5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2016 11:30 AM by catchabreak

7870 xt overheating

bacpap

My pc is about 4 years old and lately I have noticed that my 7870xt is overheating when playing games. I should state that I havent changed a gpu since my original purchase, nor have I removed it from the mobo, or toughed it whatsoever. The game in which I noticed the overheat is GTA V online. I know these games can be very demanding, but the temps my GPU reaches are alarming nonetheless. In fact, in certain points it reaches 95c(203F) and its average temp when playing gta is 80-90c(176-194F). I can say that it overheats way more often than before and way too rapidly. I have reset all the catalyst settings so that they are default. I should add that I am running MSI Afterburner, in which I have set the fans to run at 100% above 70c. So I guess the fans arent the problem. Thank you in advance.

• Re: 7870 xt overheating
          catchabreak

have you taken the card out and cleaned the heat sink and fan, is fan working ok,  are you getting adequate cooling, can you  remove side of case and see if temps decrease, if so can you add extra cooling fans to case

You can also try replacing the heat sink compound. can deteriorate over time.

bacpap

Thank you for your interest.
            I have tried blowing the gpu, changing thermal paste, removing the side of the pc case, all with the same result.
            Overheating no matter what.
            The pc idles at 40-50c and reaches even higher temps while playing gtav (97c)
            I think I'm out of my league now. I have tried everything and I am thinking of contacting a technician to look at my card...

catchabreak

I would suggest next step would be to buy an aftermarket cooling solution. Arctic and Gelid are the larger aftermarket GPU cooling brands. Looking on the internet the card always ran hot, The card is probably running at 100% all the time while running GTA V. Or if you have the money buy a 380, 390 or RX480 4Gbt or 8Gbt versions. These will be an upgrade on your present card and are more geared to DX12 than other cards. So will have a longer useful life span.