I've just got a new monitor (Asus MG279Q) and it doesn't sleep correctly when it enters power saving mode (ie putting the monitor to sleep). I've narrowed it down to being the AMD External Events Utility service. Turning it off causes expected behaviour of the monitor's sleep behaviour.
What happens instead of the expected behaviour is the following sequence:
- The screen turns off (expected)
- The screen loses input (expected)
- After several seconds the backlight comes back on and the display remains black. (unexpected)
My system specs from Crimson are the following:
- Radeon Software Version - 16.9.2
- Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
- Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
- Memory Size - 8192 MB
- Memory Type - GDDR5
- Core Clock - 1055 MHz
- Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
- System Memory - 16 GB]
- CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
EDIT: I'm connecting via the mini displayport cable the monitor came with, which Asus have told me is completely compatible with freesync.
Hopefully you can patch this as I'm not sure of the entire consequences of not running that service.
Thanks for your time. I look forward to hearing back.