cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

marty1885
Adept II

OpenCL 2.0 capable graphics cards on Linux(Ubuntu 16.04)?

Hello, I'm a student from NSYSU in Taiwan. I'm looking forward to research on doing ray tracing with OpenCL 2.0 (Mainly about utilizing and analysing SVM for acceleration structure generation and traversing in ray tracing). After some research on AMD Developer Community. I found that the new AMDGPU-PRO driver does not support OpenCL 2.0. That trims my options down to the 2XX and 3XX cards with the Catalyst driver. Which, are no longer supported on the latest version of Ubuntu(The environment my lab uses the most and knows the most about).

Is there any solution to my problem?

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies
nou
Exemplar

Use Ubuntu 14.04. It is old but still supported so you can install old catalyst which have OpenCL 2.0 support. AMDGPU-PRO is still in development and beta status.

0 Likes

Hmm... I there any way to get Catalyst to work on 16.04? It might be better if I could compile my code with new compiler and libraries.

Just some rambling. Why AMD discarded catalyst while AMDGPU is still in beta. That's a super bad decision for a developer.
Anyone have any idea on when OpenCL 2.0 support will land on AMDGPU-PRO? I'm looking forward to it.

0 Likes