Stuttering sound and video [AMD FX 8350]

efes

Hello Community,

Couple of weeks ago I built my PC. Its specs:

AMD FX 8350 on ASUS M5A97 R 2.0

Geforce GTX 970

8 Gb RAM

Windows 10 64-bit

Since recently, I started having issues with sound. I first heared that while listening to music on YouTube. Sound stuttered for less than a second from time to time. I had the same issues on my earlier PC (also using AMD FX CPU) and I couldn't solve it. It is not a problem of background activity because I purposely don't open anything else than a browser. I tested in on Firefox and Edge and the problem persists. However, after some time of struggle, it seemed that everything was fine when I successfully reinstalled Nvidia HD Sound Driver.

Unfortunately, two days later, problems returned. What's more, I tried playing some demanding games on ultra quality. Moments later the sound was stuttering terribly and this time it was followed by stuttering video. Lagging didn't last more than a second but it was repeating at a very high rate. After quitting the game YouTube was running almost as badly. After a while and restarting the PC, it got better. It seems to me that some of my hardware is probably taking too much on that ultra quality (not in every game, however) and I thought it could be the CPU as the fan works terribly loud during the game.

Could it be the case? What is your advice? What should I check or do to prevent that from happening?

• Re: Stuttering sound and video [AMD FX 8350]
          ray_m

Since you say the problem resolved itself when you reinstalled the Nvidia sound driver, it would be a problem with that device. I would suggest you seek help on the Nvidia forums.

arcticwind

If you have had the same issue on two different computers...

Could to be your network?  How is the IP traffic when this is happening?

Are you using current antivirus and anti-malware software? (viruses infect the computer) (Malware infects the web browser)

efes

Ok, so the roots of the problem are, at least to some extent, discovered. I searched the Internet all over and finally stumbled upon DPC latency issues.

I used DPC Latency Checker to verify whether my PC is having some latency problems and it reassured me that I had.

Then I used Latency Mon for further investigation. I found out that there's one driver having extreme latency issues (with the highest execution time over 86 ms): ndis.sys. It's a WLAN related thing and I could confirm that by switching off my WLAN adapter. Without the adapter working, no latency issues or stuttering ocurred.

Moreover, I can now tell that Internet speed is another problem. It seems that if I put my router far enough from the adapter (that is around a meter away), ndis.sys latency drops to an acceptable level, but the Internet connection is usually worse too. Even if not, why do I have to put the router further to make the audio run properly?

I reinstalled drivers of the WLAN adapter several times with no effect. I tried older ones from the CD included in the adapter box, as well as the newest drivers from ASUS website. It's a PCI-E N-10 model.

If anyone would like to help or knows something about this kind of issues appearing on Win 10, I'll be glad to hear your pieces of advice.