3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 3:01 PM by black_zion

How does a primary and linked video cards work?

brylee

My laptop shows my primary video card has 1024 MB and my linked video card has 2048 MB, so wouldn't this mean i have 3072 MB of video memory? How does my primary video card and linked video card work? Do they add up to 3072 MB or does my linked video card do all the work when playing games or vice versa with primary video card?.

I need to figure it out so i know if I can play a certain PC games on my new laptop.

• Re: How does a primary and linked video cards work?
            brylee

The link was helpful, but it didn't necessarily say that I have a combined 3072 MB video memory or just 1024 MB or 2048 MB. It states they work together and when your in need of extra performance the linked video card starts to help my primary. (If i read it correctly)

But for the PC games i want to play I need 1 GB - 2 GB of video memory and I found 2 websites (Not sure if i can post outside links) but they say I can't run (For example) GTA V. The two sites differ one says memory card meets the 1 GB minimum requirement but fails the test (Somehow), the other site says my CPU and Video card don't meet minimum system requirements.

My laptop is as follows:

ASUS X550Z

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

AMD FX-7500 Quad Core 2.1 GHZ (Turbo boost up to 3.3 GHZ)

1024 MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (Primary) AND 2048 MB ATI AMD Radeon R5 M230 Series (Linked)

12 GB of RAM

1 TB Hard drive

GTA V Minimum requirements are:

Quad core CPU @ 2.4 GHZ

1 GB of video memory

4 GB of RAM

65 GB of hard drive space

With turbo boost I meet the CPU minimum requirements, (If both video cards add up to 3072 MB of video memory) With a combined 3072 MB Dual graphics cards memory I meet the minimum requirements and with 12 GB I exceed the RAM minimum requirements. But I failed those 2 sites minimum requirements to play GTA V on my laptop ... Why?

My laptop "Should" be able to play GTA V right? (On low or medium settings)