19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2017 11:46 AM by laformarua

HD 8970M - Shutdown and Wattman issue

shadowa

Good day,

As above, whenever I attempt any method of shutdown/restart, my computer will hang. This is a clean install of windows 10 built 1511 with the latest AMD drivers. I have disabled startup items, reinstalled once, disabled windows 10 "fast boot" feature, and defaulted bios settings (which I do not really touch). I have probably tried more as this has been an on-going issue, but that is off the top of my head. Worthy mention, I did not have this issue with windows 8.1. On boot I receive a Wattman error:  "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure", which came with the latest drivers. Following this, I cannot change my monitor brightness as the drivers have been crashed. I must go into the device manager and re-enable Generic PnP Monitor to change my brightness. The screen is dim, still view-able. During sleep/hibernation, I just need to re-enable Generic PnP monitor, however, the monitor becomes barely visible.

System:

Alienware 18;

Windows 10;

I7 4700MQ;

HD 8970M crossfire, default clock of 950 (which I know it is 900?);

330Watt PSU;

16 GB Ram.

Any help is appreciated.

• Re: HD 8970M - Shutdown and Wattman issue
          amdmatt

You can submit a bug report here. I would recommend either rolling back to a previous working driver, or waiting for our next driver update.

nospheratu

Have you tried 16.7.2 (Non WHQL)? It will display as 16.7.3 under Radeon Settings though. If you have not tried it you can download it on the below link.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.7.2 WHQL driver download

That is the last driver which works for the members, including me, on the below thread which exhibit the same symptoms as you are experiencing.

Re: Windows 10 is freezing when shutting down or restarting

I have already submitted a bug report to AMD but it would be appreciated if you could do the same so that they are aware it affects various hardware configurations.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                shadowa

Your suggestion worked, I have been relying on the crimson software update feature to keep up-to-date with the drivers. It seemed to have provide me with ether

A) a Beta driver or;

B) an APU driver as it is the only 16.7.3 driver I see on the website.

Upon uninstalling the driver 16.7.3 and installing 16.7.2 non WHQL, all issues have gone.

nospheratu

Thanks for providing feedback shadowa.

I actually made a mistake with the (Non WHQL) it's 16.7.2 WHQL and reflects as 16.7.3 under Radeon Settings. The file name is "WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.7.2-July19". It is the same driver that you downloaded and installed from the guru3D link in my previous post.

If you have not done so already please report this issue to AMD on the below link. The more reports they receive the better our chance of receiving a fix sooner.

www.amd.com/report

sandrino

The hd 8970m does not support wattman, so that you are getting an error message like that is a little weird.

cavewaverider

Same problem here. The last driver that this doesn't happen with is 16.7.2.
                    16.7.3 and later all have the problem with Windows 10 /hard locking at the "Restarting..." or "Shutting Down..." screen (only full shut down, not quick start shutdown/kernel hibernation). The last driver I've tested and this problem occurs with is the latest 16.10.1 driver.

When will you finally fix this bug, AMD? It's super annoying, especially since Windows Update and also AMD Settings update tries to force the latest driver upon us and the latest drivers are required for some newer games to work well!

System Specs:

Alienware M18x-R2 Space Black

Intel Core i7 3840QM

32GB Kingston HyperX PnP DDR3-1600 RAM (4x8GB / 2x KHX16S9P1K2/16)

2x AMD Radeon 7970M 2GB CrossFireX

18.4" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD

Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 WLAN card

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di High-Definition 5.1 Audio with THX TruStudio Pro Software

Audio Powered by Klipsch® Speakers

1x 250GB Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB mSATA Solid State Disk

1x 2TB RAID Stripe (2x 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200RPM SATAIII HDD)

1x 512GB Seagate SATA III HDD

LG HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA40N DVD-RW + BluRay Drive

CoolerMaster NotePal U3 Black Notebook cooler

Logitech G700s Rechargeable Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 USB Joystick

Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 bit (Version 1607)

nospheratu

The new WHQL Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.1 (Released on the 13th of October) still exhibits this issue.

I've found a workaround which may help as it works on my system and allows me to use any of the drivers after 16.7.2 WHQL without the lockup on shutdown/restart. The problem seems to be ULPS again. My theory is that upon installation of the driver ULPS is enabled and when Windows tries to communicate with the secondary card during a shutdown/restart it is not responding.

Follow the below steps, hopefully it will help you as well until AMD release a fix.

1. Run DDU in safemode to uninstall your existing driver.

2. Install a driver that used to exhibit the issue but do not restart after the driver installation.

3. Disable CrossFire under Radeon Settings.

4. Using Regedit find all values named "EnableUlps" and set the data value to "0".

5. Restart your machine.

6. Enable Crossfire again under Radeon Settings (The CrossFire option will be available on your secondary card's tab).

7. Done. You should not experience the freeze/lockup on shutdown/restart again.

ray_m and amdmatt can you please log an engineering ticket for on behalf of us CrossFire users. It seems to be affecting mostly GCN 1.0 cards, both mobile and desktop.

shadowa

I tried the 2 new drivers as well, 16.9 had no issues other than random notebook restarts which did not occur alot, only a few times such as when I alt+tabbed a game, specifically H1Z1. Also, when playing, the weapon HUD is all messed up. I see 3/4 grenades in the slots upon picking up, or when I switch to different slots it will show that item in other slots with maybe one icon of its own, it holds true with only 1 item in your possession. I also noticed minor fps drops. When playing something optimized like MGSV, I noticed no issues at all.

I then tried to use 16.10.1 which I think it said fixes some flickering/power issues? At this rate I do not even care. I installed them, tried H1Z1, the game had no changes based on above. Also, the restart/shutdown hanging came back. When I reverted to 16.7.2, all issues are gone. I think I will wait until the next drivers as I do not think ULPS will fix the flickering? However, now that you mentioned it, I would have liked to try it before reverting.

My personal impression of AMD is to not buy another home use product from them. Even support directed me to an outdated support URL which has 2 broken company links and nothing to do with windows 10 (I found file size differences for each OS, not sure if the updates are OS specific) .

nospheratu

I dont think disabling ULPS will resolve the flicker either but it's been always been the go to fix for CrossFire users as it can cause some really wierd issues.

I wouldn't write-off AMD just yet. I understand that you're frustrated and just want to game with the hardware that should work as advertised but if you were to go with nVIDIA and SLi that's another rocky path. I think the lesson we can take away from this is running multi-GPU isn't ideal. The best experience can be had by running a single powerful card. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending AMD's inability to deliver an issue free CrossFire experience and the fact that they keep promoting multi-GPU for VR isn't helping matters. If they are promoting multi-GPU then they need to ensure it works as it should. These type of issues are OS related and have nothing to do with the way a particular game engine renders.

With regards to their email customer support, I don't even bother anymore. They are insincere, incompetent and I honestly think a bot would be able to provide a better customer experience. They mostly copy and paste responses anyway without even reading your email properly. The best we can do is use the driver reporting form and cross fingers other users that are experiencing the same issues are doing the same. The support engineers on this forum also are very helpful but I get the feeling they selectively choose the issues they want to respond on in case it can't be resolved and don't want any record of acknowledgement.

shadowa

Windows 10 just updated (rather downgraded) to Dells R9 M290x driver. Quite a pain.

Even if Nvidia does have issues, I have heard less problems on there end then AMDs. Regardless, even a single GPU from Nvidia performs better than a single AMD, which makes up for SLI in some or most games. I even considered selling both HD 8970Ms and picking up a single GTX 1080M. But that would be a long/costly process which I cannot do unless I install it myself on free time.

The AMD card itself is 3 years old or older and I have not seen much fixes in the games I play, nor features such as crossfire borderless; which I think that is on windows side? Most players or companies tend to reason that AMD is "the issue" when I contact game companies themselves. Rumors are there drivers are more stable and reliable which I cannot speak much of as I have never had one before. It sounds tempting however and it will probably be used in my desktop build.

Currently, I cannot even run Ark Survival evolved, which has ran in the past. I do not plan on going back an x amount of drivers to figure out whether or not that will solve my problem, one day I randomly got in-game fps drops, so I took a break from playing. Now it just hard crashes half ways while loading a map or after it fully loads. This forces me to usually hold the power button. I have not had issues in the past playing this game, and I already re-validated files. If the game was an issue, I am sure issues would occur during startup, plus Ark offers many tweaks on launch to disable effects and use low memory, I personally only tried the 4gb memory one and I may play with it some more later.

nospheratu

The new WHQL Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.2 still exhibits this issue.

The workaround of disabling CrossFire and ULPS before restarting the system after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire after the restart still works.

ray_m , amdmatt

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.11.5 still exhibits this issue.

Disabling CrossFire and ULPS before restarting the system after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire after the restart still works.

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Relive Edition 16.12.1 still exhibits this issue.

Disabling CrossFire and ULPS before restarting the system after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire after the restart still works.

On a somewhat "positive" note the below is listed under the Known Issues in this drivers change log.

• AMD Multi GPU configurations may experience a system hang or reboot during install when using tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

Hopefully once this is resolved it fixes our issue as well as the symptoms are the same although I am not running tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Relive Edition 16.12.2 (December 19 and January 3) still exhibits this issue.

The below is still listed under the Known Issues in this drivers change log for the January 3 release.

• AMD Multi GPU configurations may experience a system hang or reboot during install when using tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

Hopefully once this is resolved it fixes our issue as well as the symptoms are the same although I am not running tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Relive Edition 17.3.2 and 17.3.3 still exhibits this issue.

Disabling CrossFire and ULPS after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire again before restarting the system resolves the issue.

Unrelated: Are any of you able to run any multi GPU DirectX12 applications/games? eg, 3Dmark Timespy