4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2017 7:10 AM by edolights

Freesync Issue

edolights

Hello,

I am encountering a weird Freesync issue. I have a Sapphire R7 360 Nitro with 2 GB and an LG Gaming Monitor 22mp68vq-p.
      The two are connected using a Gembird cable (Displayport in the video card and HDMI in the monitor).

I activate the Freesync in the monitor menu and also in AMD Crimson 16.10.1 (which is the latest).

I can play normally, everything works well. However, if I leave the Freesync ON and restart or shutdown my computer, the next time I turn it on, or the next time it starts,

the computer screen remains BLACK. Nothing loads, Bios does not load anymore, windows does not boot, keyboard is shut and there's no light under the mouse, SSD will not load, no LEDs will be on (except for the computer being powered on of course).

The Moment I change the cables (dvi in the video card and hdmi in the monitor) that's the moment it will start. It is not an issue with the monitor (I guess) because I can unplug it, and the computer will still be dead and nothing will move. The moment I add a different cable in the Video Card, that's the moment it will start loading the bios and booting into the windows.

Other than this, if I disable Freesync in windows before shutting down the PC, then there's no problem. It does not annoy me that much, but I thought it would be a good idea to report it and maybe find a solution or at least an explanation.

Thank you

• Re: Freesync Issue
          black_zion

I'd suggest talking to both LG and Sapphire.

voodoo5

Hey - same issue here with Asus R9 380 & LG 24mp68vq-p monitor. Seems like LG is the common denominator.

With freesync on (hdmi only), VGA_LED is solid red on cold boot. Need to plug dvi cable (disables freesync), reboot.

edolights

Hey! thank you for your message. Now we know what the issue is.
                Just a tip - after a lot of trial and error I've discovered that it's enough to remove the cable from the display port - then start the computer, leave it for like 15 seconds to boot into windows, then put the cable back into the display port. This gets rid of swapping the cables.
                Btw, I've reformatted the computer, reinstalled drivers (both video card and monitor) to no avail:(
                I'll be contacting the LG support soon and keep this post updated.

edolights

Hello! I think I've solved the issue with Freesync. After speaking to the guys from LG from UK and not being of any help (they asked me to replace the cable which is not the cheapest alternative), I noticed that on the monitor, SMART ENERGY SAVING was ON (low priority). I simply switched it off, turned FREESYNC on and now I can simply restart/shut down the PC, and it will still boot and everything's ok!