29 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2017 10:19 PM by atlasminor

bad text quality

torojet

hello I was using

I was using nvidia card and now I'm using an amd card. Before selecting amd my visual experience was very good. And now I'm experiencing problems. I Use asus vx239h as monitor and I don't experience any visual deformation while using my laptop(nvidia) via hdmi, my desktop via hdmi connected to integrated graphics(intel). But if I connect hdmi to my vga r9 290x, every text looks just odd to me. IT IS NOT BLURRY. It is opposite of blurry. It is like I was playing a game and antialising is closed. Texts are sharp.

My eyes are getting used to it but if I see another computer I can immediately realize mine's failure.

my resolution : 1920x1080 (recommended) also; size of text apps and other items: 100%. it does not go below 100%. when i push over 100% texts get blurry.

I used clear type, still it doesn't look like my laptop or mobo display.

EDIT: You can see the difference between to "t"'s.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet  or other letters.

Sorry for bad English and hope you can help me.

• Re: bad text quality
          black_zion

That looks normal to me, no distortion.

torojet

you can see the difference between "settings"'s  "i" letters. Color settings' i letter is thin, while related settings' i letter is bold. Also, you can see R of Related settings is bold. Another distortion is letter t in related settings. The letter t on the left is thin, while letter t on the right is bold. That is the distortion I'm talking about. And these are the notable ones with camera. Others are pretty close to this distortion but my phone's camera is not good enough to capture them.

If I screenshot it and send it here you will see normal. I don't know the reason behind this but I tried with my friends computer and everything is fine with ss in his computer display.

atlasminor

Was going to jump in there throw out a idea, but I realized no one has pointed out the question ....

( Which operating system are you experiencing this on ?)

I was going to assume the AU update 1607+ Win-10, but I decided to retract the thought and ask.

torojet

windows10. version 1607.

atlasminor

OK, that is were I ran into DPI scaling issues as well, and we are not alone. DPI Scaling and the entire Windows-10 OS got a huge overhaul for DPI when they released the anniversary edition.

To find this info , just open your Feedback Hub, new to the anniversary edition and start scrolling through the publish notes, its in there, one section is desktop other is all mobile combined.

Apparently displays are not being recognized properly after post installation. Soon as you hit the desktop it locks the DPI to the new settings until VGA driver install,

that sucks, because you first need to correct the DPI to match the monitor....

You can try what I did which corrected my DPI but you will probably lose FILL, as a option for wallpapers.

IMO-Roll back to 1511 like MS suggests until proper legacy support is re-added, due to a foul up of them accidently removing a ton of services and legacy drivers that are system hidden, but if not, your determined to stick it out on 1607+ Try this

(This all needs to be done BEFORE Driver Installation) meaning settings are greyed out/locked

Open settings/Display- scroll down to advanced options

Click (advanced sizing and text and other items)

In that order , do not navigate to control panel and go that route, settings in anniversary are known to have a issue with navigation and saving any settings at all, Plus if you haven't noticed, if you pullout your desktop Toolbar ...located on TaskBar, just drag that out the desktop on your taskbar, you will notice you have more than one control panel on it !!!! no joke.

See for yourself, some people reported more than 2

OK now click the underlined Set a Custom Scaling Level, you will see its set to 125%, that cant be right? Set that to 100% click signout from the settings menu Display, That's were you sign out, not through the start menu, its broken tooo

Sign back in, Install your VGA drivers, unlock the real settings, you will now notice the main DPI scaling bar is set to 175% greyed out and locked!

Go back through the steps to get back to custom scaling, make sure it didn't change, now close everything except the main settings win10 introduced, CLICK (stop using custom DPI settings) move the slider to 100% WHILE THE STORE IS OPEN, forgot, this has all been traced to metro apps and mainly the new Store messing up DPI, idk why

signout, sign back in, enjoy your now fixed DPI>

hope this helps you out. It worked for me, but I have since rolled back to 1511 and BLOCKED the AU update forever.

Cheers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          torojet

To find this info , just open your Feedback Hub, new to the anniversary edition and start scrolling through the publish notes, its in there, one section is desktop other is all mobile combined.

Apparently displays are not being recognized properly after post installation. Soon as you hit the desktop it locks the DPI to the new settings until VGA driver install,

that sucks, because you first need to correct the DPI to match the monitor....

I find Feedback Hub, but I didn't find any settings.

IMO-Roll back to 1511 like MS suggests until proper legacy support is re-added, due to a foul up of them accidently removing a ton of services and legacy drivers that are system hidden, but if not, your determined to stick it out on 1607+ Try this

I didn't go back to 1511. I stick to 1607.

(This all needs to be done BEFORE Driver Installation) meaning settings are greyed out/locked

Open settings/Display- scroll down to advanced options

Click (advanced sizing and text and other items)

In that order , do not navigate to control panel and go that route, settings in anniversary are known to have a issue with navigation and saving any settings at all, Plus if you haven't noticed, if you pullout your desktop Toolbar ...located on TaskBar, just drag that out the desktop on your taskbar, you will notice you have more than one control panel on it !!!! no joke.

See for yourself, some people reported more than 2

OK now click the underlined Set a Custom Scaling Level, you will see its set to 125%, that cant be right? Set that to 100% click signout from the settings menu Display, That's were you sign out, not through the start menu, its broken tooo

Sign back in, Install your VGA drivers, unlock the real settings, you will now notice the main DPI scaling bar is set to 175% greyed out and locked!

Go back through the steps to get back to custom scaling, make sure it didn't change, now close everything except the main settings win10 introduced, CLICK (stop using custom DPI settings) move the slider to 100% WHILE THE STORE IS OPEN, forgot, this has all been traced to metro apps and mainly the new Store messing up DPI, idk why

signout, sign back in, enjoy your now fixed DPI>

hope this helps you out. It worked for me, but I have since rolled back to 1511 and BLOCKED the AU update forever.

Cheers.

I uninstalled my driver via DDU while safe mode enabled. Then I went to advanced sizing and text and other items. It was 100%. So I couldn't change it.
                          I tried to change it to 125% and went back from there to 100%. I did 2 sign out's. After 2nd sign-out, I installed VGA driver ( 16.10.1) and as you said it is locked to the 175%. I looked up to custom scaling and find it didn't change - 100% -.
                          I couldn't change this 175% bar without signing out and re-login, which didn't work. I did this WHILE STORE IS OPEN.

So I did everything you said as possible as windows let me do it. Still, I couldn't do it.

Also, when I bought this video card, I didn't have any internet connection and the date was 25 of August. So I don't know on which date the anniversary update came but at that time, I installed VGA driver without an internet connection and I was experiencing this issue since then.

atlasminor

Ok, been awhile and not answered,.. at least you got some things ii mentioned to work like i explained, If updates havnt solved your problem yet, you might want to use custom DPI settings tofix the DPI and re-install driver after locking the monitor with the corrected DPI's.

The HUB news might have insider access only for what i was referring to, but if you can correct the DPI through custom settings back and forth, this should be a solved issue.

torojet

Thanks for replying. I realized that this issue originated from windows10. I'm definitely sure. While I'm using ubuntu with HDMI to my VGA I see no distortion. Also, while using windows10 with HDMI cable connected to my MOBO, I also see no distortion. Updates didn't solve my problem, and as I mentioned above, while trying to fix this problem, either I couldn't do it because of my clumsiness or windows didn't let me do it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      atlasminor

Its noce to bump into someone ese who too has tried Ubuntu to compare issues found in Win-10. I can vouch that I to saw Ubuntu even XFCE Pure run my 300Mseries without any visual drawbacks as seen in windows-10.

The new ReLive driver set has corrected almost everything I used to see wrong on windows-10 (btw) , and no roblem, I think il be running smooth for along time now that I got the kinks worked out to run ReLive.

torojet

I updated my drivers to new 16.12.1. Still upgrade didn't solve it. :/

atlasminor

When you updated I'm guessing you clean installed the driver set from scratch ?

With a clean install of the latest Windows AU fully updated and everything installed before driver install and placing / keeping the laptop in setup mode ? Setup Mode for newer notebooks would be disabling Secure Boot / if Intel involved TPM alongside there other stuff that might be hidden. Disabled Fast Boot but never placing the notebook into (other OS ) Legacy Mode, BIOS was reading setup mode not User Mode.

And last question. Note book was in setup mode the entire time Windows-10 Installed and fully updated even when other drivers and applications were installed ?

The truth is when I was lashing out about Rock and Hard Place leaving the impossible, this could be the case. Some things wont install or load while in setup mode including things in windows-10 same goes for if your not running the HDD as GPT . Now for the impossible. Your BIOS might not update properly if everything isn't matching up and the deformations could be carry over from previous that just hasn't or wont update, and if forced onto the BIOS /UEFI could be bad and the manufactures took precautions to something like that happening to prevent damage.

There is a notice Sticky 3 days ago on this main forum board that states " ReLive isn't for Mobile devices only desktops" but I have a mobile device the download points to ReLive and I downloaded that version of ReLive and its working fine, sort of.

Did you download the ReLive through the main link or chose Other Options and find your exact model ? I'm no expert here, but some compter principles haven't changed , that's the hard place. The rock being AMD.

So what your looking for is changes in your Bios/UEFI. You should now see RADEON listed next to the hardware your updating, if not then it didn't update but you should see something change. If your notebook already said RADEON when you first got it you can try default Microsoft drivers or something else older that will work to have the changes go through, that's were it gets scray and dangerous and BIOS manufactures actually are trying to prevent any harmful changes from happening. If / When you make the actual changes happen there is no telling what is going to happen (FYI) hence all the trouble reports, people don't realize they just altered there hardware like the manufacture didn't want it.

Now for ReLive. AMD has but BIOS signature Checking back into the package, and if your bios doesn't match the manufacture checks in the package, it wont install / run properly. Its just a big mess. Your going to have to do some digging around for a work around sounds like

torojet

When you updated I'm guessing you clean installed the driver set from scratch ?

yes. I installed windows 8.1 clean version and then I updated to 10, I bought windows8.1 key before 29 july or june.

Did you download the ReLive through the main link or chose Other Options and find your exact model ? I'm no expert here, but some compter principles haven't changed , that's the hard place. The rock being AMD.

I downloaded it via amd application, it said that I have an update so I updated it.

I have desktop r9 290x card. Not laptop.

However, after I installed windows10, I realized that( that was 2 weeks ago) it was BIOS. So I changed it to UEFI with some methods that I found in youtube or other websites and it worked, it successfully was translated from BIOS to UEFI. Still no improvement on my texture quality.

I'll look at BIOS signatures and other stuff, however I don't know how to look at it. Let me try and inform you.

atlasminor

Did you install Windows-10 through Flash Drive locked to GPT format then set your HDD/SSD to GPT format OR use a DVD thats set in tandom MBR/GPT installer method ?

This is important and might clear up your entire system including failed driver installs.

torojet

I used usb thumb drive to install windows 8.1 then I upgraded it to windows10 within windows. I dont know what is GPT, I just downloaded the 8.1 iso and copied the files in to usb. I don't have DVD-drive.

atlasminor

OK , thats a bigger problem then bad text.

You will have to list your System Specs , OR just say you have a UEFI based Stystem

I can answer from there

torojet

well, for a long time I had BIOS, but I have no idea that I had BIOS. I can't remember why I was looking for which version has my computer however, I found out that it is BIOS and I converted it to UEFI via cmd ( I found in the internet how to do it, deleting partitions, assinging letters etc.). TLDR: I had BIOS, I converted it to UEFI.

asus h81i mobo
                                                                  intel i5 4670k

ddr3 8gb gskills ram

r9 290x gigabyte gpu

800w thermaltake thoughpower psu

ssd and hdd.

16.12.2 amd drivers

windows 10 pro, version 1607, os build 14393.693

Thanks for sparing your time. You are the only person who helps me.

atlasminor

let me get back to you in a few hours to give me time to look up the board, the SSD and HDD combo you have going on right might be tricky but should be all good

torojet

Ok, I'm waiting. OS is installed on SSD, some stuff and 2 games are installed on SSD, others on HDD. I bought SSD and HDD new(not second-hand I mean). SSD is 2 years old, HDD is 3. I don't think that they are dying.

atlasminor

this link would have been better

asus h81

says your win10 ready New UEFI BIOS – Friendlier, easier, and more intuitive with helpful info added

atlasminor

Ok, guessing the HDD your using is added storage and isnt being used to install on

But you can convert both to GPT  no problem easy way to explain this is this

Create a dedicated USB using RUFFUS and set / lock the USB to GPT only

Using this guide Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Your first option were you select GPT partion Scheme UEFI is what your wanting to do OK ?

your going to need to download another Windows-10 ISO but make sure the USB is created with Ruffus

Then your going to want to make the SSD you have GPT format during the Win10 installation process

Also use the entire SSD when installing and make the MSR partion 128mb

as exlpained in this link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition

Microsoft Reserved Partition - Wikipedia

and get a guide to creatig a MSR partion geater than 16mb

if your fine with the defualt created then proceded to install, but just know i mentioned it should be greater than 16mb

connect and format your HDD after windows is installed and on your desktop, your SSD should be fine for now and better.

atlasminor

When you get win10 installed into a GPT format and your UEFI is back to a UEFI with secure boot disabled and fast boot disabled in both the UEFI and Windows and you still cant get the drivers installed and hardware picking up and things just look blurry let me know,

Ill check back tomorrow, but i bet you end up running like a champ afterwards w/o a hitch.

Nice board btw, you should see the heavens (imo) VR too, shouldnt be 1 problem with your hardware.

This got millions of users by surprise, its athign with windows10, it has problems also, its bad to run a UEFI OS with a UEFI hardware as a MBR CSM configuration. Dont worry about the HDD it will be fine, im not what the reason would be to flip your UEFI to BIOS emulation csm but that wont work with win10, not with your hardware and its funky when it is done with the hardware that can.

atlasminor

Forgot to mention, stop reinstalling windows 8/8.1 unless you plan to use that OS instead, Windows-10 is already activated ofr life on that hardware and its just going to keep re-cataloging your system . Non of that 8.1 stuff carries over, some of it used to but not anymore not for a long time

You can get the Win10 ISO through the media creator just close the app and kill the process after it downloads from MS . Goto the ISO and Target Ruffus at that ISO

Windows-10 isn't free anymore, upgrading options for free isnt no longer a option for anyone. IE wont work no matter how hard you try.

Also disable everything Legacy Options in your UEFI menu's Confirm its no longer BIOS / installing MBR scheme and set to install as UEFI with Secure Boot Disabled

If you have TPM or Boot Guard anything strange , Please consult the proper documents in regards to your system and make sure that stuff is compatible or follow there online instructions to turning it off and know if its a permanent Off or if in your case Asus updated the bios to install windows-10 PAST 10xxx release.

You should be fine, if you follow my directions , disable all the security and can live with that.

Onboard Security from Asus is the biggest hassle in the world , if you run into more problems, your going to need to get ahold of Asus tech support and ask them how far into the windows-10 updates can your board go.

I already saw there Faqs sheet for your board, your going to lose Fast Boot permanently, not sure about the rest.

torojet

Hello again. Long time no see
                                                                                            I used media creation tool to make windows10 usb disk and formatted my SSD with that USB. So it is clean installation. Still distortion continues. I didn't try those Secure Boot Disable settings.

Sorry for looong time after your last reply. I just find time to do a clean installation.

atlasminor

Win10 diskpart / format through installation media no longer works. Please format your SSD with professional software before reinstalling Win10 1607+

But glad ou were able to create / verfiy a real GPT USB media stick for installation. Microsoft is now selling GPT install sticks for abot 30.00$.

Money now saved.

ljubisal

I use Dell M5110 with AMD Radeon HD 6620G and Windows 10 Home, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.1198.

I use external Philips monitor with res. 1920 x 1080.

I had the problem with bad text quality on external monitor when I increase "size of the text" to 125% using Settings --> Display.

I solved it using Settings --> Display --> Advanced Display Settings --> Advanced sizing of text and other items --> set a custom scaling level --> and set it to 125%

Maybe it is not what you wanted, but maybe this can help you.