1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2017 3:32 AM by sapphirereg

RX 480 8GB Nitro not working with DisplayPort

regretfullname

My two side monitors support DVI-D and DisplayPort only and because the RX 480 only has one DVI-D port but two DisplayPort ports (is saying port again redundant?) I need to use at least one DisplayPort cable to connect my side monitors but I would prefer to use two as DisplayPorts are all around better. Also, I'm going to be saying DisplayPort a lot in this so I'm going to refer to it as DP because DisplayPort is starting to sound weird to me, plus, everyone loves DP. The problem is that my monitors will not display when using DP, I don't know if this is a hardware issue or a software issue or what but it's very frustrating. I know my monitors work perfectly fine because I don't have any issues when I use the DVI-D port so that isn't the issue. One strange thing that happens is that when I restart my PC the side monitors will allow me to boot into the BIOS section if my center monitor isn't connected, but if my center monitor is connected only one of the side monitors will work and the other one stays blank. Once the BIOS screen is gone the side monitors will go blank and my center monitor will boot into windows. Windows recognizes my side monitors and I can use them like I would any other monitor except they never actually will display. While they are connected they will constantly cycle in and out of power save mode (Like they turn on as soon as they power off just so they can tell me they're going into power save mode again) so I've taken to disconnecting them just because the flashing in my face is so annoying. AMD Eyefinity also recognizes the monitors and allows me to change them and use them, but of course they aren't actually displaying anything. I have not tried using a DVI-D adapter on my DP cables but I'd rather not have to go buy something, especially since this should work anyway. My side monitors are 1680x1050 which is a 16:10 aspect ratio (I got them at work for $10 each so why not?) and I don't know if that's something that matters but its worth mentioning I guess. Below is my part list and some of the things I've already tried to do to solve this issue. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

My current part list: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

TypeItemPrice
      CPUAMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core ProcessorPurchased For $0.00
      CPU CoolerCorsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU CoolerPurchased For $0.00
      MotherboardMSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ MotherboardPurchased For $0.00
      MemoryA-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 MemoryPurchased For $0.00
      StorageSandisk Z400s 128GB 2.5" Solid State DrivePurchased For $0.00
      StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard DrivePurchased For $0.00
      Video CardSapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC Video CardPurchased For $0.00
      CaseCorsair 100R ATX Mid Tower CasePurchased For $0.00
      Power SupplyEVGA 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power SupplyPurchased For $0.00
      Optical DriveLG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD WriterPurchased For $0.00
      Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bitPurchased For $0.00
      Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
      Total$0.00
      Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-28 20:26 EDT-0400
      1. Turned my PC off and on again (roughly 100 times), - Nothing
      2. Downloaded all the latest Drivers and updated the BIOS. - Nothing
      3. Cleared out everything and reinstalled the latest Drivers and BIOS. - Nothing
      4. Turned my PC off, unplugged my monitors, plugged in one Displayport and turned it on. - Nothing
      5. Turned my PC off, unplugged my monitors except my main monitor with the HDMI and turned it on then plugged the Displayports when windows was already running. - Nothing
      6. Changed my power settings to High Performance. - Nothing
      7. Have used both auto-select and Displayport only on the side monitors. - Nothing
      8. Gone through all the monitor settings to make sure it isn't blocking or preventing Displayport. - Nothing
      9. Reset both monitors to factory settings. - Nothing
      10. Re-tried steps 7 and 8. - Nothing
      11. Cried - Felt a little better, still nothing though
      12. Reinstalled Windows, that did nothing and was stupid. - Nothing
      13. Posted to Reddit hoping for help. - Nothing
      14. Posted to the AMD community forum for help. - Ongoing
        • Re: RX 480 8GB Nitro not working with DisplayPort
          sapphirereg

Same Issues here. Tried everything above.

Occasionally, when I boot my computer the 2nd display (HDMI-DVI to DVI-DP) would appear but after a few mins it goes back out and it wouldn't be able to detect the computer anymore.

Some forums were saying that I should use a DVI-D DL cable instead of an SL. Bought one but to no effect.

I'm still circulating online on how to fix this issue.