22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 6:49 PM by colesdav

Crossfire looking for group information regarding issues

labby

Hiya,  i have been a long time user of AMD GPU's but this latest BF1 release is the final straw when it comes to crossfire issues.

Could anyone who has crossfire and still has issues, from flickering to crashing, post here.

At this moment in time crossfire is not fit for purpose but is still being used as a selling point. I have already seen 1 guy go down the crossfire path for BF1 and he is now experiencing how bad the support is. Yes i know the game is knew, but AMD are partnered with Dice and should be one step ahead of this. If it was just one or two games I wouldn't have an issue but it is so many.

Now DX12 is out and mgpu has nothing to do with them on that api it is as if they don't care about us crossfire users. Problem is most game devs aren't coding their game engines to support mgpu.

I am currently looking into the sales of goods act and consumer protection act about this in the UK. I just need a rough idea of how many games are still crossfire broken. This list is for new to old games but only ones that state the game supports mgpu on dx11.

I know this probably sounds anal but enough is enough.

I will start off. If a game has already been put on the list please add it again if you have the same issue. Just so i can get some rough numbers of crossfire users and so on.

(please keep this to crossfire issues only)

Bf1/ 2x fury x's/ Flickering - limited to if any scaling at all - serious stutter - massive fps drops

• Re: Crossfire looking for group information regarding issues
          pingolino

I own 295x2. One card, 2 GPU's on the r9 290x architecture. Probably the best single card AMD has at the moment.

I don't have any issues with the graphics of BF1. No stutter or flicker or anything of the sort.

However, yes, the crossfire is totally not working, Only GPU 1 is working and GPU 2 is just chilling out at 0% utilization.

It sucks, but i still pull pretty decent 80 fps, so the game is more than playable. On Crossfire (expecting very good scales here) I am thinking its going to pull 140 fps perhaps more?

Here's fingers crossed.

colesdav

Hi,

RE: "I am currently looking into the sales of goods act and consumer protection act about this in the UK. I just need a rough idea of how many games are still crossfire broken. This list is for new to old games but only ones that state the game supports mgpu on dx11. I know this probably sounds anal but enough is enough".

I think that is a bit excessive to be honest, although I do agree that it would be nice to have a full list of Crossfire Supported Titles and a fully accurate Crossfire Compatibility Chart which includes "Cross Generation Compatibility" ... i.e. the fact that you can actually crossfire cards with the same chip architecture, such as HD7970 and R9 280x.

Game Developers need to work with AMD to ensure that Crossfire Drivers work with their games. It is not just AMD's fault.

Game developers are often unclear about which titles support Crossfire or SLI for that matter.

I can give a few a examples where Crossfire works really well for me now. When I say "Really well" I mean Scaling in the range of 1.6-1.9 and no flickering or stability issues.

(1). Tom Clancys "The Division" - I can get 59 FPS on Ultra benchmark with a pair of Crossfired  HD7970/R9280x on i7-4770K.

It runs well in game. I can play the game happily will Graphics settings maxed out completely. "The Division" is one of the a toughest games I have seen on CPU and GPU.

(2). All Crysis Series work great with excellent scaling.

(3). Borderlands 2 scales great for me too.

(4), Battlefield 4.

(5). WatchDogs.

... there are more examples.

It is a pretty long list to be honest.

You might also want to have a look at the viideo from Jays2Cents on first release Reference RX480 crossfire performance on the very latest 2016 titles. It was really impressive. It looks like AMD have done a great job on that. I do not think they have 'dropped' Crossfire support at all. A pair of RX480's really do stay up there with GTX970 SLI / GTX1080 at a fraction (2/3rd) of the cost.

If you ask me, Crossfire is an undersold feature from AMD but it should be pitched more as a way to extend the life of a previous GPU investment.

What I mean by that is that say you bought a top of the range card, two years later that card cannot run the latest games at required FPS.

You can Crossfire with a (now much cheaper / second hand) compatible card for less than buying new high end card.

In terms of return on investment I would also say that AMD Crimson Driver Vulkan performance improvement on DOOM was like AMD gave me a brand new high performance card.

You might also notice that AMD have massively improved Driver update frequency and quality. I have actually seen people complaining that there are too many Driver Updates these days.

I guess AMD are damned if they do and damned if they do not.

The best way to get things fixed from AMD is to "Report Issue". Note that things will not get fixed immediately. You need to keep testing the next driver release and keep reporting the issue. (AMD really do need to provide case tracking). But I can honestly say that they do eventuially get fixed in my experience.

The only real outstanding issue i have with Crossfire on my setup is that turning on Frame Pacing and Frame Rate Target Control does cause Freezing on some Games after around 5-10 minutes of game play (Borderlands 2 and Crysis 3 for sure). I really do wish they would look into it for me. It does seem to be working o.k. on "The Division" now. I keep reporting the issue and hope that it gets AMD attention.

I will try to look into BF1 Crossfire support on my Test Library setup if you wish.

Cheers.

colesdav.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
              colesdav

I forgot to mention.

I have just bought a pair of R9 Nanos for a Thunderbolt EGPU project which are pretty much FuryX with weaker power regulators and no watercooler.

I will try toi test those and work with you to get the issue fixed if I see it on the Nanos.

Cheers.

pingolino

Although I really applaud your enthusiasm in trying to resolve all of these

issues, I think you need to consider the fact that AMD is not at fault here

but gaming developers themselves.

Take for instance battlefield 1. In BETA stages crossfire worked, although

there were reported major glitches such as flickering, in DX12 mode. On the

final release, BF1 obviously disabled SLI or crossfire in DX12. However,

its available in DX11 mode.

I know it sucks, but that's the deal. You can't go at AMD about it if the

game's core itself does not support it.

The only game I really have an issue with is Witcher 3. It looks and plays

super fine if i disable crossfire. If i enable it (and both gpu's DO FIRE

UP) I get flickering, some sort of distortions that pop up on occassion

(every 1-2 minutes for a split second) and so on. That really sucks.

colesdav

Hi,

Was your last comment in reply to labby?
                      In any case I agree ... it is not AMD fault that some titles do not work in Crossfire.
                      It is down to Game Devs to work with AMD to help get the Croissfire Profiles working before game launch.

Game Devs should also  make clear the state of Crossfire/SLI Support before launch.

Cheers.

colesdav

colesdav

Hi, I looked at Witcher 3 for you.

Quick answer for you regarding Flickering in The Witcher 3 from me, based on what I see.

Uninstall  your existing AMD driver. Use AMD Cleanup Utility or DDU after that. 
                        Install the latest Radeon Crimson 16.11.5.

Set Default Crossfire Profile.

Launch The Witcher 3.

Go to the following menu:

Options -> Video-> Postprocessing-> Anti-aliasing.

Turn the In Game Anti-aliasing off.

Please let me know if it gets rid of flickering and distortions.

It works really well for me.

I can run the initial stages of The Witcher 3 with an i7-4770K and a pair of R9 Nanos in Default Crossfire profile with:

CPU and GPU's all at Stock Clocks and settings.

I set the both the Nano's Target Fan Speed and Target Power to max, it gives better FPS. - no effect on any flickering.

I set Frame Pacing and Frame Rate Target Control and Vsync off.

HDMI out was used.

I used the following Settings in "The Witcher"

Graphics settings:

Vsync off.

Unlimited Frame Rate.

Ultra everything (all sliders to the right).

HairWorks on and everything Hairworks related set to maximum possible setting.  (again "Sliders to the right").

Postprocessing, everything set to maximum. Turn off the Anti-aliasing setting to remove the screen distortion/ banding / flicker. .

My setup is producing really beautiful graphics and I am getting around 80/90FPS.

If I overclock my CPU (I am not overclocking the GPUs) and turn off a few Postprocessing options I can easily hit a pretty constant 120 FPS in Crossfire with the R9 Nanos.

I will look into Frame Pacing, Frame Rate Target Control and see if other Crossfire Profile will push my FPS up/ improve the look of the Graphics later.

I will also look at overriding the Anti-aliasing in The Witcher 3 is possible and use AMD Anti-aliasing instead without causing the flickering issue.

I will file an AMD "Report Issue" about In Game Antialiasing in the Witcher 3 as well.

Please let me know if it works for you. It might not but hey I tried.

Got to get off to work now.

Bye.

colesdav

Hi,

So I just got my second (Brand New this time) XFX R9 Nano, at a knockdown price (same cost as a new XFX/Sapphire RX480 ovcerclockerd version) in Black Friday sale. I have just Crossfired it with Primary PowerColor R9 Nano.  Running the latest Radeon Software Version 16.11.5.

Results to follow.
                      Cheers.

colesdav

Initial results for The Division with a Pair of Fury Nano's and  Radeon Software Version 16.11.5

CPU i7-4770K.

2 of R9 Nano in Crossfire.

Default Settings in Crimson but with Frame Pacing and Target Frame Rate Control off.

HDMI out used.

AMD Freesync off.

Test = The Division Benchmark on Ultra with Vsync off.

Crossfire Profile used = Default.

No Flicker seen during the benchmark.

(1). No overclock (CPU and GPU at Stock) results.

=====================================

Test.                          FPS

Crossfire off.               49.9

Crossfire on.               61.1

Crossfire Scaling        1.22

(2). CPU overclock of 16% GPU's at Stock Clock Speed but Both GPU Fan and Power Targets set to maximum. 

====================================

Test.                          FPS

Crossfire off.            53.1

Crossfire on.            69.2

Crossfire Scaling     1.30

I am not overclocking either of the Nanos at the moment because I have to verify they are o.k. following purchase.

I have a "Window" to return them if they fail, on condition I do not drive the GPU clocks beyond stock setting.

The scaling for the Division I achieved with Crossfire last time I checked the Division
                          was in the range of (1.35 - 1.40) with my Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB / R9 280x OC 3GB cards.

But for those cards I was overclocking the  GPU Clocks and Memory to the very edge of stable operation.

The scaling factor went up the more I overclocked up to my final overclock  levels for those cards.

I would obviously like to see better Crossfire Scaling than this on "The Division" of course.

However compared to how Crossfire was behaving on this game at launch, this is a massive improvement.

One point to note. The  Total CPU Utilization Use on my System (i74770K) is getting rather high (90-95%) during the benchmark.

I think this game is very heavy on CPU resources. The Division reported Benchmark CPU% does not reflect the total CPU Utilization that I see.

I have managed to see 100% CPU Utilization in game with my Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB / R9 280x OC 3GB cards in the past.
                          I will now go back and run some in game testing and report back if I see any flicker.

I will look at The Witcher 3 and then Battlefield1 next.

Cheers,

colesdav.

colesdav

BF1 tested on Windows 8.1 64 bit with Radeon Software Version 16.11.5

i74770K and a pair of R9 Nano's in Crossfire.

I was unable to enable crossfire no matter what I tried. Second Nano disabled.

I tried.

AFR Friendly

Optimize 1x1

AFR Compatible and ...

AMD Pre-defined profile.

In every case, second GPU is disabled.

There is nothing wrong with my Crossfire or driver installation or PC.

I just completed testing Warframe, SkyrimSE, Witcher 3 and they all allow Crossfire enable using AFR Friendly.

Just to point out the Default and AMD Pre-defined profile turns off Crossfire in Skyrim SE and Witcher 3 and Warframe as well.

I report lack of Crossfire in BF1 to AMD.

pingolino

Works in dx11. EA and Dice decided to turn off crossfire in dx12 because of

bug issues in beta testing. Nothing to do with AMD

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  colesdav

Hi,

Thanks for the reply again.

I am running Windows 8.1 and it is only DX11. Crossfire is definitely not working for me on Windows 8.1.

There is no User Menu I can see to select between DX11/DX12 on the Windows 8.1 install.

Also I did try earlier Beta Battlefield 1 (I was on the Beta Testing) and I was able to run Crossfire during the Beta on Windows 8.1, but it did noit scale well and flickered.

I will try Windows 10 to see what happens next.

Thanks again.

colesdav

To expand on "There is no User Menu I can see to select between DX11/DX12 on the Windows 8.1 install."

I wouldn't expect there to be such a menu for Windows 8.1, as it doesn't support DX12.

I was just thinking that maybe the choice was left in the menu system somewhere and stuck on DX12 and that might be why I cannot get crossfire to run.

In other words it might be a BF1 bug preventing Crossfire to run.

pingolino

I am not sure about windows 8.1, I run windows 10. And yes, you should get

windows 10 as its a much better OS than windows 8.1, just for that very

reason you should do it, bar other stuff.

As I have seen for myself in BF1, when i switch between DX12 and DX11,

crossfire stops/starts working. I've read about this on the forum and the

developers/community stated that this was done due to major flickering and

bugs of running crossfire in DX12 mode (also NVIDIA - SLI. Dont work for

them either).

So, there is no point for you to go any further on this point. Its not

going to be possible for you to 'force' it on.

colesdav

Hello,

For the following:  Radeon Software Version 16.12.1

CPU = i74770K and two R9 Nanos in Crossfire.

I have tested Battlefield 1 Single Player Campaign for all Crossfire Profiles (Default, AFR Firendly, Optimize 1x1, AFR Compatable, AMD Pre-defined Profile).

I tested the the following OS's.

Windows 8.1 64bit.

Windows 10  64bit.

Crossfire is completely disabled in this game with the latest Radeon Drivers, for the two most Recent Windows OS. 

I had a tried look at at DX12 versus DX11 performance in Windows 10. No MultiGPU option and No real different FPS. The performance was ~ the same.

1 R9 Nano cannot keep over 60 FPS in BF 1 on Ultra.

It needs Crossfire.

I will look at Windows 7 with BF1 but don't hold your breath.
                                    I will report back to this thread,

Hope this helps.

FYI I did test the BF1 Beta with a pair of HD7970/R9280x in Crossfire and at least The AMD Pre-defined Crossfire enabled. There was some minor flicker with some settings and the Scaling was not correct.

Looks like they have disabled Crossfire completely on BF1 for now.

Only option left is to get a response from AMD / DICE somehow.

Cheers.