5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 12:37 AM by ankitkumarkhanna

My pretty good laptop runs my games slowly...

jr94643

NOTE: This is the first thing I have ever put on this website and I don't know if there is a certain section to put this forum, or whatever you guys call it on here.

So I've started to use my laptop quite a bit more and I've started purchasing new games like CSGO and Rocket League. I've noticed that my laptop doesn't really run them too well even though my specs are actually pretty good. Here are my specs (yes I just copied and pasted):

Processor: AMD A10-7300 Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, 1900 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

Graphics Card: Primary Adapter: -AMD Radeon R6 R6 Graphics Linked Adapter: -AMD Radeon R7 M265

I don't know the difference between Primary Adapter and Linked Adapter so if someone could help that would be awesome.

So, at the moment my main focus is to make a game called 'Dirty Bomb' run at a solid 30-60fps with out dropping or having lag spikes. I do get a good average of atleast 20fps but it sometimes has some lag spikes, and especially when there is an explosion in the game.

Obviously using a laptop powered by AMD, I have access to the AMD Catalyst Control Centre. I have changed things around to help me run my games faster, like my power saving settings and my 3D applications settings.

After looking around for a while I found that there should be a Performance tab on the side. My Catalyst has every tab but it. I'd like to work around the 'frequencies', as the guy I watched called them, to help run my game smoother.

So here are the main questions I'm asking... 1. Why does my good spec laptop run my games slow? 2. What settings should I change in my Catalyst to allow better performance/fps? and finally 3. How do I get that performance tab in my Catalyst?

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

• Re: My pretty good laptop runs my games slowly...
          catchabreak

What you have in your laptop is an apu, this is a cpu with  graphics built in "Radeon R6", You also have a separate graphics card "R7 M265". You can use the apu for graphics or gpu for graphics, now you can also run them together to get a better performance. here's an over view from AMD

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/dual-graphics. Look in FAQ will give you answers to most of your questions. A lot of apu`s have been dropped from AMD`s driver updates and trying to install newer Crimson drivers breaks the graphics.   use auto detect on AMD website, this will ensure you get the correct driver, here's a link  Download Drivers. If you gone through all this and are still having problems pop back and send a reply to  your original question

If you look through the forum you will find people with  similar issues and perhaps ways they solved them

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              jr94643

Thank you so much, I'm going to look at this tonight and see how much of a difference it will make. Also thanks for being the first reply and giving me the correct information about my laptop... thanks you!

jr94643

So I have installed my new AMD driver and everything seems to be fine... except I no longer have the AMD catalyst control centre but I only have radeon settings.

I don't have an option for Crossfire or AMD Dyak graphics anywhere...

So here are my questions:

1. What happened to AMD Catalyst Control Centre and 2. How do I enable AMD Dual Graphics?

thanks again...

catchabreak

Radeon settings is the new driver interface replacing the original Catalyst Control Centre and overdrive. Take your time and explore the different settings. There's quite a number of different folders to look through, defaults should be fine for all the settings unless you want to change graphic settings.

All this info is available via the link I left In last message

Any more information I would just be mimicking this page.

Q1: What is AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics?

A1: AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics is an innovative technology exclusive to AMD platforms that allows AMD APUs and select AMD Radeon™ discrete GPUs to work together. When combined, the platform delivers stunning quality and performance capabilities that are better than either device alone.

Q2: How do I know my AMD Radeon™ Graphics card is capable of supporting AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics?

A2: Go to     http://www.amd.com/dualgraphics and review the Notebook and Desktop tabs to see the recommended discrete graphics card pairings for your APU.

Q3: I just bought an AMD Radeon™ graphics card. How do I configure my PC to take advantage of AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics?

A3: To take advantage of AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics, you must use a compatible AMD A-Series APU to pair with your supported AMD Radeon™  graphics card. After installation of your graphics card, visit the AMD Graphics Drivers and Software Page, to download and install the latest AMD graphics drivers. After driver installation, the option to enable AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics should become available in the AMD Catalyst Control Center or the Radeon Settings page in Radeon Software Crimson Edition.

Once installed, go into the “Performance” section of the AMD Catalyst Control Center or go to the “Gaming, Global Options” tab in Radeon Settings and toggle the AMD Crossfire™ technology option to “On” or “Enable Crossfire™”. This will allow the AMD A-Series APU graphics to work in tandem with the select AMD Radeon™ GPU installed for increased graphics performance.

Q4: Where do I plug my monitor in to get the best performance when using AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics technology?

A4: For best performance, AMD recommends plugging the display into your fastest GPU. This will ensure that even applications that do not take advantage of AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics will still be able to run on the faster graphics card in your system. We recommend that you plug your monitor into the AMD Radeon™ GPU with the higher model number. If that is your APU, plug into the motherboard, if it is your discrete graphics card, plug into that.

Q5: Why doesn’t my game run faster on AMD Dual Graphics?

A5: AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics was designed for the latest DirectX® levels to focus on providing an optimal user experience on the latest games and technologies. AMD encourages users to take advantage of these and numerous other innovations that have come to market recently by upgrading system hardware.

AMD Radeon™ graphics, found in both AMD A-Series APUs and discrete Radeon graphics cards, are designed to deliver the best possible experiences. As such, AMD Dual Graphics performance increase is applicable to select DirectX® 10 and later applications. For DirectX® 9 applications, the combined performance will be disabled and the fastest graphics engine will be utilized to deliver the amazing speed and performance synonymous with AMD Radeon™ graphics.

Q6: Does AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics work with AMD Eyefinity technology?

A6: AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics will support AMD Eyefinity technology as long as your discrete GPU supports AMD Eyefinity technology1 and monitors are plugged into the discrete GPU outputs.

Q7: With a multi-monitor setup, why do some of the displays become disabled when I enable AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics?

A7: AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics is a form of AMD CrossFireX technology, and, with the current solution, only displays from the “master” graphics device (the one that monitors are plugged into) are available. The other displays are disabled. To ensure your displays remain available, make sure to connect your displays to the “master” graphics device.

The "master" device settings can be found in the AMD Catalyst Control Centre under the "Information, Hardware" tab or in Radeon Settings under the "System, Hardware" tab.

Additional hardware (e.g. HD or 4K monitor, USB 3.0 ports, wirelessly enabled HDTV) and/or software (e.g. multimedia applications and/or Wi-Fi access) are required for the full enablement of some features. HD/4K video display requires an HD/4K video source. Not all features may be supported on all components or systems - check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities and supported technologies.

*For more information on AMD features and software go to        amd.com/featuredetails

ankitkumarkhanna

I am very fond of playing games. I have ASUS laptop. You know if we want to play high graphics game then we have to buy laptop with big RAM and Graphic cards.