9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 1:10 AM by amdmatt

FIX FOR Crimson GPU 16.5.2-16.10.3 "Please Wait" Long Delay in Boot Issue on Windows 7

eidairaman1

I'm new to the forums but I have been a long time user of ATi/AMD products- since the Radeon 9700 Pro and the AMD Athlon XP was King.

Well I wanted to ask, is anyone else that is using Windows 7 Pro 64bit having a problem with a "Please Wait" prompt/event on the Welcome Screen that pauses for like 8-15 seconds before "Welcome" appears and then desktop appears? This seems to be a ongoing issue with Crimson Since the 16.5 Releases all the way to now with the 16.10.1 Drivers. This issue is not present using Crimson 16.4.2 or older- as the OS goes right to "Welcome" without a pause and then right to desktop.

This is duplicated with a fresh operating system install that is updated with the most current OS patches and chipset drivers despite AMD not having updated them since 2015.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a tweak we can do ourselves to the driver or that I'm just going to have to use 16.4.2 from here on out.

Thank You

My Specs are as follows even though I doubt they affect anything pertaining to this driver issue.

AMD FX 8350 CPU

Asus Sabertooth R2.0

16GB Gskill 2133 RAM

Sapphire R9 290 VaporX

Seasonic X1250 PSU

Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Pioneer 209 BDXL drives

UPDATE: The External Events Viewer/External Events Utility is the cause of the slow boot in Windows 7 for Drivers after 16.4.2. Run services.msc and disable AMD External Event Utility.

https://community.amd.com/message/2755263#comment-2755263

UPDATE 10/29/2016

I found the solution to the "Please Wait" boot issue that has been ticking me off since May 16.5.2 drivers all the way to 16.10.3 drivers now under Windows 7. Make sure to grab Crimson 16.4.2 drivers. start the install but let the driver extract itself but cancel the install, leave the directory for 16.4.2 in the AMD folder. Do a system restore point. Go do your normal driver uninstall. Install the Crimson driver set you want, say 16.10.1s or even 16.3.1s etc. Under 7 you might get "Please Wait" at boot; well here's the kicker, the file that controls AMD External Events Utility or AMD External Events Viewer under services.msc is called atiesrxx.exe which is found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Copy that file and put it else where as a backup in regard to the driver version installed. Reboot into safemode then go to file path C:\AMD\Radeon-Crimson-16.4.2-With-DOTNet45-Win7-64Bit\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\B301660 and find file atiesrxx.ex_  (underscore), copy it to the Windows\System32 folder, then change atiesrxx.ex_ to atiesrxx.exe and then reboot. The "Please Wait" issue should be gone. AMD changed something in that file as of 16.5.2s or newer drivers.