30 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 6:43 PM by n0rberto

Updating the driver on HD8250

edam

Either by updating the driver in the device manager or using the autodetect tool makes the laptop very SLOOOOOOOW. I have had to reinstall windows each time to get the laptop working again.

The reason I want to update is that Ntskrnl is using up to 30%of CPU

• Re: Updating the driver on HD8250
            edam

All I can say is that its a Acer Aspire V5-122p laptop with a AMD A6-1450 and 4 gb of ram.

I cant get any further information as I have tried to update again so its screwed up until I reload windows

edam

Also the driver that the autodetect tool installed was 21.19.137.1 which has caused the system to slow down again . I have managed to uninstall the driver rather than reinstalling windows

kingfish

It would be nice if you mentioned what OS you have....I will have to assume Win10 64. These are the correct drivers for your laptop > (full version) APU

Here's how to install them > The specified item was not found.

Here's how to prevent Microsoft from changing the graphics drivers > Windows 10 Forums

Delete the contents of C:/AMD.

How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

edam

I think I have tried everything including using the DDU app but every time I install the driver the laptop  becomes virtually unresponsive.

The DDU app does install the Microsoft adapter which is pretty clunky but at least the CPU is only running at 1% on idle.

Any other ideas

PS

Sorry . The OS is Win 10 64

n0rberto

Hi everyone,
                          I have a same issue with my Acer Aspire V5 122p. Since the Microsoft rolled out their new update called "Anniversary update" my little computer completely useless.
                          Extremely slow, lagging, takes 1-2min to open startmenu.. crazy!
                          In the meantime I have reinstalled the latest Win 10 64bit, removed all VGA driver Microsoft, AMD Crimson  by DDu app.

Without any VGA driver  my computer runs ok.
                          Installed earlier versions of Crimson the issue was exist every time so this is VGA driver issue for sure or the new Win10 build does not support something

kingfish I will try step by step you have suggested.. will report later if any succes.

edegraaff

Since the latest updates of Windows 10 Home anniversary update the lock due the registry hack is detected by the "fix problems with your computer" but recently i got again and again the new drivers pushed again by microsoft, and the result , impossible not usable notebook. The only way to fix :  old school safe mode, delete driver and files, plug and play Microsoft generic driver. Then it works again.

Thsi is a real issue! since this summer the latest AMD driver is not performing anymore, seems Microsoft adopted the divers from Mai this year, the old drivers did perform and work ok.

i have screenshots that prove the registry hack is seen by the os but ignored in the update process.

n0rberto

Unfortunately no success, I have reinstalled 4th times from scratch still lagging and freezing on Win 10 version 1607.
                      The issue occur when AMD drivers get installed. Removing them working fine until the next startup when windows automatically install a driver.
                      Even If I have set up no automatic driver install setting on.
                      Just spotted now According Acer the V5 Aspire 122p not supported by Win10 Anniversary update?
                      At least not on this list : Windows 10 Update
                      This is nonsense!
                      Rolling back now to Win8.1 to testing it...

edam

At present I am blocking windows update by setting my wi fi to a metered connection and using a version 15 driver which seems to be stable

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              edegraaff

Seems blocking the updates by using metering is the only way to get the wrong drivers stay off your computer.

If possible (and i am willing to help with debug loggs and so on) we need to get a proper solution since with the latest win 10 home edition, we are not longer in control over our computer and our drivers. This is getting a serious issue, during a support moment to one of my clients, my computer updated the drivers again, and i had to reboot, fix that driver again, and then i could continue delivering the support. This is to big to accept as a simple incident. I hope AMD could help here..i sill support where i can.

chemguy

For all Acer V5-122p users, particularly @edam, @N0berto. 

I had the same trouble with my Acer V5-122p and posted on both the Acer and AMD forums.  Someone on the Acer forum gave and answer that worked.  It was aa different driver for another Acer model.  I clean reinstalled Win 10 one last time and installed the driver from Acer Aspire E5-521 for the Radeon HD 8250 ver 15.200.1060.0 .  Now my computer works fine and I have Windows Anniversary Edition. Follow the instructions from Graham_Anderson on this page:

Acer Aspire V5-122P-0679 freezes on Windows 10 160... - Acer Community - 464234

AMD needs to tell Windows that any driver above this version causes slow downs and crashes and to stop updating past it. 

I hope that helps, it helped me.

n0rberto

I had the same trouble with my Acer V5-122p and posted on both the Acer and AMD forums.  Someone on the Acer forum gave and answer that worked.  It was aa different driver for another Acer model.  I clean reinstalled Win 10 one last time and installed the driver from Acer Aspire E5-521 for the Radeon HD 8250 ver 15.200.1060.0 .  Now my computer works fine and I have Windows Anniversary Edition.

I can confirm that, this solution is working even with Win 10 v.1607 (Anniversary Edition).
                                    I have followed as suggested and it is working.

The system is stable again after a long period. Hurrah!
                                    Thanks  a mill. for that!

tvVZ.gif

danslb

Yes the driver worked for me. Thanks! However I still get the new faulty drivers pushed on me regularly even though I have driver updates turned off. Apparently this is a Windows 10 problem that some users are having. Now to find a way to circumvent it...

chemguy

I have the same problem. I updated to win 10 ver1607 earlier this month and it has been a pain ever since.  I have a Acer Aspire V5-122P also with AMD Radeon HD8250 graphics chip.  I really liked the Aspire until this month. I have reinstalled and reset windows numerous times.  I have installed many versions of the driver but they auto update to ver 21.19.137.1.  This version does not recognize the video output, it bogs down the system so that the System task is between 25-40%.  The thing is that I know I'd it all software/driver related.  I just want a fix for it, from either Microsoft or AMD.  Is this happening with other computer makers that used the Radeon HD 8250?

Any solutions to this problem would be gladly accepted.

Thanks,

Chemguy

n0rberto
                                    Rolling back now to Win8.1 to testing it...

Guys! Same issue on Win 8.1
                                    Installing the latest APU for Radeon 8250 on Acer V5 122P generating the same issue.. just hoping someone at AMD read these articles.

buster

AMD needs to either fix the 16.x.x.driver so it works with the 8250HD or remove the 8250HD compatibility. The Latest Driver that works with the 8250HD is the

AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta Driver for Windows

Windows update is screwing up the V5-122P so AMD needs to either pull that driver from Microsoft Update or fix it. This driver problem has been going on since February 2016 and needs to be addressed.

timre

I tried this solution but this creates other problems

After the restart and login explorer.exe crashes every 2 seconds

The same problem also with

I used Amdcleanup everytime.

Only the basic vga driver works but windows update is not stoppable .

Incredible that AMD not present a solution.

What they do?

edam

In my attempt to find a answer I have had to use the recovery system to re install windows but this has failed.

I believe the driver has been installed with the rest of windows 10  so slowing down the recovery.

Its stuck on the boot screen but I can hear the disc drive running so it may power up eventually.

Up the creak without a paddle

craig_wa

My daughter has the same laptop and has the same problem.  I reformatted the machine and did a clean install to try to figure out what was wrong. the machine would take 10-20 minutes to boot and was so slow it often appear to hang after booting.  the System process was showing about 30% CPU utilization but the machine was unusable. i disabled all the drivers one at a time until i determined it was the video driver.

As a temporary workaround I disabled the video driver (in the device manager).  this makes the machine usable but you lose the benefits of the graphics card.

danslb

Hello all,

My wife's Aspire V5-122p has been suffering from the same problem since the latest update (WIN10 64bit). Since it was not my laptop, and she is not very tech savvy, we both thought the freezing and slow performance started randomly. After testing all the hardware and even putting in an SSD and a fresh copy of WIN10 from the media creation, I finally leveled the problem down to the Radeon HD8250 drivers. I've been having the same fight with the automatic update of the driver after removing the AMD driver (the generic driver works well and the laptop is finally quick and smooth with the new SSD). I ran DDU, disabled driver updates using the registry hack mentioned above and also through system option. So far it seems to have been holding off the automatic driver update but I´m not crossing my fingers since the experiences above suggest otherwise.

Microsoft needs to include a working option for disabling driver updates, and it would be helpful and logical to be able to choose what devices you want to update automatically.

AMD needs to work with MS to make sure that the drivers being pushed by WIN10 work properly. I suppose they cant just remove the drivers from the servers that MS uses to push them from, this would affect all the other AMD users who need the updates.

Maybe another option would be to MS to put a temporary fix/update for WIN10, excluding the driver push if the Radeon HD8250 is detected.

To be honest, I am disappointed with AMD. My own laptop is running AMD  Dual Graphics combination between the discreet HD 8750M + HD8650G (inside the APU). AMD dropped support for the HD8650G in Crimson. Still, each time there is an update, windows pushes the latest drivers on me, which cause my system to crash and I have to roll back to the old drivers before things are working properly again. (I need to use CCC).

AMD have cut some corners here, whether it is a bad implementation of their drivers or WIN10 itself that is not being tuned to work properly with the AMD drivers, it seems like AMD customers are ending up with a broken product.

edam

I do think that this driver update is sitting in a windows update file waiting to pounce,

How can it be cleared out?

I don't think DDU clears windows update files

danslb

As Kingfisher suggested, I removed "C:\AMD".  So far it seems to be

working. I recall working a problem related to not getting WIN8.1 to update

to WIN10. I don't remember the specifics, but MS has a tool to wipe the

update manager contents and reset it.

edam

Will the latest driver 16.12.1 work on the Acer v5 -122p HD8250., the autodetect tool says its the right driver, and is this the driver that Windows Update will try to install.

n0rberto

Good news.
                                                      Installed and tested with the latest Crimson v.16.12.2 driver the issue not exist anymore.

My system runs perfectly.
                                                      AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 16.12.2 driver download Jan 9 WHQL Release