14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 8:00 AM by black_zion

Looking to do a dual graphics build but not sure of compatibility of DDR3 and GDDR5.

thegeek

Hello everyone, I am familiar with computer building although it has been some time, we are talking 2007 since my last build, so I am a bit rusty. Since then I know there have been a lot of advancements and know things are not as straight forward as they used to be. When it comes to things like GDDR3 and GDDR5, I am getting all sorts of mixed results when searching online with no actual answer. I know that they are dedicated memory for the graphics card so it does not matter if a GDDR5 graphics card is installed in a DDR3 motherboard. However, there is no definitive answer on these when it comes to dual graphics, as in combining the APU and GPU for better performance. I say it like that just to clarify because I see some people consider dual graphics as using two monitors and consider crossfire as combining graphics cards. I am finding it all depends on who you talk to I guess.  Okay back on subject.... lol 

I am planning on building this system:

• AMD A10 7870K APU with heat sink and fan (I cannot currently justify buying a A10 7890K)
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H motherboard
      • ADATA XPG V1 (AX3U2133W8G10-DR) DDR3 2133 MHz 2x 8GB memory
      • XFX R7-360P-F22M 2GB 1050MHz GDDR5 graphics card
      • Radeon R3SL240G SSD (for gaming)
      • HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III 32MB Cache

Main uses of this PC will be for Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition with add-ons like Traffic 360, Active Sky Next, and various freeware AFCAD / Scenery files. The goal is to run this sim smoothly without jitter at minimum 30 FPS with maxed scenery and global setting, along with 60% Airport, 60% General Aviation, Medium Ground Vehicle, 15% Traffic, 15% of leisure and carriers ships settings at 1080P.

Secondary uses will be for media entertainment such as Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Music, some light Online Gaming and playing Company of Heroes: Steam Edition (max settings).

Third uses will be for everything else such as internet surfing, email, etc.

I am wanting to know if I can successfully "crossfire" the AMD A10 7870K DDR3 with the XFX GDDR5 graphics card to better performance. Otherwise I will have to, what looks like for my budget, downgrade to an overclocked MSI R7 250 DDR3.

Also need to try and figure out if for my particular setup, if 4x 4GB would be better instead of 2x 8GB for the 2133Mhz RAM.

Any knowledgeable expert suggestions would be quite helpful in this matter!

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

• Re: Looking to do a dual graphics build but not sure of compatibility of DDR3 and GDDR5.
          amdmatt

GDDR5 and 3 are both compatible with Dual Graphics, but what's really important is to pick a R7 250 (Oland) that has 384 shaders, and not 512 shaders (Cape Verde). Only the former is compatible with Dual Graphics. You'll also want Dual Channel system memory running at either 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz.

• Re: Looking to do a dual graphics build but not sure of compatibility of DDR3 and GDDR5.
              thegeek

Thank you so much for your reply!

So my choice of 2133Mhz is too fast of DDR3 memory? I just ask because I am always reading that the faster the memory the better, yet again, I am a bit rusty and not exactly up to date with today's systems. I am just trying to understand better as I am not looking to blindly slap together a PC.  As for the graphics card, I originally was looking at an MSI overclocked R7 250 DDR3 which is 2GB @ 1050Mhz @ 1.8Mhz memory speed. My concern was it would not be a fast enough boost for the AMD A10 7870K for more graphically demanding games like Company of Heroes or the new DOOM at high settings. Sorry for not mentioning DOOM in my post, it is just a game I have been thinking about in the back of my head for a while and still on the bench about it. I am mainly a Simmer and overall a light gamer. One last thing, how do I know if a graphics card is Cape Verde or Oland? Sorry, like I said I am a bit rusty.  So far you have been a great help and thank you again for your response!