0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 3:31 AM by dementalist

Questioning Driver Stability

dementalist

I previously inquired about my device driver stopping and then recovering; and I resolved the issue by extending the TdrDelay value from "8" to "20". But now, it occurs to me there is a problem with driver stability. Every so often during gameplay, completely at random, my entire screen will freeze, as will my entire system, leaving me no choice but to hit my reset button. I have observed this problem particularly in games that render with DirectX 11 and/or DirectX 12.

According to my event viewer, there are no system errors at all when this happens, indicating there is a question of hardware stability. Considering I did not have this problem with my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB with the exact same computer hardware and setup, I can only infer that the problem is isolated to AMD's driver.

There are salient complaints online about the stability of the Crimson Edition drivers, as compared to the old Catalyst drivers. Something is causing stability in AMD's drivers and I hope that AMD is looking into it.

I enjoy my video card, a Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 470 8GB, but I only wish the driver was more stable.