10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 10:22 AM by istvan_porter

Computer restarts!

istvan_porter

Case : NZXT Phantom 410

CPU : AMD FX - 8350 4GHZ Socket AM3+ 8MB Cache - not overclocked still on stock

Motherboard : AMD 970 Gaming

GPU : AMD R9 390 Gaming 8GB - not overclocked still on stock

Hard driver : Western Digital 1TB

SSD : Crucial MX 128GB

Memory : Crucial 16 GB 2x 8G

Power Supply : Corsair Vs550 ATX 550 Watt

Drivers : 16.9.2

Whenever I go play a game my computer overheats and restarts itself, is their anything about this build that could be affecting the problem or my CPU is just getting to hot,power supply etc ?amdmatt

• Re: Computer restarts!
          arcticwind

Your FX-8350 uses 125w and the video card takes 225w (Visiontek) or 275w (MSI) depending on what brand it is.

Are you using the AMD stock cooler on the CPU?  Is their Thermal Grease on it?

Go into the event viewer to see what happened before it shutdown. 

Visiontek spec's - 750W (or greater) power supply with one 150W 8-pin PCI Express power connector and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended.

istvan_porter

Yeahs its a msi video card

I am using the amd stock cooler on the cpu, I have had the cpu since 29th July 2015, probably about time I reapplied the thermal grease on ?

Yeah I will check the event viewer before my computer shutdown

Is 860W power supply a over or which brand would you recommend for this build ?

arcticwind

An 860w power supply should be more than enough to run that machine.

You have a lot of money tied up in that system, you shouldn't economize on the power supply.

I think using a Gold rated power supply would be a safe bet performance wise.

I use a Corsair RM850, gold rated and rock solid for over 3 years running! 

istvan_porter

So do you think that it may have been my power supply that I currently have may have been effecting my computer to overheat and restart ?

arcticwind

From the information you provided, I would say that is the most likely cause.

But, check the event viewer to see if something else is happening.

Also check the CPU fan and the thermal grease to rule that out as a cause.

You can also check the temps in the BIOS to see if anything is running hot. 

istvan_porter

http://puu.sh/rpwM1.png

Thats from the event viewer

arcticwind

That's were you start...  Click on those to open up the individual line items and look for items around the time that your computer shuts down.  That should give you more info on what may be causing the shutdowns. 

istvan_porter

http://puu.sh/rpzAA.png

ffs, im so done...

techguy

More than likely the PSU is at least one of your issues as you need at least 50 amps. on the 12v rail for an FX-8000 series CPU IME. I'd suggest two things to start-

1. Download the free applet OCCT and read the "Read Me" file so you know how to adjust it to record the CPU frequency, vcore voltage, internal CPU temp, etc.

2. Download and run Memtest86+ V 5.0 or later and run it overnight to see if you have RAM issues.

Once you have OCCT running you can play a game or stress test your PC with Prime95 or the OCCT Stress test option to see what is actually happening with your PC when it overheats and reboots. If the CPU is overheating (61C is the Max INTERNAL CPU temp), with the OEM HSF then you have either a HSF installation issue or insufficient PC case airflow to remove the hot air the HSF creates cooling the CPU. If you are using an aftermarket HSF then it may not have sufficient thermal capacity to cool the FX-8000 series CPUs which draw a lot of power because they have 8 actual cores. If you find that you have RAM issues then you can try swapping RAM slots or removing one DIMM to see if the issues stop. You may find updating to the latest BIOS for your model and Rev. mobo helps resolve RAM or other issues including rebooting/BSOD.

If your HSF is just too low of capacity for the FX-8350 CPU then you can upgrade to any number of relatively inexpensive quality aftermarket HSFs. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO series are excellent and typically ~$40 from Newegg.

Coolermaster AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hyper 212 Evo FrostyTech Review

istvan_porter

So I have purchased Corsair RM850 and The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO series, with both of these now fitted into my computer case and played Battlefield 3 for 2 - 3 hours and now my computer does not restart itself now while I am playing battlefield 3, and now my problem is resolved, it was just the power supply wattage and the cpu that overheated.

so thank for your guys help.