPU FX 8320e full work with AIDA64 for 40 minutes and the temperature up to 40º.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tengo problema con mi FX 9590

placa madre  ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0  (Bios 2501 el ultimo)

Memoria RAM Gskill Ripsaw 1866Mhz 16gb

Fuente XFX 850PRO 80 plus gold

CPU cooler Coolermaster H100 ay ahora lo cambie por un NZXT Kraken X61.

Pero sigo teniendo problema de temperatura, quieto esta a 41º C mas o menos y al 100% con AIDA64 sube a 68ºC en 4 minutos.

Que esta mal?

Probé la misma configuración con un micro AMD FX 8320E con AIDA64 y la temperatura quedo estable a 40º.

• Re: AMD FX 9590 overheat
          arcticwind

The FX-9590 is a 220 watt processor, it produces a lot of heat.

Those temps you are getting are about normal.

You will find a lot of info on this on the web, Try cpu-world.com.

black_zion

No, it's going to 52°C which is perfectly normal. The Socket temperature is useless and meaningless, the core temperature is what you look at.

Capture.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                mjmatsuura

Oooh! Thanks.

Hello black_zion,

How can the package temperature be higher the cores' ? Bulldozer microarchitecture based processor is a power hunger monster! So the high temperature is just normal for them. If you choose the proper heatsink with proper way to install it onto your system which could provide adequte and stable power supply, and your system works without problems, you should worry about nothing!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

black_zion

Because the socket or package temperature is calculated using the value of a sensor in the motherboard socket and running it though an algorithm, whereas the core temperature is the actual value of the sensor on the CPU core.

2 of 2 people found this helpful

No, allow me to be frank! You make the two concepts up-side-down! The Core temperature is calculated through an algorithms, but the package temperature is read by the sensors on motherboard. The source of heat is coming from the processor core, so it must be higher than the contacted devices. The only thing is that the value of core temperatures is not the real one! Since 2005, I have been got in touch with AMD processors based machine, and it is quite normal for me to find something like this for AMD processors.

pill

Not entirely useless.  

The socket sensor ("CPU") is needed at idle because under ~42c the on-die ("Core") readout is nothing but gobbledygook. (This is by design, something AMD never made clear to customers but can be found in the ASIC docs.).

So until ~40c  - look at CPU - over ~40 look at "Core".  Idle temp isn't important but knowing the fluctuation in temp under idle/load can be useful. 

By the way -- no 61c "Thermal Maximum" exists for Bulldozer/Pildriver.    Vishera  Tjmax is ~85c-~90c.  

Any throttling before then will be due to the VRM's (not a problem for OP since Sabertooth VRM's are rated @~320w ).

Most info above can be found in the AMD64 BKDG architecture guides or AMD Chipset/ASIC references.

Hope this helps.

stamos1924

Hallo Guys I have the same problem with overheating. that's my hardware

Motherboard: asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0

Processor: Amd Fx 9590

Water Cooling: Swiftech H220

Power Supply: Seasonic 850watt

Graphics Card: Amd Radeon r9 290

I am watching the program of asus on thermal radar and see that temperature is on 43 degrees of celsius and when gaming on 60 or 65 degrees. Is it normal??

black_zion

That unit is on the middle of the road when it comes to AIO liquid coolers, only having about he same power as the Corsair H80i, and given the 220w TDP of the FX-9590, so 65°C sounds reasonable, though it exceeds the thermal maximum of 61°C for Bulldozer architecture chips.

stamos1924

I want to thank you for fast answers, I live in Greece and one problem of many is that summer enviroment is 40 degrees of celsius. But i need a new case too with more vedilators. Because my case is a bit small and maybe needs more place for vedilators. This problem with temperature is only in summer.It is ok for that high end processor, i think.

black_zion

You should upgrade to a new Ryzen system. Aside from the much lower TDP, its performance increases 50% compared to the FX series. And no, it is not OK, 61°C temperature limit applies to every FX series processor, the FX-9590 is just an FX-8350 with a much higher voltage and slightly higher clocks.

stamos1924

Here is guys the program of asus for my processor. i do not know if it is ok with specific settings. Because the problem is on temperature.IMG_20170711_235349.jpg

pill

The 8320 temps are OK, if you want them higher disable turbo and overclock it 4.7.    Wallah! - you now have a 9590.