0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 2:16 AM by trystran

Radeon Settings and Wattman Crashing R9 390 Fury Crossfire

trystran

Okay, bear with me... this has been driving me insane for over a month now. I've been digging and digging, and there are so many things that make ZERO sense about this.

While playing Blizzard games (WoW, HotS, SC2), I'll crash at random times. Happens 3-4 times a day, with no pattern of timing or conditions... not relying on intense graphics load situations or anything of that nature. It just happens. There are 3 different things that can take place:

Crash 1: Screen locks up, then goes black... then nothing. Forced to manual reboot. Upon restart it says Wattman failed.

Crash 2: Screen locks up, then goes white (multi-monitor setup, only main screen goes white)... then the game says it has stopped working followed by Radeon Settings failed. Restart Radeon, restart game, and everything is fine until the next random crash.

Crash 3: Isn't really a crash... screen locks up, goes black for a few seconds, then all of a sudden pops back up, stutters for a bit, then levels back to normal.

I have never had this problem until about a month or so ago on any of the games. I've had random startup issues and quirky things to figure out with Crossfire compatibility and turning off overlays, but never crashes. Nothing is getting hot.

What makes ZERO sense is that, from my understanding, Wattman isn't even supposed to be running with anything under the 480... but it's somehow crashing? I can't even access any Wattman stuff to try to disable it via Global Settings. It acts as if it doesn't exist until it crashes. The Radeon Settings issue I assume is attributed to this, but I'm guessing.

I'm running 3 monitors, 2 of which are 144hz FreeSync, with the third a 75hz UltraWide FreeSync.

Video Cards: Radeon 390 Fury and Radeon 390 Fury Nitro Crossfire

Windows 8.1 Pro 64

64 GB Memory

Intel i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz

I have seen a lot of people having similar issues, but they're posting in Blizzard forums for the crashes. Nothing identifying the problem or any kind of solution, and I haven't seen anything by AMD/Radeon addressing or acknowledging the situation, or by Blizzard. I don't know what to do at this point. I was hoping the latest driver hotfixes might help, but nothing is working... and backtracking to previous drivers clear back to before the Wattman introduction initially took place doesn't help because they're not compatible with my system and was full of bugs.