Install new GPU software, screen is black on reboot

flashnerm

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
        • Sapphire Radeon 7800 HD Series
      • Desktop System
      • Operating System - Windows 7 64bit
        • Driver version installed
          • Installed Both Crimson Edition 16.9.2 Hotfix and Crimson Edition 16.7.3
        • Display Devices
          • 25" LG monitor, HDMI connection
        • Motherboard
          • ASRock Z77 Pro3
        • CPU/APU
          • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
        • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
          • CORSAIR 750W
        • RAM
          • 16GB

Describe your issue:

Randomly booted up one morning and the screen showcased the motherboard initial startup. Windows logo kicked in, then black screen after. Never saw the login screen.

I have seen this in the past so I thought it would be the graphics card. I did a uninstall of the driver in safe mode and rebooted. No connections changed, HDMI still in video card, I rebooted the computer in normal mode and it worked fine. I reloaded 16.9.2 and restarted. Black screen still came up on initial boot. I tried the previous version, same method and same result, black screen.

I then proceed to remove the card from my computer, clean it up, check connections and everything seemed fine. The card has 2x6pins going into the card, replugged everything in to ensure there wasn't a short. Fans were working just fine. I did a memory diagnostic tool through windows, didn't help.

My last ditch resort is a redo of the operating system, which I will be doing today. This is to only see if I do a clean install of windows there might be a registry issue that might be interfering with the card software interacting with windows. After this, I'm out of ideas. Worst case the card is dead with software, works baseline with windows software.

Any input on other actions to work through would be helpful. I appreciate your time and help.

• Re: Install new GPU software, screen is black on reboot
            demolition460

Do you get a black screen with a cursor once it starts installing the display driver?

rwgtroll

you should look to see if your Intel graphics turned on and was made the primary display device

flashnerm

To what end? What would be the workflow to determine if this is the cause?

I looked in device manager, literally for Display Adapters it just lists them. There is not check to state primary or secondary like a plug and play element.

The only thing I can think is to disable the intel drive, restart and see if the card still runs it. Might actually determine if the base card is running of if its just getting a feed from the motherboard. I'll reply back with my results.

flashnerm

UPDATE:

Just did a backup on all my files. Did a clean install. Installed all windows updates then installed latest driver.

Black Screen. Something is wrong with the card, I can't say I am surprised as its 4 years old. I'll close this out, hopefully someone can use this to help aid in their troubleshooting if this happens again.

Simply put, unless its a new card going into an older system and you still have old software running, its safe to reinstall everything. If you have a card that just doesn't work, then it just doesn't work.

maxhardy

My laptop intel i5 not switchable + amd radeon hd 7650m  2GB GPU i update Crimson then issue

started black screen on windows logon. then i clean the hard-disk ,installed new OS windows 8,8.1,10

when i try install any official stock catalyst or crimson ,DDU,amdcleaneruntlity,registry cleaner.

while installing display driver issue with black screen crash and some time mouse is showing flickering .....

i try many driver version not able install stuck or freezing..after only way hard shutdown

then i try uninstall amd display driver on safe mode then it able to login normal with Basic display adapter.

now unable to install any amd display driver for GPU it useless...

i have no found any solution in forums .

finally i find the fix for my laptop  Amd HD 7650M 2GB + i5 intel

a.black screen issue when logon and b.installation black screen

1st try with hdmi / vga connected second monitor then try to install  or try to turn on laptop still issue persists

it a hardware failure gpu dead.try below step it worked for me.

1. need "air heat gun" and "heat thermal paste".

2. disassemble laptop fully.

3.remove heat sink with fan from motherboard clean the fan dust if your have and now able to find chip process and AMD  Gpu in laptop.

4.read the chip which one is GPU and take "air heat gun" blow up-to 5 to 10 min then wait to cool 30 min don't touch chip.

5.put the thermal paste on both intel proccess + amd gpu chip place the heat sink carefully.and assemble your laptop

6. turn on  install any catalyst driver .i have install 15.11 catalyst  (don't install crimson driver it burn your GPU)

and enjoy

it working fine for me...

this very risk i have sony laptop the company is closed . i have no choice to service. i done by myself.

it help someone keep try any dead gpu and black screen issue