1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 9:25 AM by volumetricsteve

amdgpu error on startup

volumetricsteve

I've loaded the 4.4.2.2 linux kernel and compiled it with the amdgpu driver as modular.

On startup I get the error "*ERROR* Failed to load firmware "amdgpu/fiji_smc.bin"

I did a search within the kernel source directory before and after I compiled it and I could find no trace of not just the bin file I got the error on, but any bin file.

after compiling, I did make firmware_install and make modules_install in addition to all the normal kernel stuff.  Any ideas?

Is it possible I need to install something to make amdgpu in addition to just the kernel module?  I imagine the firmware is pretty important...not sure where it's supposed to come from though.

• Re: amdgpu error on startup
          volumetricsteve

This may be the solution, but I can't test it until later:

Re: (Not Solved for me) anyone tried amdgpu (kernel module) | Gentoo | User

> > Have you tried this firmware package instead, sys-firmware/amdgpu-ucode?
          > > 
          > > Do you have the firmware included in your kernel config file?
          > > 
          > > Device Drivers --->
          > > 
          > > Generic Driver Options --->
          > > 
          > > -*- Userspace firmware loading support
          > > [*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
          > > 
          > > (amdgpu/<YOUR-MODEL>.bin radeon/<YOUR-MODEL>.bin)
          > > (/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory
          > > 
          > > Yes I have the firmware includes, I'll try the amdgpu-ucode and report
          > > back.
          > > 
          > > 
          > > -------------
          > > 
          > > 
          > > Mission successful! Thanks everyone, it appears the missing sdma1.bin
          > > from linux-firmware is contained in amdgpu-ucode and after switching
          > > everything is running fine.