AnsweredAssumed Answered

16.10.1 - System crashes randomly

Question asked by danibw0i on Oct 7, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 10, 2016 by vonchen

After I installed 16.10.1 drivers I've had the whole system randomly crash completely. Screen turns into a digital distorted image of all colors, can't do anything, have to shut down the computer. This happens both in a game or just in desktop. The Event Viewer shows nothing but an error message saying there was an unexpected shutdown at the exact time the system crashed, no other details in any of the categories.

I run a clean system, I've been running the same setup for many years and I never have serious problems. In fact, the only problems I've had the last years have been related to AMD drivers, especially the last 8 months, where I also had to return the gfx card to see if that's where the problem was. But technicians couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Turns out it was the drivers. This was fixed about 2-3 months ago. But now, with 16.10.1 installed, the system has become unstable.

I tried to contact some proper customer support for this but no matter where I go on the website, through "contact us", they always redirect me into the forums to "ask questions" to the community. I've searched around here and can't find any related info about this. I only found a lot of people are having crashes during installation of the drivers. I've never had that happen to me.

Anyone else experiencing this or are there any techs here who can answer this and/or have a temporary workaround?

System runs on the following:

Mobo: Asus Z87 Pro

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600Mhz 2x4GB

GFX: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4GB

GFX Drivers: AMD Crimson 16.10.1

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 256GB

PSU: Corsair TX850 v.2.3 - Single 12V rail @ 70A

Monitor: Benq G2412HD - 1920x1080 - 60Hz

PS: I don't use Gaming Evolved.

Outcomes