4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2016 11:47 AM by tylzen

Just upgraded from 7850HD to XFX R9 380X - Expericing atikmpag.sys BSOD when playing games.

tylzen

Issue:

Before installing my new GPU, I made sure to uninstall the old drivers before plugging in the new card.

I have now been uninstalling and reinstalling for the 6th time today, still I get atikmpag.sys error when I play in certain games.

I tried to do 3D mark benchmark Time Spy Demo, it worked just fine.

I left the PC idle for 4 hrs, still fine

I watched videos, both from files, and streamed, no issue.

But when I go into games, then after awhile they crash, and the screen is filled with artifacts, and I get the message Video-TDR failure (as I recall) problem with atikmpag.sys

So I have been googling the issue, and the stops I have taken so far are:

Use the CMD prompt to do the two commands AMD suggests on the troubleshooting page.

Uninstall all drivers in Safemode (This resulted in Radeon Settings no longer works or able to reinstall, but that was after this most recent and latest reinstall)

Used the AMD driver removal.

Tried to install both on C:\ and D:\

There was one suggested fix I didn't do, but because it told me to find atikmpag.sy_ in my C:\Ati folder, I don't have an Ati folder, I have tonnes of AMD folders now, but none of them or their sub-directory contains any atikmpag.sy_ files.

I am at a loss, the PC runs fine normally, and even did the Furmark GPU stress test, that takes the GPU to 100% load for some duration, and raised the temp to about 60C, and it didn't crash.

But in games like Fallout 4, Total War:Warhammer, Rise of Tombraider, it crashes with the atikmpag.sys message after awhile.

What to do?

System details below

Description of my system:

• AMD Graphics Card
        • XFX AMD R9 380X 4GB DDR5 Black Edition - Factory OC
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • Radeon Software Crimson Edition (16.10.1)
      • Display Devices
        • ASUS something, uses VGA til DVI adapter - 60 Hz

• Motherboard
        • Asus SABERTOOTH P67
      • CPU/APU
        • CPU: i5 3470
      • PSU
        • COBA CS-650it 82+ - 650Watt

• RAM
        • 8 GB