1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 9:11 AM by kahless_uk

Is it normal that some colors appear grainy as if through a mosquito net?

sayoko3

Hi. I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad 110-15acl with AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics and AMD Radeon(TM) M430.

Some colors, mostly the medium-bright ones like yellow (think The-Simpsons-kind-of yellow) and light blue (theTwitter/Explorer-kind-of-blue) appear a bit grainy, as if seen through a mosquito net. Basically, inside certain monochrome areas you can see there are lighter points, but mostly it's a grid/mesh effect.

Most colors are fine, but still, it's VERY annoying, especially considering I have less expensive laptops that don't have this issue.

I tried to alter the screen brightness and also tinkered with the advanced settings in the AMD Catalyst Control Center (-> Desktop Color), but the problem remains.

Is there a way to fix this, or I just have to return the laptop? Thanks.

AMD Radeon(TM) R5

• Re: Is it normal that some colors appear grainy as if through a mosquito net?
          kahless_uk

Sounds like dithering, a method of drawing more colours than you can actually draw by combining groups of pixels of one colour with groups of another to create the appearance of a solid colour.

Most LCD and Plasma screens do this but PC monitors shouldn't, they should have full 8bit RGB colour at least (RGB 4:4:4 as in each pixel should be able to produce 256 unique shades of colour for each RBG subpixel).

It's possible that as it's a laptop they've skimped a bit on the panel to save costs, I can't find any technical specs for it except that it's listed as 1366x768 TN (Twisted Nematic) which would mean it should have a good to great pixel response time but pay for that with a narrower viewing angle and smaller colour gamut (typically between 70 and 80% of NTSC).

Try having a look at some of the test images here LCD monitor test images to see if you can spot the same effect and if so which colours are doing it and if you can mitigate it with contrast/brightness settings (which you often can as it's usually the darker end of the spectrum where dithering occurs). You could also try contacting Lenovo's tech support to see if they have a proper colour profile or even a monitor driver that should be installed or if there's a setting that's incorrect somewhere.

Good luck

1 of 1 people found this helpful