19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 10:17 AM by ejaz_tariq

R9 295X2 Crossfire and Performance issues

ejaz_tariq

Its been more then a year i have been using this card.it worked fine no issues at all if their where bugs and performance issues in nvidia supported games they where fixed later in an update.Its been like 2-3 months or more since new drivers rolled in and my card perfomace is worst in forza i didnt even reach 60 fps with even msa off 1366x768 while Rx 480 was running it fine at 1080p with 60 fps i also tryed 1080p but it got worst and fps droped even more.the problem started from Aug 2016 i updated my gpu drivers since then my cs go is lagging from stable 300+ fps it doesnt even give me 120 fps now the fps is continuously random from 60 - 100 then 40 its unstable as for dota 2 it is jumping from 180 - 110 fps and new games are lagging alot on high settings even if i lower my settings the fps problem still is there even in cs go i tryed every thing even reinstalled windows the problem still is there it really burns to see 200 $ card beating a 1500$ and yes i even rolled back to old driver but the problem was there now after new windows i got the latest amd driver 16.10.2 when i play Civilization Vi at 30 fps 1366x768 its even worst on 1080 p same fps i cant even play at 1366x768 and i bought this card for 4k all my money has been gone to waste i cant even play new games now a cheap end budget card is getting more fps then mine people where right that amd is bad with their driver and their crossfire support is ... its proven if you cant fix your drivers tell me and i will scrap this piece of ... and buy some nvidia card atleast they have better graphic card drivers  this isnt the first time iam having this issue i also had driver issues with hd 4850, hd 6790 and yh before gta 5 also ran fine now it lags also

PC SPECS
      Intel i7 5960x
      R9 295x2
      32GB DDR4 Ram

Asus Rampage V Extreme

• Re: R9 295X2 Crossfire and Performance issues
          amdmatt

Is that Forza Horizon 3? I have a R9 295x2 so i can do some testing to see if this is a global issue or one local to your system.

In order to help troubleshoot, it would be useful if you could follow the guide i wrote on Guru3D in order to setup an onscreen display overlay using MSI Afterburner. Check out the Advanced Section of the guide here. Is My CrossFire Setup Working Correctly? [Basic/Advanced Guide] - Guru3D.com Forums

Are you running games in exclusive fullscreen mode?

How many displays are you running? Please provide more information about your system config and settings used.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

ejaz_tariq

Yes,it was forza horizon 3 but i refunded it because of the performance issues and bugs in the game.As for the CF logo i enabled it now i can see it in game ( cs go ) but my fps is still low from 120-220 and the fps is unstable.I am only running one display which is 32" Led Samsung max resolution 1366x768 at 60 Hz,Os is windows 10 pro 64 bit and yes i run all games in full screen mode.i also have finished setting up the Msi afterburner now what should i do next maybe you can run cs go on your 295x2 and tell me the results.

PC SPECS
              Intel i7 5960x
              R9 295x2
              32GB DDR4 Ram

Asus Rampage V Extreme
              Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
              Single Display on HDMI 1366x768 60 Hz

amdmatt

I don't have CS:GO to test, but i know that the game is very CPU limited, especially when playing multiplayer so you will see drops like that as the CPU becomes the limitation. This is magnified by playing at a low resolution. You can test this yourself with the overlay. Monitor GPU usage, my guess is it will be quite low due to the limitation. You might just be better off disabling CrossFire for this particular game.

Regarding Forza Horizon 3, CrossFire was not supported on this title as Microsoft using encryption on their game executables which means our driver cannot read the file.

ejaz_tariq

Before Aug update the game ran fine with locked 300 fps never got any kind of lag after the update the fps is unstable after i disabled the CF the fps was the same but the shutter and spikes are really big the fps from 150 drops to below 60 more now and the game stops for like 1 sec or less with cf on i do get low fps and fps drops but there is no lag even if it drops i will check the Cpu usage with the Msi after burner and update you with the results

ejaz_tariq

And i also get low fps in dota 2 150-180 is the normal fps i get so the issue is Source games only the newer ones old source games also run fine dota 2 runs fine but is giving low fps compared to my pc and the latest problem i have is my gpu drivers crash sometimes in Cs go Dota 2 or civilization.In dota 2 the game just gets stuck with the audio running in the background i have to use task manager to close it yestarday cs go got stuck 2 but it resumed after 6 or 7 secs and for the civilization the screens goes RED and the Pc restarts it self.

amdmatt

GPU usage is what you want to check, if it's low that could indicate a CPU limitation.

What are other games like?

ejaz_tariq

Dota 2 low fps if you look at my pc's specs and the game it self i get 140-180 med end pcs getting like 200 above and the latest problem i have is my gpu drivers crash sometimes in Cs go Dota 2 or civilization vi.In dota 2 the game just gets stuck with the audio running in the background i have to use task manager to close it yestarday cs go got stuck 2 but it resumed after 6 or 7 secs and in civilization vi the screens goes RED and the Pc restarts it self.

ejaz_tariq

So i checked out the usage by playing Cs go and i got these results

GPU1                                                                                            GPU2

Usage:Avg 66% Max 70%                   

Temp: Min 50'c Avg 53'c Max 54'c                                               Min 50'c Avg 51'c Max 53'c          

Clock: Min 998 Avg 1000 Max 1018                                             Min 300 Mhz Avg 300 Mhz Max 300 Mhz

Mem:1250 Mhz/824 Mhz                                                              150 Mhz

GRam:Avg 5810 MB/8154 MB Max 6286 MB/8154 MB

CPU

Usage:Min 15% Avg 17% Max 18%

Temp:Min 40'c Avg 42'c Max 43'c

FPS

123.7 Min

137.4 Max

amdmatt

Which August update the game ran at 300 fps?

Can you download Unigine Heaven and complete a benchmarking run so i can check your score? Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 Windows Download

Is your system overclocked at all? A Red screen usually points towards hardware instability with either the CPU or memory in my experience.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      ejaz_tariq

Cs Go got massive updates in August after updating the game i never got 300 fps but before the game was updated i use to get 300 + fps and that red screen issue is only coming Civilization Vi i didnt get red screen on any other game i use to get red or some other screen issue before on gta but that was fixed when i updated my GPU drivers and my pc isnt overclocked  

ejaz_tariq

file:///C:/Users/EJAZT/Desktop/Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_4.0_20161027_1327.html

ejaz_tariq

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet  sorry about that previous link it was a mistake

catchabreak

my RX 480 running at same res, doesn't look to be much wrong with your card as far I can see,

Heaven.jpg

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 Release Notes

Article Number: RN-WIN-RADEONCRIMSON16.9.2

ContentMain1

Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD's revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience. Every Radeon Software release strives to deliver new features, better performance and stability improvements.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 Highlights

Support For:

• Forza Horizon 3™

New AMD CrossFire profile added for DirectX® 11:

• Dreadnought

Fixed Issues

• Intermittent mouse cursor corruption may be experienced on some Radeon RX 400 Series graphics products.
                                                • Flickering display may be experienced on portrait Eyefinity display configurations when launching or exiting DirectX®12 applications.
                                                • Ashes of the Singularity™ may experience an application crash when Multi-GPU is enabled in DirectX®12.
                                                • Upgrading from a previous Radeon Software Crimson Edition version may cause user settings in Radeon Settings to reset to defaults.
                                                • Intermittent crash may be experienced in Mozilla Firefox while doing video playback on some Radeon RX 400 Series graphics products.
                                                • Radeon Settings may sometimes experience an "application has stopped" error after modifying game profiles on Windows 10 Anniversary Addition.
                                                • A small amount of corruption may be experienced in the lower right hand corner of the display on some Radeon HD 7000 series products when playing Deus Ex™: Mankind Divided.
                                                • Small amounts of stutter may be experienced when playing or watching cinematic videos in Deus Ex™: Mankind Divided when using AMD CrossFire mode and DirectX®11.
                                                • HDMI® Audio may be lost after resuming from standby on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.
                                                • Flickering may be experienced in Rocket League on Radeon RX 400 Series graphics products when running in AMD CrossFire mode.

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch, experience performance issues or crash if the third party application "Raptr" has its game overlay enabled. A workaround is to disable the overlay if this is experienced.
                                                • Counter-Strike™: Global Offensive may experience intermittent stutter on Radeon R9 380 Series graphics products in AMD CrossFire mode.
                                                • Rise of the Tomb Raider may experience an application crash when changing the resolution from in-game menus when running DirectX®12. Users can restart the game to complete the resolution change.
                                                • OpenCL™ version information may display incorrectly or may display random characters in Radeon Settings.
                                                • Radeon RX 460 may fail to resume from sleep mode and require a system restart when connected through AMD XConnect™ Technology.
                                                • While using or having Radeon WattMan open in Radeon Settings while in AMD CrossFire mode, the secondary/slave GPU clocks will increase to their highest state.
                                                • Overwatch™ may experience flickering character models while in the hero selection menu or during gameplay in AMD Crossfire mode.
                                                • Paragon may experience flickering while using AMD FreeSync technology and AMD CrossFire mode in conjunction.
                                                • Dreadnought™ may experience minor flickering in game menus or gameplay while using AMD FreeSync technology.

Package Contents

The Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 Driver Version 16.40.2311

Installing Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2

For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install Radeon Software Crimson Edition, please refer to the following support resources:

NOTE:

This driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.When installing Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 for the Windows® operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator, or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2.Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to be installed.Radeon Product Compatibility

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.Note that AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury, Radeon™ Pro Duo, and Radeon™ RX 400 Series graphics are only supported by Radeon Software Crimson Edition on Windows 7/8.1/10 64-bit.

Radeon Desktop Product Family Compatibility
                                              Radeon™ RX 400 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ Pro DuoAMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R5 300 Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R5 200 Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ HD 8500 - HD 8900 Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics

Mobility Radeon™ Family Compatibility

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 is a notebook reference graphics driver with limited support for system vendor specific features.

Radeon Mobility Product Family Compatibility
                                              AMD Radeon™ R9 M300 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R7 M200 Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ R7 M300 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ R5 M300 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ HD 8500M - HD 8900M Series Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ R9 M200 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ HD 7700M - HD 7900M Series Graphics

AMD APU Product Family Compatibility
                                              AMD APU products codenamed "Kaveri", "Godavari" and "Carrizo" are only supported by AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition on Windows® 7 (32 & 64-bit), Windows® 8.1 (64-bit) and Windows® 10 (64-bit).
                                              AMD’s 7th Generation APU products Radeon™ Graphics are only supported by AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition on Windows® 7 (32 & 64-bit) and Windows® 10 (64-bit).

AMD APU Product Family Compatibility
                                              DesktopMobile
                                              AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R4, R5, R6, or R7 GraphicsAMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, or R8 Graphics
                                              AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5 or R7 GraphicsAMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5, R6, or R7 Graphics
                                              AMD Athlon™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 GraphicsAMD FX-Series APUs with Radeon™ R7 Graphics
                                              AMD Sempron™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 GraphicsAMD E-Series APUs with Radeon™ R2 Graphics
                                              AMD Radeon™ HD 8180 - HD 8400 Series Graphics

Compatible Operating Systems

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 is designed to support the following Microsoft® Windows® platforms. Operating System support may vary depending on your specific AMD Radeon product.

• Windows® 10 (32 & 64-bit version)
                                                • Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit version)
                                                • Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)

AMD Issue Reporting Form

This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Issue Reporting Form. To provide us with your feedback, visit the AMD Issue Reporting Form.