58 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 4:48 AM by ngrrox

RX 470 gives random black screens and BSOD's

angieseg1407

I bought an XFX Black Edition RX 470. After installing the latest drivers, I could play some games normally. But after restarting my PC, my screen goes black for 1 or 2 seconds and then returns to normal. That happens several times after booting Windows 10, and after a few black screens, it appears a BSOD with the message VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE atimkpag.sys (or something).

I also tried to install 16.7.3 drivers, and happens the same problem, the difference is that the black screens happens while installing the drivers.

That problem doesn´t happen with my old Geforce 8400GS. I had to reinstall this old card, otherwise I can´t use my computer, since I can´t boot properly because of the BSOD.

• Re: RX 470 gives random black screens and BSOD's
          amdmatt

TDR errors can be resolved by following the troubleshooting steps in the linked document.

supremus

Hi all

I got same issues but with Gigabyte RX460. I catch up BSOD error with atikmpag.sys. Tried everything from troubleshooting here and youtube and many more but nothing  for resolving this issue. When I install all package I notice it get BSOD often but when I install pure driver for card only it can last sometimes 2 day, sometimes 3 days but BSOD comes and it starting to frustrate me very much. I get update for windows tried new and old drivers but problem persist and always same atikmpag.sys. I notice when I start WoW, Facebook, Youtube and make some surf BSOD comes more often. I couldn't force BSOD with Furmark, GPU is very stable with temp of 69-70 degrease of celsius. Any possible solution?

supremus

OK, new drivers same issue. Will this be over soon? I am very frustrated with BSOD now. atikmpag.sys is obviously problem for RX 400 series cards...

angieseg1407

I still have the same problem.

Bumping this thread since AMD must solve this problem.

angieseg1407

According to GPU-Z, my card is always at 100%, even on idle. I have no drivers installed, since as I said, drivers don't let Windows to boot properly.

100pc.gif

supremus

Yet another new drivers and still problem persist... GW WD

tiflopodikas

Tommorow i ll take the card from the store i bought it so they can see it themselves i hope that the problems will be there on their pc too and if they let me i am gonna return it and buy 1060 3gb, i am not playing with AMD again, after r7 260x which crashed at some games and i had to underclock the card so i could play the game properly without crashes now this thing with brand new series dammit not spending money on AMD ever again look what happened for me at Deus Ex MD

20161018234122_1.jpg20161018234114_1.jpg

littlegirl

I have a Sapphire RX-470 8gb and having about the same problem. The computer will crash or BSOD going into sleep mode or coming out of it. This computer was my backup and had a XFX R7-370 4gb card in it for months. It would go in & come out of sleep mode with no problems.

That is the only problem so far with my card. I'm not having any other problems other then the sleep mode. Even if it does come out of it I lose HHD and freeze. If I put the setting to never go into sleep mode I'm fine. Plus I'm running windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Plus if I reboot the computer it will just sit at the windows logo screen for ever. I have to shut down the computer and let if sit for a few seconds. Then it will start normal. I never had these problems till I put in the RX-470 card.  I have been using ATI cards for over 10 yrs. Never ever had a problem like this before this card.

tiflopodikas

In my opinion the mistake was to trust AMD again after the failure with R7  260X(needed to underclock so i can play without crashes) and here in my country it seems i am going to pay the price for this because you cant do an easy rma. Pffff i feel i just wasted 230 euros and all of theese cause of AMD and the company doesnt ever care about this. Thats why AMD is so far away from Intel Nvidia and they will never reach them as it seems with failures like this. Ahhhh and so i wont forget thanks to the AMD support for no helping just ruining yourselvers with these actions.

guily6669

"I have a Sapphire RX-470 8gb and having about the same problem. The computer will crash or BSOD going into sleep mode or coming out of it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If it was Wind10, that would be a bug on wind10. In every computer\laptop I installed 10 no matter the hardware it would crash to BSOD.

But I think even wind10 also updated and fixed that problem. Never tried Sleep mode anymore since the bug, but I think they updated it a bit after and fixed it.

houssaeve

The same problem with Asus Strix 460 4GB. Two times i played in darksouls3, and listened youtube video(monitor connected with hdmi). And in random time all crashing with bsod: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE atimkpag.sys. 2016-10-20 (2).png

magnusr

That is exactly how my sapphire rx 470 nitro+ crashes looks... Can crash everywhere. Especially when watching movies. I don't do much gaming.

Windows 10 with all updates. Crimson 16.10.3 Connected to LG oled using hdmi 2.0 3860x2160 RGB Full 4:4:4 60Hz. Did you solve your problem?

20161031_235457.jpg

deathstalkergr

I had the random black screens that could occur from 5 minutes apart to 6-7 whole hours or half a day. I now fixed it , it has been a week without ANY issues, and I simply did 3 things. 1) I disabled the onboard GPU through BIOS. (If you have a MOBO onboard GPU and an APU disable them both would be preferable) 2) I've installed clockblocker and had it set up with 2 rules and run on startup. (Rules will be on the picture) 3) Last but I think definitely not least is that I've increased the power limit to 10% (some say you can do more but I feel safe there) and I've upped the full load voltage (GPU) and the other one on the right (memory voltage) to 0.25 mV. It worked like a charm since. I have the 16.10.2 update. Be sure to use DDU in safe mode to completely delete the drivers, disconnect from the internet (so as make Windows 10 unable to install it itself) and use CCleaner before installing the newest version. I'm just *that* paranoid. I hope it helps you my friend. AMD.pngclockblocker.png

(You may not have to install clockblocker after all since I wanted to check the rules to screenshot this image and I've found out that *somehow* the app isn't running on startup , but I had zero problems whatsoever. It doesn't hurt to try. Good Luck.

tiflopodikas

This thing happened to me the third day, but  it nevered occured again thankfully, try to unistall with ddu and install drivers  again all in safe mode to see if this happens again.

magnusr

Just did a fresh install of latest windows 10 with all updates. Loaded all the drivers again. Happend once again so far....

AMD please get your act togheter. The RX 470 has been out for a while now! I have the sapphire RX 470 nitro+

magnusr

I'm an IT guy myself. Originally MCSE and CCNA certified. Worked with computers for 15 years. I administer Citrix and terminal servers, Active Directory, exchange, hyper-v and Vmware, network and firewalls, hp servers and computers.

Did a fresh install of this computer last night to see if that helped (but sadly it didn't). Windows 10 with the latest updates. Crimson 16.10.3

Took the computer to work connected it to a monitor. Crashed soon after again. Now using display port 1920x1080 instead of the HDMI 3840x2160 at home.

This computer build: (System has never been overclocked)

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Motherboard: Asus Z170i pro gaming (upgraded to latest bios yesterday also)

CPU: I5-6500 with stock fan

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 (Only running at 2133MHz)

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO M2

Graphics: Sapphire RX 470 nitro+ 4GB

This computer was a 100% stable since it was built like 7-9 months ago using the builtin cpu graphics HD 530.

Now I am going to test 16.10.2 WHQL driver. Update: Crashed again.

From event viewer system log:

Crash with 16.10.3

(event id 1001): Bugcheck

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffffe50de2319010, 0xfffff80cda8aee4c, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000d). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: cdd43e84-790e-409f-89b3-4f05cef8fe3f.

Crash with 16.10.2

(event id 1001): Bugcheck

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffffcf85feaa3010, 0xfffff80eebe9ed90, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000d). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: f0283267-979a-4583-913a-d9bf13596c5b.

AMD is this card defective or is it your drivers?

magnusr

Weirdest part is that I just did the following tests:

Prime95: ok

3D Mark timespy: ok

Ashes of singularity benchmark: ok

Rise of the Tom Raider benchark: ok

Also did a full pass in memtest just in case: ok

But it can crash just staying on the desktop sometimes. It seems to crash mostly while watching movies even with hardware decoding off (mpc hc, lav, madvr).

20161102_140438.jpg

r9380user

1/Did you debug your crash dumps?

2/Do you have solid red screens and lock ups?

Synthetic stress tests are useless. I never have crashes any of them(memtest, prime95, furmark, video memory stress tests etc.). But i have many of black screens, TDR errors, solid red screens, DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED errors and BSODs. Reseller couldn't replicate the issue and so they refused my replacement request.(ASUS R9 380 STRIX)

vaalix

I just got an rx 480 and I am getting random bsod.

A google search said it had something to do with ati drivers not expanding correctly when being installed.. Ill have to find and follow the instructions on how the guy fixed it but this is out of control. This is a pretty awesome video but wtf is wrong with the drivers not installing properly.. AMD... Hire some better drivers makers..

magnusr

It's very intersting that the atikmpag.sys file is not in the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder after a clean install of windows 10 and WHQL 16.10.2 or 16.10.3. I copied it there from the AMD install directory now. Let's see what happens. Could mean more files is missing.

This is the file that the bluescreen refers to.

Update:

After adding the atikmpag.sys to the windows\system32\drivers folder. it has been a couple of hours without a crash. Not enough time to say for sure but so far a record. I'll keep you updated.

Could anyone with a working/stable RX card under windows 10 take a screenshot/snip/picture of all the files under c:\windows\system32\drivers starting with the name ati in the first three letters (ati*.*).

vaalix

You're on the right track. I can't seem to find the instructions on what that other guy did but it had to do with expanding that  atikmpag.sys file you mentioned.. and maybe in that directory your talking about..

vaalix

ah here it is: Im just about to do this.

Follow every step :

Step 1: Download and install the latest ati graphic driver.AND DONT TURN OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER INSTALLATION

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.sys.old.

Step 3: Go to ati directory (usually in C:\ATI) and find the file atikmdag.sy_.

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing chdir Desktop.

Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. Or,

expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys from your Desktop to

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                          minidin

I think you should check where the drivers are loaded from - they don't have to be in system32\drivers. Device Manager - %device% - driver - driver details.

You can also see it all in one nice panel with nirsoft utility driverview. I mean, it's good your computer not crashing anymore, but making an additional copy of atikmag.sys when it's loaded from elsewhere won't help others who read this forum, right?

supremus

New Drivers. 3 days of testing, regular things I was doing before and no BSOD. At least not for now, it seams that it is fixed finally.

magnusr

In Windows 10 I didn't have to expand. It was normal under c:\amd. From 16.10.3

I took atikmpag.sys and copied it to system32\drivers. Didn't even have to overwrite  since it was missing.

Should I also take atikmdag.sys since it's also missing?

supremus

Nope new drivers from 03.11. doesnt work. atikmpag.sys BSOD.

vaalix Your solution is not helpful for me.

Drivers from 27.10. (crimson) seams to be a bit stable than previous versions. Will see how much new one can hold without pushing until BSOD.

magnusr

Upgraded to 16.11.1. Started watching a 4k h265 movie with dxva on. Tried without dxva another bsod.

Ran 2 runs with 3d mark timespy . All good.

Played a little with Tom raider. All good.

I requested a rma. Can't live without watching movies. Most important for me since this is a htpc.

Hasn't done a bsod on desktop usage for a while. But probably just a matter of time.

vaalix

I just reloaded win 7, installed newest drivers for everything and the gpu, don't seem to be getting bsod anymore, but there is still random errors with the amd software.. Nothing that has caused a blue screen or lockup.. I played bf1 for 4 hrs no problems last night..

I think, it seems, a lot of people are having problems with these cards on windows 10.. I don't know why, I never upgraded to win 10.

Its kind of sad we have to be practically it techs to get these cards working properly.. If I was AMD, I would seriously consider hiring some top notch software/driver coders..

If you guys are on win 10 and can dual boot a win 7 os to see if the cards still produce the same problems, that would be interesting to know. There very well may be problems with dx 12 and win 10 and amd drivers.. I don't know for sure..

guily6669

Transition from Nvidia to AMD isnt going great here either .

For 6 years I had almost no problems with my GTX570 even at max OC with full unlocked Voltage with a bios flash and higher clocks that almost everyone out there.

The card is still alive and fully working.

Now I upgraded to Asus Strix RX480 and its been only a big headache since the day I put it in my PC.

Crashes, freezes, crashes is all what happens.

So far I got:

- crashes on firefox while watching some videos;

- crashes on windows with old drivers;

- crashes on almost every game I play and some old games now dont even open and crash;

- 2 BSOD (though this never happen anymore after some driver update);

- Graphics dont look any good in comparison to my 6 years old Nvidia. Most games I have low detail vegetation and dotty\grainy textures specially on vegetation or while moving on some games. Specially Dirt Rally which is even a AMD game looks far worse than on my old GTX570 (And from what I see its a reported problem for years on any AMD card even from the time of the HD ones and AMD never added to the known problem list).

ps: Everyday I start thinking how dumb I was entering the store to buy this RX480. GOD why was I stupid saving money and not have brought home a GTX 1070 instead .

vaalix

Your story sounds just like mine. I had the GTX 570 also for like 6 years lol.. Got the Rx 480 and it was nothing but problems till I reloaded win 7. I can't say doing the same on win 10 would help but it might.

The only other thing I am doing is running speed fan so the fan is always running on the card.. 50% or 75% when in game..

guily6669

Yeah but with my 570 I had Wind7 and no problems, then 8.1, no problems and then Wind 10 also no problems...

I even have been playing all games where I didnt even had minimum requirements with the 570 and could play fine. Star Wars even runs on ultra 1080P, 100% resolution and just shadows to normal without AA, everything else ultra and run around 50 FPS almost all the time.

BF1 beta also played very well at 60 FPS, though it was on 50% resolution and medium settings, but still looked pretty good. Now on the final game with RX480 I get a lot of cpu stuttering, but that from what it seems is really EA's fault since everyone is reporting cpu stuttering.

Now sadly I get only crashes and problems... Yesterday I did another DDU pass, installed latest AMD update, went into BF1, played 2 rounds and gave me a crash that I never had before with a DX error, AMD driver crashed, blahblahblah and to make sure I have more than 1GB of Vram lol... Then I opened AMD driver software and the whole driver crashed...

I could play for more than a full day any game with no crashes on my GTX570, now the only game I can seem to play for a long time is Squad, all the others crash after some time. BF1 has been random, some days I can play all night, while some days it freezes or crash after just a bit .

-----------------------------

If I was the person in charge on AMD and all my money was made from selling CPUs and GPUS, I would totally make sure to make products that would work and specially put the technicians working right away to fix all the major problems since all their money comes from us the stupids that buy hardware that at the end never works as intended, at least I feel like stupid and already start thinking it was a DOWNGRADE and not an UPGRADE going from my Asus DirectCUII GTX570 to a Asus Strix ROG RX480 . First: ; Second:; Third: , this is my mood with this RX480...

ps: Going MAD here...

ultramegaface

Wow. It's December and people are STILL dealing with this issue.

I just ordered two new GPUs, a Red Devil 480 8GB and a MSi Armor 470 4GB. The 480 works great, it's for my primary gaming machine.

I ordered a used Dell Optiplex 790 to use with the MSi Armor 470 4GB. Fits just fine, evga 500W PSU gives it plenty of juice, but it runs virtually any and all games at 2 frames per second and causes lots of lag just on the Windows 10 64-bit Desktop. Both my 7770 1GB and my RX 380 work just fine in this Dell, there is no reason the 470 should not work just fine.

So I thought "Well, maybe this OEM Dell board hates this GPU. I'll try it in my main custom gaming machine."

Swapped it into the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, and it seemed to be alright. Well, that is, until I tried to put it into sleep mode. Upon waking, the entire system slowed to a crawl, and black screens sporadically happen over and over. Force reboot.

Okay...so, now I play some games. Games play fine. Titanfall, Unreal Tournament, Dirt Rally, Counter Strike GO - zero issues, great performance.

Then, I try watching some youtube videos, and I get this blue screen 'VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE atimkpag.sys' or whatever. Force reboot.

Tried half a dozen different drivers, using DDU each time - no change.

Tried half a dozen different fixes and random changes in Windows - no change.

I've used over 20 AMD cards throughout my career, and this is the first time I've ever had any issue with a card. Since the card plays games just fine, I am inclined to believe that it is NOT a hardware issue, but rather a driver or Windows 10 issue.

Going to try the card in a totally different AMD PII X4 925 based system this weekend. Will report behavior.

amd_fan

Same problem here but with a difference. For me, it only happens if I leave an image open for some minutes without any other program running in the background (except the AV).

Everything works fine, many hours of gaming, some videos, many youtube, zero crashes black screens, etc. Leave an image open for some minutes and I get black screens and sometimes BSOD (Video_TDR_Failure).... I don't believe it's hardware related, since everything works fine.

matzeii

Similar problem here.

Build:

MOBO: ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 3.2 Ghz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1066 (2x4GB)

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W

I am having issues when watching Youtube videos, the computer freezes, and i can't do anything but hard reset it.

*Facts*

- I installed Windows 10 from zero.

- I user Memtest86 last night for 8hs, with no errors.

- The CPU and RAM was in use in my previous build, and it worked ok.

- I have the latest AMD drivers for my card.

- I disabled hardware acceleration in chrome.

- I tried changing the Power Energy profiles, on Windows, on BIOS, on AMD Control Panel, no luck at all.

- I played Dying Light at Max Settings (1080p) for hours with no problem, but I started using Chrome, and it freezed.

Still searching for a solution...

ngrrox

FYL

I have same BSOD with unicolor crashing screen when entering windows 10. The screen will flash a few times with different unicolor pattern, driver is updated 17.1.1. GPU  is MSI RX470 4G. The unicolor screen only appears for a fresh start in a day or the first few restart.

After doing a lot of homework:

I replace the DVI-HDMI cable used to connect GPU to my monitor with a true male-male HDMI cable, and the problem is gone for 4 days so far. Many people have same issue with such adapting cables which not only limits to GPU connection and could happen to any TV box to TV too. Hope this helps some of you.....

druni

Still no crash? So does that mean I have a faulty displayport cable? I have the same issue but I only get bluescreen while watching twitch, never when playing games.

XFX RS 480 4GB

poweredestroyer

I had the same problem since 01-13. I changed the HDMI cable. BSOD issue occurs when the components of VGA card are not handle the over-heating. LOW-Quality of DVI cables and HDMI cables can make this happen.

The first thing to do is take your CPU and plug on another device(monitor) with other cable.

HDMI cables has different qualities, when we input 480p/720p some cables hold nice, when we input 1080p/i, 2k, UHD, 4k and so on the low quality of cable makes the video loss.

I fixed my issue in a simple way, i changed the HDMI cable.

Here is the deal, HDMI cable works with high intensity of heat, when we use 1080p/i with sound, the cable overheat on the output of our VGA and INPUT of TV/Monitor. The VGA freezes when it uses on 3D visions and HD Streamings to protect it self.

It's not a problem of PSU in the most of times. EX: PSU with 4 cables PCI-E in most of cases share the same 60A/65A on 750w PSU, 40/45A on 600W PSU. We have to search on the PSU vendor if the 4 cables os PCI-E 6/8 pin shares the same 60A, but in most time shares. Even the ancient ones.

Srry my bad english

druni

I changed drivers to 16.2.2 and havent had any bluescreens since, will let you know if I do.

I have a RX480 but same problem as you.

adrp82

Hi guys, I solved that issue uninstalling newer drivers with DDU (in safe mode) and installing 16.11.5 drivers version. Maybe it can help you!

amd_fan

We all need to report it here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D23A3DE979

This is still happening on the newest drivers. Please , everyone, report it!

ngrrox

Just a follow up on this issue:

On Jan. 27, 2017 I mentioned it was due to a DVI-HDMI cable and problem was resolved. However, it did reduce the frequency of BSOD on login after switching a pure HDMI cable but problem still existed.

Mine RX470 was from MSI, so I installed all latest MSI software from MSI website to see if it helped. BSOD occurred again when MSI gaming app (controls GPU's LED, fans, etc.) was being installed. And BSOD problem still existed after All MSI softwares were updated. So I guessed BSOD was due to multiple GPU control software were installed (in my case, I had MSI gaming apps and amd Crimson. They both can control physical properties like LED, fan speeds, clock speed, etc.)

So I removed all MSI softwares and have been having only amd Crimson being the only GPU software for 1 month so far and BSOD never comes back again!

Can you guys try removing any softwares/apps from GPU manufacturer and having only AMD driver/app ?

I will update to latest AMD driver soon to see if it works with latest driver (currently MSI provides Crimson 16.2.1 for RX470 on their website). I will keep it updated with you all.