AnsweredAssumed Answered

FurMark prevents crashes (?)

Question asked by angieseg1407 on Oct 9, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 by john_tau

I still have problems with my XFX RX 470 Black Edition. When I install the graphics card without drivers (only with the basic Windows driver that gets automatically installed) I have no problems. However, after installing them, every 5-10 seconds, my screen gets black for 1-2 seconds and then reverts to normal. Before that happens, mouse cursor gets stuck and 1 second later the screen gets black. This behavior occur several times before Windows 10 crashes with a BSOD related to atikmpag.sys and VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, and it is more frequent when I move my mouse cursor or I try to move a window. Because of this, I can only use my PC in safe mode; otherwise, Windows restarts a few minutes after login because of the BSOD.

I tried every possible solution for this (Windows reinstall with HDD format, updating mobo BIOS, reinstalling every driver version from 16.7.3 to the last one, using CCleaner, disabling antivirus, setting high performance profile, and some other that I may have forgotten) with no results.

I downloaded FurMark just to see if my GPU could work under stress conditions. I run it immediately after Windows login before any BSOD happens. Surprisingly, when I run the animation with that hairy donut thing, black screens and BSODs stop happening! When the test finishes, a few seconds later, black screens start appearing again. They also appear if FurMark's window gets minimized; it has to be at maximum size so they don't appear.

This doesn´t make any sense! GPU gives problems when idle, and has to be under load so it works properly!

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

I think this behavior is related to this: Could you offer a bios fix to a black screening RX480 8Gb (avoid RMA)?

To all RX480 owners. Are you getting random black screens?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/53gfxt/rx_480_and_idle_black_screen_issues_continue_1681/

Outcomes